Akai s3200

chrisshennan

Hello, I've just picked up an Akai S3200 for £40. No manual and just a 'start up' floppy disk inserted.
I have no real idea about what it can do so I thought I'd ask you good people.

Basically I've been using Ableton for about a year now with varying degrees of success.

I've picked up this hardware sampler for a few reasons. 1) because I'm interested in using hardware stuff as a way for me to concentrate a bit more and get off the endless vst roundabout. And b) I have a medical issue with staring at a computer screen for too long so in trying to get my screen time down to a minimum.

Just wanted some friendly advice from people who have a similar setup or have used one.

Do I just sample vinyl on it? Is it best used with a keyboard? Can I get other floppy disks with sounds on them? Can I/should I plug it into anything else? My MacBook with ableton?

I also have an alesis 3630 and I'm in a similar situation with not knowing how best to use it.

I came across this video with a similar setup

Hyped Up - Akai S900, Alesis 3630 quickie - YouTube

Where are the drum sounds coming from? Is it all sampled from vinyl?
Just feels like a minefield tbh but I'd love to give some stuff a go if anyone has any experience?
Maybe it won't work out but I thought, for that amount of money, might be worth a shot right?

Also, please don't say "read the manual" because I haven't got one.

Thanks

Try searching you tube for the sampler.

For the 3630 there's nothing enigmatic about the compressor.
Again to grasp the basic concepts and parameter controls you could do worse than you tube tutorials.
Most of all trust your ears with the setting up. Less is more unless your using it as an effect.
The gate is handy too.

Back