About to hit Order... does this look decent?

katlis

Pieced together my first little setup. I want to do acoustic guitar recordings with some vocals. The gist:

ART Tube MP Preamp
MXL V63M Studio Condenser Mic
Lexicon Alpha USB

Full list:
musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=accessories/shop/wishlist/?cust_id=749713887

How's it lookin? Am I on the right track here? Will this get me started with decent results?

I appreciate any help.

Well, I play electric bass as well as record acoustic guitar, vocals and drums... never had to generate the bass lines in software. Sorry :(

I would only get a USB audio interface if you are going to record everything in one track. Most have a pretty noticeable latency (lag) and it is pretty distracting to try to perform in synch when you are hearing your own voice/guitar playing lagging behind the actual sound...

If portability is not a big concern you can get a M-Audio or Emu card with 2 channels of quality audio for around $100, and do away with that latency...

This is a good point. I just don't have any suggestions as to what firewire interface you should get. Plus, you will probably then need to install a firewire card in your desktop, which isn't difficult, and only 15 bucks, but it is still something to think about.

Back