8 Channel Preamp: How does one decide?

scottn5388

So this topic has been beaten to death, but I am still left wondering which 8 channel preamp is the best for me.

I have basically narrowed it down to the M-Audio Octane vs. the PreSonus Digimax FS. They are both the same price, very similar features.

I think I am only leaning toward the Digimax because it is only 1 rack space, however, the Octane has the I/Os on the back. I probably won't the M-S Matrix on the Octane or the inserts on the Digimax. I need 8 decent preamps with analog direct outs (to run to my M-Audio Delta 1010), phantom power, and ADAT for future setups.

I don't think the Octane is any more compatible with my 1010 than the Digimax. It seems at this point the only thing influencing my decision is the layout of the damn thing.

Anyone willing to offer some advice? Or maybe A/B the two? Anything to help sway my decision would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Scott

Another option: Buy a small mixer that has preamps with direct out, such as a Mackie or Behringer. The preamps of these are really quite adequate for nearly anything, and you get a mixer too !

I have listended to the Mackie VLZ pro, and the Behringer preamps side-by-side and like the Behr. better. they both compare favorably to much higher priced preamps.

I already have a small mixer, but need 8 portable rack-mount preamps. The SP828 looks nice, but is a bit out of my price range. However, if the Studio Projects preamps sound much better than PreSonus or M-Audio, I could consider it. I still think the Digimax and Octane are the two I need to decide between.

Any more feedback?

Thanks!

-Scott

scottn5388 said:
I already have a small mixer, but need 8 portable rack-mount preamps. The SP828 looks nice, but is a bit out of my price range. However, if the Studio Projects preamps sound much better than PreSonus or M-Audio, I could consider it. I still think the Digimax and Octane are the two I need to decide between.

Any more feedback?

Thanks!

-Scott

All the pre's you're mentioning are basically all slightly different shades of grey, if you get my meaning. None will be significantly different or better than the other. You'd be surprised at how shockingly similar most prosumer gear sounds.

jonnyc said:
All the pre's you're mentioning are basically all slightly different shades of grey, if you get my meaning. None will be significantly different or better than the other. You'd be surprised at how shockingly similar most prosumer gear sounds.

hit the nail on the head.

scottn5388 said:
So should I just pick one and be done with it? That sounds like an excellent plan to me.

No. I agree that most pre-amps in this class sound pretty close, the main thing is to look at every feature available and make sure that the specific pre-amp you get has everything you think you will need (and use!). For instance, say one has a digital out and the other one does not, and you know you will never ever use that digital out, then if the other one has some other feature you will use, get that one.

I am trying to say don't just pick one 'cause they all sound the same, pick the one you can get the most use out of.

MCI2424 said:
No. I agree that most pre-amps in this class sound pretty close, the main thing is to look at every feature available and make sure that the specific pre-amp you get has everything you think you will need (and use!). For instance, say one has a digital out and the other one does not, and you know you will never ever use that digital out, then if the other one has some other feature you will use, get that one.

I am trying to say don't just pick one 'cause they all sound the same, pick the one you can get the most use out of.

Yes, I wasn't saying to just go grab anyone of the pre's, grab the one that suits you best feature wise without worrying so much about sound.

To my ear I would say of anything mentioned above, the Onyx is the one thing with a slightly different sound. I find the Onyx pres to be very "British" sounding meaning a certain fullness in the mid range that many of the other offerings lack. Not that this is good or bad, just my observation. I personally like that sound.

Back