Advice: GAP Pre73 mk I -or- Presonus Eureka

loveofjazz

Sheep Defiler
Got an opportunity to pick up one of the following...

Presonus Eureka

-or-

GAP Pre73 mk I

I liked the idea of using a channel strip, but feel like I could do any compression or EQing with plug-ins in the box. Thoughts?

Yup, what John said. ;)

Now if you want to keep an eye out for a channel strip be looking for a used Meek Q3 or a Chameleon Labs 7602 MKII.

Thanks, guys.
As much as I would have like to go the route of the Eureka, I can't say I've seen all the positive responses for it as I've found for the Pre73. You two tend to offer pretty top-notch advise. Thanks for weighing in.
-jimbo

I'll third the GAP.

It works for so many sources. Plus you can always get really nice compression and EQ from your DAW, so I'd put the money into maximizing the preamp.

If in the future you wanna build a little channel strip, they also make an EQ and Comp that I've never used, but they seem pretty cool.

Yeah, I saw those. It would be interesting to try if one or both came up for sale. I ended up with an RNC recently, so I'm itching to try them together, too.
Confirmed the order just a few minutes ago. Looking forward to this. :)

A quick web search reveals several mods/tweaks to help squeeze even more character out of the Pre73 - changing over the transformers to Carnhills, for example. Also capacitor and transistor upgrades.

Paul

I love modding gear and building gear, so I was excited to rip into my stock GAP when it arrived. But, it sounds so good I don't really see a need to. I'd like to get a second and mod it and then eventually mod the first so they match, but I want to have the stock to compare it to.

Basically, it's so good out of the box that I haven't even looked into moding it.

From my experience with both pres I preferred the Eureka a lot! The PRE73 I had was noisy. The Eureka was much cleaner and without the noise of the PRE73.

I've since moved on from those pres and now own a Focusrite Liquid Channel, UA Solo 610 and Focusrite ISA One digital. I no longer looking to buy or upgrade my pres from these.

I have the ISA One, and it is absolutely outstanding. Other than that, I've got a couple of DMP3's and Tube MP's. I had been really curious about the Pre73, and I found a used one at a good price. I'm looking forward to this.

Sat down and recorded a cover tonight with just the Pre73 and a Shure SM7b.
I am very pleased. :)
MP3 Player SoundClick

No effects or EQ on any particular track. Volume adjustment, panning, and minor volume automation on the separate tracks.
EQ on the master buss only (Nomad Factory PulseTec EQ).
Had a lot of fun playing the percussion on this, too. :)

Sat down and recorded a cover tonight with just the Pre73 and a Shure SM7b.
I am very pleased. :)
MP3 Player SoundClick

No effects or EQ on any particular track. Volume adjustment, panning, and minor volume automation on the separate tracks.
EQ on the master buss only (Nomad Factory PulseTec EQ).
Had a lot of fun playing the percussion on this, too. :)

Cool sounds great man! Loved the percussion and the guitar break. Great job :)

Really nice song... Loved the guitar sound... but I think the vocals sit back just a little too much, the volume's there, just sounds a bit too flat, no brilliance...

Appreciate that, guys.
Like I said...no major tweakage when I finished tracking. Had other stuff to get to.
Really thrilled with that combo, though. :) :) :)

Back