Adding a reverb unit to my setup - help

Dropped Z

Hey everybody - this is one of my first posts here. Thanks for taking time to read.

I am trying to connect my new Lexicon MX200 to my existing setup of Cubase SX3 and a M-Audio FW 410 card.

In Cubase, I set up an "External FX" and assigned the available S/PDIF in/outs to the Lexicon. Then I created an FX Channel pointed at the newly created FX buss.

Now when I go to a track and go to Sends, I see the Lexmark MX200 and can send it there, but nothing is coming back. On the M-Audio card itself I see the spdif out light lights up, and on the Lexmark I see from the lights that audio is coming IN - but nothing is coming back.

Is there some place else I need to assign the routing to come back into my setup? Hope I've explained this clearly enough. Thanks in advance!

I'll give this a shot. Have you tried arming a track and recording to it?
I have a feed out to my Boss BR864 from my E-mu/Cakewalk setup and back. I cannot take a live signal (plug my guitar in and play it directly out to the external device). It has to be a previously recorded track. While I can see the level meters bounce and monitor the effects in real time, I don't see any waveform pictures until I've actually recorded the input.
I've monkeyed with Cubase SE from time to time, but coming from CW, I don't find it as intuitive. So whatever is analogous to setting up a track to record from the Lexicon, arming it and recording it, will probably work.
Hope this works for you. Good Luck

Yeah I've tried it via previously recorded audio as well as live playing. I'm starting to think the digital out on this Lexicon is busted. I can't think of anything else. I've messed around in the M-Audio's interface to see if I have stuff routed properly and it SEEMS fine but I don't really understand the routing there.

How about returns?

There's not a return section per se. In Cubase SX the effect is setup via a External FX section that specifies the inputs and output channels. Then when I send an effect (either internal or external) it goes out to the effect and comes back.

However, there may be some sort of routing in the m-audio firewire card that I'm missing so that things are routed back into the audio card. I'm not sure... this is the first time I've dealt with an external piece hardware effect.

You made no mention of the USB cable. According to the manual, (page 35) that needs to be connected to control the plug-in window.

Just thought I would ask.

You made no mention of the USB cable. According to the manual, (page 35) that needs to be connected to control the plug-in window.

Just thought I would ask.

I've tried it with and without the USB cable. The Lexicon software that allows you to control the unit's settings and presets was working the whole time. Eventually I tried unplugging it and didn't have any luck.

I'm starting to think it's some sort of routing within my M-Audio FW 410. Or maybe something to do with getting it to sync to the Lexicon. Still unsure though.

You may be right. You should use the process-of-elimination to narrow it down. Here are more things to consider...

Think of your recording software as being completely separate from the hardware jacks on your interface. The routing software that comes with most interfaces simply allows you to connect the two together. You must choose which hardware input should be connected to which software input in the recording software, (and visa-versa for outputs.) Study what is selected and try to reason where the signal goes/ends up in the software. Furthermore, some recording software allows you to connect each individual track to any software or hardware input or output.

Do you have any other S/PDIF gear that you can send signal into that same S/PDIF cable? I mean using that same record channel that you have set up for the MX200. At least then you would know if it is a routing problem or the MX200 itself.

Do the meters on the MX200 show signal present when you test it?

Is there a switch/setting on the MX200 to choose which output to use...analog or digital?

Try connecting the MX200 by using the analog cables instead of S/PDIF.

Something's got to give sooner or later. :D

Last edited:
You may be right. You should use the process-of-elimination to narrow it down. Here are more things to consider...

Think of your recording software as being completely separate from the hardware jacks on your interface. The routing software that comes with most interfaces simply allows you to connect the two together. You must choose which hardware input should be connected to which software input in the recording software, (and visa-versa for outputs.) Study what is selected and try to reason where the signal goes/ends up in the software. Furthermore, some recording software allows you to connect each individual track to any software or hardware input or output.

Do you have any other S/PDIF gear that you can send signal into that same S/PDIF cable? I mean using that same record channel that you have set up for the MX200. At least then you would know if it is a routing problem or the MX200 itself.

Do the meters on the MX200 show signal present when you test it?

Is there a switch/setting on the MX200 to choose which output to use...analog or digital?

Try connecting the MX200 by using the analog cables instead of S/PDIF.

Something's got to give sooner or later. :D

Great suggestions and input RD!

-I do not have any other spdif gear but I wish I did so that I could test.

-The meters on the MX200 DO light up so I know signal is getting over to the MX200.

-There is not a switch on the MX200 but there is a light that indicates if it is hooked up digitally and it is lit. It dims when you unplug the spdif cables. Also, the audio card has a light for spdif in and spdif out. I can see the spdif out light flash and/or stay lit while signal is coming in. The spdif out light never lights up.

-I'm pretty sure the analog cables will work because I've been using it live via analog for a couple weeks.

Here is a thread I have up over at the M-Audio forum:

http://forums.m-audio.com/showthread.php?t=15272

I linked another thread there where someone describes changing the sound card under the Windows Control Panel so that the default recording device is "M-Audio Firewire SPDIF" rather than "M-Audio Firewire Multi". I am going to go home at lunch just to try this. I am going to get this thing figured out!!!

Back