8 Channel Firewire Preamp with Analog Limiters Under $1000 ?

If I could get two RME Fireface 800's then I would. But it's just out of my price range. And I don't REALLY need the top audio quality, I just want decent audio quality with analog "input protection limiters."

Sure is hard to find much though considering my price range..

After continued research and phone calls, I'm getting a bit closer to deciding what I want.

Here are the main options I am considering:

(Option 1)$1280ish
A new Digimax 96k $1000-ish on ebay, used around $600ish
New Edirol FA66 (has limiters) firewire interface with ADAT-in $280ish
total $1280ish
Cons: Big digimax power supply, 48k only over ADAT, not very useful levels, no standalone (FA66 doesn't do standalone I don't think.) Old technology/converters? Discontinued for some reason? Low gain?
Pros: Audio quality of the Digimax from what I hear. Quality of the limiters. Sort of portable, can use the FA66 if I need to go somewhere quick.

(Option 3)$995ish
Motu 896mk3 $995, used around $650
Pros: All-in-one, usable preamp/converters, good meters, 8 xlr outputs, two headphones jacks, routing software, etc.
Cons: Mainly significantly lower audio quality than the presonus. Almost all of the new MK3 Motu's (including 896mk3) will not be modded by Black Lion Audio, because the new components make it too difficult.

(option 7) $800ish
Firestudio Tube $700ish + an outboard preamp/compressor/limiter (like ART Tube Pac $99) to make atleast 3 channels limited.
Pros: cheaper, stand-alone, 11 channels, pretty good audio quality I think.
Cons: Only 3 limiters, not ideally portable either because of outboard preamp(s).

I will update as the search continues. Any thoughts?

..outboard preamp/compressor/limiter (like ART Tube Pac $99) to make at least 3 channels limited.
Pros: cheaper, stand-alone, 11 channels, pretty good audio quality I think.
Cons: Only 3 limiters, not ideally portable either because of outboard preamp(s).

I will update as the search continues. Any thoughts?

Only the contrast of seemingly high audio quality, '96k concerns at one end of the scale ..$5 limiters on a chip at the other. :)
(..to get real here, do I know whether it would have any impact one way or the other though? no.
Update- Art's limiter is 6ms attack. Oops. :)
Didn't dbx do a 'type IV or something converters with 'soft limit?

Last edited:
I've pretty much decided to get a used Digimax 96K with a Edirol FA-66.
The audio quality / limiters on the Digimax 96K should beat everything out. And the 96K is heavy, but everything else would be big or involve outboard equipment anyway so I'll just get over it.

The questions I'm thinking about now..
-Does the restriction to 48K over ADAT really matter in a significant way? (Let's not go too crazy with the 48K vs 96K can-you-hear-a-diff war in this thread.)
-Will I have gain problems as long as I stay away from SM7B-like mics?
-Are the A/D converters up to modern standards and acceptable for a prosumer like me?
-(Noob question) Will I be able to set the Digimax gain properly by watching the levels in Logic, while creating a volume-levels-mix to send to outputs 1-2 on the Edirol out to a PA system at the same time?
-(Very noob question) Would the A/D conversion be better in the Digimax or on a Saffire Focusrite Pro 40..

I think I'm finally getting there. Just had to get over the big power supply not all-in-oneness.
Thanks for your help!

I need 8 XLR channels with analog limiters. I could go with the RME option, and that would probably be the best way to go. But, two Fireface 800's =$1450 street x 2 = $2900 for 8 channels.

A

Just run Adat in to Adat 1 from a RME audio Octamic D

That give you 8 more channels on the FF800 but you can add 2 octamics and that would give you a total of 20 XLR mic inputs

Really, not necessary? I think for what I'm recording they will be.
I am recording all-live, very dynamic spontaneous devotional music sung by people who are not at all used to recording. There is no option of retakes. The last recordings I made without a limiter I got a lot of clipping because of unexpected great leaps in volume, somebody decides to yell or really "dig deep" and belly it out. It sounds great live in the room actually but I don't think that just keeping the meters at %50 or %60 would solve my problem, because crazy stuff can happen with this content.

I record live to I use a RME audio FF 800 and a octamic D

But I use a HD24 Alisis unit as a back up recorder just in case the DAW goes Blue :( never had it happen but I like a back up recorder just the same.

If I end up doing FOH mix I break out a Yamaha O1V96 and run everything with ADAT the only analog signals in the chain are the mics and the send to the monitors and PA

the O1V96 is set to post gain for directs and the adat optical cables go to the HD24 then the FF800 with the word clock from the FF 800 to sync everything.

