Adding a vintage reel-to-reel to the mic -> pre chain?

zonymash

I am currently running an Apogee Duet/Macbook setup for convenience, but I am aiming for old Motown-type sounds. I can usually get close to what I'm after through careful mic placement and EQ, but I'm wondering about the possibility of running things through an old Pioneer QT 6600 reel-to-reel before they hit the Apogee Duet. I'm looking to introduce some analog color into the signal chain. Would this be a good way to do it? I also have an old Roland RE-201 Space Echo, and I was wondering if I could use this for a similar purpose.

Mark

At risk of stating the obvious--the best way to find out is try it and see if it works. Some great recordings were made trying stuff out to see what would happen.

Id put it in the chain between the HD and the burner in the mastering stage...but the best way to do it is an old tube/spring reverb that you dont have to calibrate...you get a nice vintage sound that way.

I am currently running an Apogee Duet/Macbook setup for convenience, but I am aiming for old Motown-type sounds. I can usually get close to what I'm after through careful mic placement and EQ, but I'm wondering about the possibility of running things through an old Pioneer QT 6600 reel-to-reel before they hit the Apogee Duet. I'm looking to introduce some analog color into the signal chain. Would this be a good way to do it? I also have an old Roland RE-201 Space Echo, and I was wondering if I could use this for a similar purpose.

Mark

I think you are going to have to address this with someone who knows the specific machine you are considering. The reason is I do not believe most machines will be outputting from the tape. As in, it would probably be "monitoring" (outputting) a parallel feed from the input as opposed to playing what just hit tape. If it did I would think there would be a noticeable delay on most machines. Maybe the pro machines addressed this, but you should ask before investing money.

It will if you record it to tape then play it back into the program it will every time...It just doeant work in the tracking stage...unless its rigged to be an echo.

I think you are going to have to address this with someone who knows the specific machine you are considering. The reason is I do not believe most machines will be outputting from the tape. As in, it would probably be "monitoring" (outputting) a parallel feed from the input as opposed to playing what just hit tape. If it did I would think there would be a noticeable delay on most machines. Maybe the pro machines addressed this, but you should ask before investing money.

AFAIK, this is true. Unless the deck has a switch that specifically allows you to output from different heads, you would probably be hearing the original source, not monitoring from tape. Multi-track decks allow you to monitor from the record head (for obvious reasons - like so overdubs line up with what is already recorded), but the quality is not as good as when you switch back to listening from the playback head like you would for mixdown. The playback head is delayed slightly from the record head since the tape hits them at different times.

Doing what you want to do is difficult. I guess you could record to tape, dump to digital and record overdubs to tape while listening to the already-recorded stuff, then dump to digital again, then line everything up before the next overdub.

You could also record everyting digital and send the whole mix to tape and back. Tracking to tape first sounds better to me, but it is substantially more complicated when you need more tracks than you have on the tape machine. You really have to listen and decide if the extra pass through the converters and the possible unwanted artifacts of a consumer-grade tape deck degrade the signal more than the intended benefit of tape (which I love, don't get me wrong). That's one of the reasons going tape first is better - only one trip through the converters.

There's some really smart tape folks in the analog forum here, btw.

Ritchie Blackmore used a tape machine as a preamp for his guitar during the Mk. III years of Deep Purple (1974-75)...and he has some of the best tones in existence.

AFAIK, this is true. Unless the deck has a switch that specifically allows you to output from different heads, you would probably be hearing the original source, not monitoring from tape. Multi-track decks allow you to monitor from the record head (for obvious reasons - like so overdubs line up with what is already recorded), but the quality is not as good as when you switch back to listening from the playback head like you would for mixdown. The playback head is delayed slightly from the record head since the tape hits them at different times.

Doing what you want to do is difficult. I guess you could record to tape, dump to digital and record overdubs to tape while listening to the already-recorded stuff, then dump to digital again, then line everything up before the next overdub.

You could also record everyting digital and send the whole mix to tape and back. Tracking to tape first sounds better to me, but it is substantially more complicated when you need more tracks than you have on the tape machine. You really have to listen and decide if the extra pass through the converters and the possible unwanted artifacts of a consumer-grade tape deck degrade the signal more than the intended benefit of tape (which I love, don't get me wrong). That's one of the reasons going tape first is better - only one trip through the converters.

There's some really smart tape folks in the analog forum here, btw.

The whole problem is that it will layer on any noise you think is warming it up...and you will end up with a bunch of tracks that have a real problem...you might just use it on a couple of tracks going in...and then on the output stage...Id pick the vocal and main out front instrument.

I reckon you should post the song on line & then, when it's revived a year or more later, you'll have the vintage sound just by the aging process!
THAT sound you're after comes from tape compression with big tape & fast speed.
I often track to tape before uploading - but just a cassette 4 track. I've tried using a good 60's domestic reel & there's just too much work calibrating noise reduction etc to balance any colouring achieved (minimal) against noise. It doesn't really impart the sound you're after - I just happen to like the pres in the 4 track & the click of buttons.

Back