2017...whats everyones fav Vocal rack gear...hardware? software? clean or crunchy?

Fines are "bad", but dropping the tonearm on the moving felt turntable pad could blow some gear

Ya, my Heathkit Audio Generator is a light bulb contraption. Like Lucas electrics on a Triumph, the bulb goes and nothing works.

I own a circa-2003 LA-2A, we modeled a vintage LA-2A, and I'm intimately familiar with UA's LA-2A plugin emulation. I'd say Helix's model is right up there with all of 'em; otherwise, I wouldn't have signed off on it.-Line 6 Staff

I didnt know the Gain was the Input gain on the LA2A as the YouTube Neil Young dewd said, I always assumed it was make-up gain.
The Line6 LA2A is Makeup gain..... so to hear the smooth compression I have to over drive it with a lot of input from a "input " device and a lot of squeeze.

Not a problem but its not like the LA2... wonder why no one is copying the Federal Limiter?

---------- Update ----------

Fines are "bad", but dropping the tonearm on the moving felt turntable pad could blow some gear

Ya, my Heathkit Audio Generator is a light bulb contraption. Like Lucas electrics on a Triumph, the bulb goes and nothing works.

Dropping the needle and the damage done?
Is that what Neil Young was singing about..I never knew that.

Attachments

• Neve LA2A.jpg
    Neve LA2A.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 1
If I remember correctly, the bump and the bouncing needle wasn't all that uncommon ! Ever with the WKRP staff.

More than one knob just confuses things. I wonder who's name will be on the plug version of Behringers famous one-knob compressor ?

I noticed that guy has vid on his API lunchbox, so I'll probably be catching that this weekend.

I can see the one knob , two knob, VU meter thing. Especially if you dont even change the settings.

I didnt know Behringer has a one knob compressor, does it look just like someone elses design? ah

I just noticed the the line6 doesnt havea VU meter? to save on mfg. costs probably...

I just noticed it has a hinged front panel. Extra points. You need that to get the little men crews working scale in and out

Richard's LA2 vid is great....he makes the LA2A sound non-vintage. LA2...is the real deal why arent there sims for that?

yeah I was looking at all the Neve copys and realized some dont paint it the same colors and have the red & blue knobs, while others do. The ones that do seem to cost more. hmmm?

Well, they might have to rent one to model and hope its the right one ? Endorsement costs. Or, they make something up. The Mixbus Console is really about my speed (threshold) for knobs. I don't have a third party Leveler/Limiter and I may spring for the Toneboosters Limiter

Attachments

• barracade.jpg
    barracade.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 3
anything beyond the Record Button can be ITB....with a good pc I can even get a couple ITB going before latency sets in.
the better I get with the plugs the better they sound too. the $2500 Neve is hard to justify for my needs, the Federal Rack and LA2 would probably just be asked for a "loan out" like Neil did.

KVR has a few hundred things to look out for Free.. a master bus limiter with One Knob maybe (the small knob for inserts?)

Attachments

• KVR Limiter.jpg
    KVR Limiter.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 3
I looked around, earlier. I may just stick with Variety of Sound stuff. Oh, I remember, a lot of that wasn't 64-bit. #6 has a convincing VID from ?? Vlog ?? was it ? I dunno? The Magix Limiter is just a on/off switch ! hahah

im impressed at the selections.... and overwhelmed with how many there are.

the KLanghelm was a freebie and I bought it later for limiters, two knobs but really cool and settings can be saved.

that you tube on the LA2 having the Niel Young settings in crayon was pretty wild....it would have been harder to remember settings.

then came the automated sliders....then the DAW.

I never really tested the OPL on the ART DPS or the Limiter ratio on the DOD 866II ? I'm gonna try the W1 clone of the Waves L1/L2 right now. The zip has 32 and x64 DLL

Aphex did it too, the OPL....my shallow understanding is they added this to maintain the Digital Out stayed right and didnt distort.
So its probably a very mathematical compressor/limiter Im guessing, not the overdriven tube sound.

I never thought of tube preamps the same as guitar amps but now the LA2 Federal youtube thats all it is , the input overdrives then the output does its thing.

The cartoon Neve I had cranked up on drive fed the cartoon La2a got the sound I was looking for or ..expecting.I think I had hit it before but now understand how to get there without blind-tests.

the DPS and TPS arent like your reel to reel tube preamps maybe can be overdriven to smushville....thats the vocal sound called warm I think....not talking clean compression.

that little RNC can do that, its secret is the multi compression stages I read, so like little by little nothing gets distorted. the rack mount stuff like solidstate does that fine.

i dont know the look ahead ability vs the computer ability of look ahead and see peaks? the OPL probably has to have that.

as for smushville warmth it might be more invisible to cleansmush like the RNC.
I recall that test and I could see the compressor on the wave but couldnt hear it working, some say thats a great! thing.

Right now,I just want a limiter for Windows DAW use and it looks like the W1 will do fine. Well, we're getting dump on with rain and winds. I gotta do some stuff.

i hope it blows on up here, its hot and dry...to dry. raining in AZ, thats a good thing right.
rain ius almost always a good thing.

*smushville is a trademark name by cc...patent pending maybe;to be used in accordance with compressors of audio nature, not associated with bulldozers or building wrecking machinery.

No, I didn't move to the desert for rain. haha The was all from the East for some reason ?

I still haven't run a track through the inputs of these synths for processing - Hmm Microbrute, new Casio, and the Ultranova. Um, nevermind. I can't see that helping Niel's vocals : )

Nice dream browsing. Auditor headphone amp and dt-770 : ) Went to monitoring straight away.

I have to close that window, it's just too much !

Isn't the extra ux8 just being a good boy scout - Be Prepared ? I assume you have a backup Yacht, also : ) I, certainly, have more than one interface. This browsing computer, here, has the Tascam us-144 II and the Leaf DSD player sitting on top, and I'm using the onboard card. hah

Back