Is the 500 series rack the end of the 19" rack gear?

CoolCat

Another sales question. Seems theres a larger trend for sales of 500 series than 19" rack gear.
One mfg discontinued his 19" and only does 500 series per NAMM, the only thing hes selling is 500 series now.

Nope. There are some things that simply cannot be stuffed into a 500 series chassis. Sure they double and triple up the case widths but that is not really 500 series any more.

The funny thing about the 500 series rack is that it was designed to for more gear into a smaller space, and to be cheaper as the gear used a common power supply. The second point did not work as series 500 gear is usually more expensive than the standard rack version. It's become another gimmick.

Alan.

500 looks portable ,aka LunchBox... like a mini rack case. I could see the beneift in that I guess?

those old 6" half size desktop boxes like the DMP3, JoeMeek VC3, the RNC, the Grace M101 , Neve 5012 types, always seemed to be the "discount" version of the main 19" rack jobs, but it seemed more goodies were put into the 500 series. the transformers included etc,,,

I guess they share the power supply to save money.

time will tell. ive heard good things about the 500 series.

Considering 500 series power strips have been out since the 70s, I kind of doubt they're pushing 19" out any time soon. Even though the trademark on "Lunchbox" wasn't secured until 2010, it's been around for quite a while...

dang I didnt know that? 1970's... 500 series...? well that answers my question about 19" dying on the technology tree limb.

I have a 286 lunchbox computer what I used to use as a MIDI sound module. The 486 I made was lunchbox with the lid, but it didn't have the screen and keyboard in the box. So for me, lunchbox is just what you need to get through the day. If you stick a couple Reuben in there next to your EQ, that will work

I'm dying for some real food. Walmart deli is about it out here. With the lunchbox, you can build your own NY deli channel strip

Not all Reuben are equal. I killed a guy with a Reuben. Still working on the lethal Stromboli

Same goes for the channel strip hahaha

IDK, death by lethal Reuben might be an alternative to current capital punishment schemes...especially if the sauerkraut is over compressed.

His wife said he croaked just after they got home. But, they were in the habit of having some drinks and socializing for a hour or so. So, it may have been a Russian dart (dipped in canned kraut)

That allows me to clutter my space with boxes little loved.

I shopped plugs yesterday online and did put four in my cart, but only one holds some interest and one is a disk of new synth presets Hybrid vst/i.

But after 44 years of computer, I'm already spending to much time on the computer to wish to play the DAW game for any good reason

Back