2017...whats everyones fav Vocal rack gear...hardware? software? clean or crunchy?

well I can understand having a extra pair of strings, or a cable if youre playing live.
although it might be a great investment if the dollar drops, I could make $50 off it.?
the bryston amps and ATC speakers were a bit more $$.

I just looked at it as being MIC pre ready. In my cat, cricket, and frog recordings, each having their own MIC would of been much nicer for processing. Maybe not vocal tune as the grand harmony usually remains intact, but I could trim some of the natural reverb build-up, etc..

that'll work....the trick is not getting the fridge compressor in it or the neighbors dog howling...unless thats what youre after.

noise gates/expanders...much better than reading about Trump's bootlickers or Hillarys unrequited lovers.

Well, stealth recording is as fun as studio recording
conversation-1974.jpg

He's listening to a murder in room 773 : ) I don't know if he was the same guy that recorded Angela Merkel's phone, or, not.

Anyone want to chime in?

Ive pretty much gone all ITB for guitars and anything else....except for the one microphone for vocals or acsoutics or slapping the back of a cardboard box for percussions and capturing that shaker....

mics, preamps, compressors, secret weapons, software racks?....

I made a major move towards that magic strip, yesterday, and ordered the ADA8200. $5 a month and I cave in : ) Also a $50 zoom amp pedal and my first powered monitors at $150. Look out Sound City

I made a major move towards that magic strip, yesterday, and ordered the ADA8200. $5 a month and I cave in : ) Also a $50 zoom amp pedal and my first powered monitors at $150. Look out Sound City

I could do the ADA8200. Thats a lot of I/O.. maybe the main piece that got B respect as it matched the hi-end stuff.
Sound City hell yeah... Ive been in sell sell sell mode without much to sell. Guitar necks and shims and stuff I can do while watching Netflix lately. its amazing what a .002 can feel like to ther fingers.

mic comparison test this morning for 30 minutes was a KSM27 vs SM58, and the main result was figuring out latency from the pc that made everything sound like Darth Vader.

that ADA8200 would slap on the front end and I like rack-desktop with the XLR right on the front...Ill be interested how it sounds and converts.

State of the Art cheap sounding : ) My guess.They say one has to treat the AD and DA as separate functions. AD only goes to ADAT, etc..

Still no 58 here, but I went berserk with a pair of Behri C-2.
Actually, bot a cheap desktop rack to replace my 2x4s and nails rack.
And ,
Behringer Ultragain Pro MIC2200 preamp
Behringer Multicom Pro-XL MDX4600 4/chan compressor
TC Electronic M350 effects ADC spdif

State of the Art cheap sounding : ) My guess.They say one has to treat the AD and DA as separate functions. AD only goes to ADAT, etc..

Still no 58 here, but I went berserk with a pair of Behri C-2.
Actually, bot a cheap desktop rack to replace my 2x4s and nails rack.
And ,
Behringer Ultragain Pro MIC2200 preamp
Behringer Multicom Pro-XL MDX4600 4/chan compressor
TC Electronic M350 effects ADC spdif

im shure the 58 sounds like 8 million others for sale...I bought Shure and made some decision only reason was to reduce shopping thoughts and brand name sales ( i sell crap all the time and as Brando knows too.....brand names sell better, not really sound better).

the rack sounds cool. I put mine on one of those furniture plastic things for sliding move...and I can spin it around and mess with wires...slide it etc... at the moment Ive got some fish in the fire...

Well, I have that Tascam ball MIC that came in the recording kit.. Sounds good enough for me on acoustic and snare - and having the power of the DAW..

Ya I like that sliding pad thing. I could use a couple : )

the new strip might be like this

I guess I might become a Behringer champion ? Anyway, I was just buying a Zoom guitar pedal - $50 with 36 mo financing

Attachments

• new_strip.jpg
    new_strip.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 6
nice pic.... Les Paul would have loved to had that. Very cool TC electronics verb, those are so well done I got crap from my son for trading/selling the one I had , it was also a good converter tossed in it.

dang thats a damn nice rack going, no mouse needed....no latency too. whats the ENHANCER thing? looks well done.

can it do Ribbons?

Had to ask about ribbons : ( For everyday acoustic, probably. I still got that extra +20 on the ART & actual gain staging at the next box - a compressor ?

The Enhancer is one of those we can try playing with harmonics things. I'm game for a $100, or whatever it was. $2 or $3 a month for 48 months.

The four compressors in the rack space probably has the over all gold star for being useful, but I had to spend a bit more for those last two items. The digital stuff. I think they look pretty sweet for i/o. As a misc converter box, that 2496 has some web pages on performance MODs. I just couldn't resist more converters to play with. Most challenging should be the Behringer monitors

yeah I like the dist harmonic stuff, more interesting than eq....with the right combo of mic some hifi schizzle

So in conclusion, well at least my conclusion because I am sure you will have your own too, it says a lot that a preamp assembled from $5 worth of components and not even mounted in a box can compare favorably against a preamp costing $200, and another costing $1500! -AudioMasterclass

I could see a 2200 for mic preamp going into a Composer ex/gate-comp/limiter on CL for $100 total. $50 each on a good haggling day. Probably a nice setup.....

2200 is the 4580 Texas Instruments Op Amp-
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/rc4580.pdf

Hitachi Transisitor Discrete Mic input/stage
2SA1084 Datasheet

FEATURES
Extremely low-noise, high-end, discrete microphone/line preamp
Integrated high-quality 12AX7 vacuum tube
Microphone input stages based on ultralow-noise 2SA1084 transistor pairs
Extreme bandwidth from 2Hz to 300kHz
Two additional high-end parametric EQs
Independent level conversion from home to professional level (-10dBV/+4dBu)
Super low-noise 4580 operational amplifiers
Extremely flexible DI box function
Soft mute +48V phantom power
Fully sweepable, switchable high-pass filter (12dB/octave)
Phase reverse button
Precise twelve-segment output level display
Servo-balanced, gold-plated XLR and 1/4" TRS connectors
Professional-quality potentiometers and illuminated switches
Manufactured under ISO 9000 certified management system

30 years plus as musician, recording artist. The Behringer Ultragain Pro MIC2200 ranks with the best. I compared it with an Avalon VT-737SP Pure Class A Mono Vacuum Tube Channel Strip (two thousand +). I couldn't really notice a difference in sound quality except the Avalon cost twenty three thousand more-gearhead

YouTube
Nice sounds of the 2200

Im guessing the GAIN is 26-60db with a possible 10db more with outputs along the way. 60-70db?

Like everything a lot of good press and a lot of bad press. The buzzing QC units can always get mentioned and like my hamburger the other day at a fast food drive through....the cook took a bite of it I noticed when I unwrapped the sandwich.

time for some coffee and dayquil...

hahah Ya, read discrete transistor and I see t0-3 cases up an inch off the board and blobs of solder : ). Most of these boxes have been in production some long while. The Manual don't say how to dial in your tube warmth, etc.., yet, they go on and on about tubes ?

Modern MIC gain starts with a trim - like +10, or, +15. haha Only way to reach +60

Back