Never had any issues with over load or distortion

Hope this helps

By Jove I think I've got it!

I think I have (finally) made my decision. After quite a lot of phone calls, forum posts, review readings, and 8-Ball shakings, I've chosen my new semi-portable rig with analog limiters on every channel (that was the feature I've been searching for.)

1. Presonus Digimax 96K 8 channel preamp w/ limiters

Well liked preamp, recently discontinued. 8 excellent preamps, 8 analog quality limiters, 8 good AKM-made A/D converters, 8 channel ADAT-out (48khz only for 8 channels over ADAT)

2. Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP Firewire Interface
This compact, firewire-bus powered preamp/interface from Focusrite has two good preamps, 2 line-ins, 4 level meters, ADAT-in, zero latency DSP on board, TWO HEADPHONE JACKS, and finally, "VRM," Virtual Reference Monitoring technology.
Basically it's a quality, small, firewire interface for my Digimax with two headphone ports (a big plus for me.) The thing that sold it for me is the VRM, which I have yet to use, but I hear works pretty good. My reference monitors are in India (and aren't that great) and I am constantly traveling, so having a way to mix better with just headphones is extremely attractive to me. Plus can be standalone with new firmware.

COST:
Saffire Pro 24 DSP ($400 street) + Presonus Digimax 96K [Discontinued] ($1350 street) = $1750 street price
However, I bought my Digimax 96k used, they go for around $650 used, so $650ish + $400ish = $1050ish

I am pretty happy with this decision. This will yield great audio quality, with good limiters, with VRM dual-headphone monitoring, in a semi portable rig for $1000ish, maybe under if you find deals.

Cons:
-Digimax 96K is heavy and has a big and heavy (like 5 pounds) external power supply, not super portable.
-It can also only send 48Khz over the 8 channel ADAT (Does anyone think this is important?), or 96Khz over the SPDIFS(who has 4 SPDIF-ins...?), and only one option or the other I think.
- The meters aren't great on the Digimax
-The Pro 24 DSP costs about as much as a Presonus Firestudio 26x26 with the mail in rebate they are having!

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas to improve/change this setup are much appreciated!

For those of you still looking..
-The new Mackie Onyx "i" series looks great. The 820i has 8 inputs, Cirrus A/D converters, is a firewire interface, EQ, faders, etc for $500 street. They have 4 versions, looks cool.
-The Octopre is a cheaper alternative to the Digimax 96K, but I have read negative things about the compressor, and the audio quality probably loses to the Digimax.
-If you have the money RME is probably a good option
-You can always get a Firestudio or whatever with an outboard compressor like the Presonus ACP88 or a cheap Behringer equivilant, though this is too big for me. The possible problem with this is that you can still overload/distort the analog preamps before you send the signal to the limiters, so you'll get analog instead of digital clipping but it's still not ideal...
-The 896mk3 is a decent option, looks good in a lot of ways and apparently the preamps are "ok." The problem with this is that it can't be upgraded from Black Lion Audio (they are using new hard to modify parts) and so your stuck with the "eh" preamps. Plus it's pretty big and expensive itself (although only 12 pounds compared to the Digimax's 15!!)
-I've heard to stay away from the TC Konnekt stuff, good components but crappy drivers apparently.
-Oh and the Edirol FA-66 does NOT have ADAT, so that's not an option.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Should have my stuff next week, I will report back my happy problem-free adventures with it (hopefully.)

Thanks for everyone's help and input. BTW we can keep the thread going to discuss this general question/setup, it's not all about me!

-Chris :D

Not sure about Focusrite But the Presonus is good I have been looking at there Digimax fs for input as well as extra out puts.

But as much as you want to keep it small.

The only thing I would suggest is a back up HD recorder like the Alesis HD24 for live work it never hurts to have a back up recorder. Only one take and if the computer crashes at least you can transfer the tracks to your computer later from the HD24

My rack for mobile recording is not light 100 lbs plus.
It has the RME audio equipment and the computer as well at the HD24 recorder and a few other odds and ends in it depending on the situation that night/day

I also use a split snake ( more stuff ) as well so I do not have to suffer the FOH mixes from direct out. I can record clean with out the FOH EQ settings etc. Another words I get a signal from the mic and he gets a signal.
I do want to get active splitter soon but that is not going to be cheap for me. But so far so good on my recordings.

Some sound people do not like the fact that I want to re wire the stage for the split snake ( 1 out of 10 so fare ) but for the most part this is not a issue for me. I just get there early to set up. :p

Food for thought hope it make sense :p

Back