75 ohm for unbalanced cable runs?

tmix

I need to make up a bunch of unbalanced 1/4 inch type cable runs, some as long as 25feet.
I have a huge roll of coaxial beldon 75 ohm video typ cable. Can it be used sucessfully for 25 foot runs without sound degradation?

Your thought s are appreciated.

Tom

MS
thanks.
I am running from the i/o of my delta1010s to my mixer.
That is considered line level... right?

thanks,
Tom

I think you'll regret it as soon as you're done... the absolute minute you finish... What's the RG number on it???

I will look tonight.
It is in a shed with some building supplies.

What about using balanced cable (gepco 61801ez) and simply grouping the 2 middle wires?
I have some of this and am getting more.

All my runs are protected and fixed so the thin sheathing should not be an issue.

I am curious anyway.

It seems that trs cables work in both the unbalanced and balanced i/o of the mixer AND the interfaces. It may be simplest to wire up a bunch of balanced and leave it at that, so I can use them for either.

Tom

The question that comes to my mind is "Why?" By the time you put F connectors on and adapters to RCA and then whatever other adapters you need to connect to your gear, you've spent more than it would have cost to just buy a premade 25 foot cable, and a lot more than a cable would cost to make correctly.

Also, in my experience, coax braids tend to fall apart. They were designed to have a connector shoved into them, not to be twisted up and soldered to a connector. The only way I've been able to successfully put a non-F connector on a piece of coax is to shove a piece of solid copper wire up between the inner and outer jackets (into the shield) and solder that to the connector. Even that got flaky pretty quickly, and thus, I've stopped even attempting to work with coax except with F connectors.

I just can't imagine trying to do this. You probably could get away with it, but the $5 per cable cost savings really isn't worth the hassle.

300 feet for fifty bucks:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GLS-Audio-Bulk-...-P-31-102_W0QQitemZ190086010969QQcmdZViewItem

I am not sure exactly what you mean...
If you are talking about the video coax, I was just going to connect (solder) the bulk cable up to the 1/4 in jacks...

I've done it before for small projects, I don't care for braid any more since I have been using cable with drain wire. That is why I mentioned the using the redco / gepco wire I have....

I guess my initial thought is at .15 cents a foot for wire (the cheapest I could find good wire) 500 foot still costs a bit... I have that much coax, I think I have talked myself out of it using it after hearing the responses.

I am still curious as to whether anyone has used 3 conductor cable to make unbalanced, and simply dropped a lead or combined the 2 inner ones, I can't imagine a prob, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
Tom

dgatwood said:
The question that comes to my mind is "Why?" By the time you put F connectors on and adapters to RCA and then whatever other adapters you need to connect to your gear, you've spent more than it would have cost to just buy a premade 25 foot cable, and a lot more than a cable would cost to make correctly.

Also, in my experience, coax braids tend to fall apart. They were designed to have a connector shoved into them, not to be twisted up and soldered to a connector. The only way I've been able to successfully put a non-F connector on a piece of coax is to shove a piece of solid copper wire up between the inner and outer jackets (into the shield) and solder that to the connector. Even that got flaky pretty quickly, and thus, I've stopped even attempting to work with coax except with F connectors.

I just can't imagine trying to do this. You probably could get away with it, but the $5 per cable cost savings really isn't worth the hassle.

300 feet for fifty bucks:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GLS-Audio-Bulk-...-P-31-102_W0QQitemZ190086010969QQcmdZViewItem

tmix said:
I am still curious as to whether anyone has used 3 conductor cable to make unbalanced, and simply dropped a lead or combined the 2 inner ones, I can't imagine a prob, but I thought I'd ask.

Sure I've done that, but most often I would just use TRS ends if the unbalanced gear didn't care. Again, if you are doing line cables, no worries. For instrument cables I would probably measure the capacitance before I tried both leads together.

I think you'd be fine, especially for a static cable run. If you want to be sure, make one up first and do a spectral analysis of the same audio passed through it, and a reference cable.

Back