8 Channel Firewire Preamp with Analog Limiters Under $1000 ?

Nityananda_SCSM

Hello everyone. Love the forum, though I rarely post.
I'm hoping to get some advice/experiences on a preamp/firewire interface.

I want an 8+ channel Firewire Interface / Preamp with built-in limiters that is under $1000.

The only one that I have found at all is the Presonus Firestudio Tube, which has 8 XMAX preamps and two "Superchannel" tube preamps with built-in analag limiters. This seems great except that the Firestudio Tube has no digital I/O!! No ADAT, No SPDIF, etc. Only analog I/O and a MIDI-in. I have some (non-essential) digital I/O needs so this is not ideal.
Also, I don't know:
- If the Firestudio Tube has a "real" tube preamp or a "semi-tube" preamp, and what the quality of this preamp is.
- If the analog limiter is any good and if it is situated in the signal chain properly (before the A/D conversion, etc.)

My other option was buying a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 or Presonus Firestudio and then buying some (under $250) external limiters to feed into them. They would have to be kind of small though, not a full rack size. I need a pretty portable rig. I really only need 1 or 2 channels of limiter. I am kind of attracted to the "tube" offering of the Firestudio tube though, and I don't know (and would love to know) if you will lose some quality by running an external compressor/limiter preamp into a 1/4" input on the back of a Focusrite as opposed to the built-in limiter/preamp in the Firestudio Tube.

So if you know of any other 8 channel Preamps with 1 or 2 limiters built in to them under $1000 or if you can recommend which option is better (Firestudio tube or Saffire Pro 40 with external limiters) I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for your help!

BTW The Focusrite Pro 40 has realized a new firmware which allows the unit to operate in stand-alone mode, in case anybody wants to know.

The Line 6 TonePort UX8 looks interesting, but I don't think it has analog limiters, which I have to have. Software/DSP limiters can't really fix a distorted signal once it has converted from analog-to-digtal.
What's the Tascam unit's model number?
Thanks for the info.

I dont think anyone has onboard analog limiters...I use 4 channels of dbx160s on the outputs...the limiters are digital on most of this stuff.

The Firestudio Tube has two "Tube Superchannels" with built in analog limiters.
http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=51

"The FireStudio Tube’s Limiter features a VCA-based ultra fast Dual Domain RMS and peak detection circuit used in the award-winning DigiMax 96K, delivering the most musical limiter available. The Analog Dual Domain Limiters in the SuperChannel are located after the preamplifier and BEFORE the analog to digital converter in the signal path. This allows you to maintain high resolution recording levels without clipping, allowing you to keep the vocals up front, the kick and snare consistent, and the bass solid and punchy. Controls for the limiter include Threshold and Gain make-up as well as a Limiter in/out button. Fast-acting LED metering on the front panel displays preamp input and limiter gain reduction for the two tube SuperChannels."

Really, not necessary? I think for what I'm recording they will be.
I am recording all-live, very dynamic spontaneous devotional music sung by people who are not at all used to recording. There is no option of retakes. The last recordings I made without a limiter I got a lot of clipping because of unexpected great leaps in volume, somebody decides to yell or really "dig deep" and belly it out. It sounds great live in the room actually but I don't think that just keeping the meters at %50 or %60 would solve my problem, because crazy stuff can happen with this content.

I am having the same dilema deciding between the Marantz PMD661 and the Tascam DR-100 as my portable option. THe PMD661 looks way better but no limiters! The Dr-100 has analog limiters but not very good line-in, preamps, build quality. Tough call for someone like me who deals with very uncontrolled content!

The Saffire Pro 40 also seems to use DICE II... I thought that the Firestudio TUBE version was doing OK stability wise, maybe not though.

I appreciate your advice very much, I would like to hear more. :)

How about look for an interface that allows patching in stand alone dynamics?
..somebody decides to yell or really "dig deep" and belly it out. It sounds great live in the room actually ..

Understood. The safety net is desirable. But also consider that the pa end can handle it- with available head room. 24bit can also. Just as you would set a mixer/pre's gain to allow for the largest signal possible, then that dictates the record level minus a few more db for good measure.

"How about look for an interface that allows patching in stand alone dynamics? "

Well, that is my other option. I can use a Saffire Pro 40 (or whatever) with 1/4" line-inputs /inserts and buy an external limiter or two and plug those in.
There are a few problems with this for me.
1. It makes it larger and less portable. I will be sitting on the floor in a temple recording in a very live and uncontrolled environment. I want as portable and compact as possible (while still being a high quality pre)
2. It makes it more expensive. The Firestudio Tube is not a bad deal. $700 street with rebates and deals out there. The Saffire Pro 40 is $500 street (also deals are out there) and buying TWO external limiters would make it $700-$750.
The Firestudio Tube gives you 10 XLR Preamps plus 6 line-ins (although these are kinda sucky apparently) and 114dB dynamic range converters, which supposedly are good.

But if I would have a better interface with better (external) limiters for close to the same price buying something else then I welcome your suggestions! :)

Any thoughts on the neccessity of analog limiters? Am I freaking out about nothing..?

"The FireStudio Tube touts A/D/A converters with a dynamic range of over 114dB for unbelievable clarity..." (Presonus site)

I need 8 XLR channels with analog limiters. I could go with the RME option, and that would probably be the best way to go. But, two Fireface 800's =$1450 street x 2 = $2900 for 8 channels.

At that point I could buy the Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2 digital mixer with 16 channels all limited and a whole mixing console. $2000 street. Pretty good deal but more than I want to spend, more than I need, and bigger than I want.
http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=52

The only interface I found was the MOTU 896mk3, which has analog limiters on all 8 channels plus some other goodies. It looks like a good option, but it is kind of expensive, more than I need, bigger than I want (2U rack), and potentially mediocre quality preamps. (Still researching those.) Still, at $995 street it is good option, and many people seem to like it.

Also an option is a cheap ADAT recorder (TC Electronic Konnekt Live or something cheaper) combined with either the Presonus Digimax 96k or the Focusrite Octopre. This gets a little pricey though and large, but it's also a good option. What's the cheapest quality small ADAT recorder/firewire interface you know of?

So now I am looking at the MOTU 896mk3 or a digital mixer/preamp/interface combo like the Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2. Does anybody know of a digital mixer/interface/preamp like the Studiolive that has 8 channels instead of 16?

If there was a half-size Presonus Studiolive (8 channels, half price) then that would be perfect.

The hunt continues...

Thanks for the input!

Back