2017...whats everyones fav Vocal rack gear...hardware? software? clean or crunchy?

you know thats a good idea actually....make a unit that has interchangeable faceplates so it could be a NEve one day and a JoeMeek the next and a API on Thursday.....

For classic rock/pop with a little color/focus, we use the BAE DMP1073 that also doubles as a great direct box. That goes into a DBX 160 compressor with just a little taming of transients. When clean is the scene, we fire up our old DBX576 Channel Strip which has NOS tubes and sounds great for clean color with a built in tube compressor/limiter. It also has some really nice minor EQ for tweaking, a favorite.

TKeefe | Terry Keefe | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I upgraded all of my digital gear!
1. Antelope Orion 32+
2. MacPro 6 core
3. 12 TB raid
4. 2 Slate Raven MTI2 monitors
5. Cubase 9!

A good complement to my analog gear!

nice gear shot. listening to mfinal fare, really well done, sounds better than some of the earlier songs maybe the reverb I liked more? great job. Is that the CS you used? U47>BAE>160?

Well, it is the module format : )
https://youtu.be/DvekEB3utFE

They did mention 1176, but didn't exactly say much beyond - this is a eq, this is 15-ips, etc..

Yeah those shows are strange the audio is like a state fair vibe, and the hurried sales pitch seems er...hurried.
I was just thinking of all the copys and it gets a bit like madonna and elvis look alikes...i mean its all in fun and it doesnt spoil my coffee or anything, but its weird. a phenomena?

Thanks for the listen. That is actually a TLM 49 into a BAE DMP 1073 with a bit of DBX 160 to tame the transients. You're right about the reverb. Maybe it's old ears but when mixing the amount sounds fine but listening later it sounds like way too much. Ear fatigue is no doubt a real problem. Also we switched from the Eventide to the Slate using the 6000 Hall on the vocals.

"Over Easy" just means don't cook it too much. Don't think one needs to pay very much for that. One is simply buying into this particular old DBX method.

i didnt notice that DBX 160....yikes $$$$$$$$$$
i suppose that could do something to avoid mouse-mixing-editing time.

Plugs probably won't have the aged prime rib flavor. I've yet to see a plug blow a cap and have smoke all over the screen - if not a shattered/cracked screen as they can explode like a firecracker

Waves could do that and bring some life back into the industry ! hahaha

For deconstructing sound, the 128 is more versatile, anyway

thats something, plug copys, or hardware copys....
the Smithsonian piece of prime rib concept ...... vintage or modern?

I try to imagine Jonathan buying some new Waves bundle, and one of them blew up his screen and put a dent in his Dave Hill

I dont know what he does for income specifically but Johnathan definitely has a bunch$$$ to constantly spend on gear!
He bought those 1176 kits, more than one...and never put them together...he "hairballed the HairBalls.." he got too busy buing huge consoles and buildings... hahaa crazy...win the lottery? just making money ?

Too much gear messes me up.
I like the old EMI stories...

1)Beatles pre-Revolver, Norman Smith Eng...same mics, same location, same cable, same console like a good recipe...no changes. simple, consistent and worked. imo, Hard Days Night and other songs sound really good even today.

2)the Geoff Emerick Eng period of craziness and everything and anything goes is cool too, but different. Same room but totally different vibe and Sgt Pepper Tomorrow Never Knows stuff...Ken Scott..Ima Walrus and more carziness

3)then end they wanted simplicity back right? Ken Scott-E, Whitest Album, Let It Rot- raw no production stuff, and then Abbey Road Walk across the street album-GMArtin and GeoffEmerick? or Alan Parsons? and simple, straight recording, mics , more of a "the clean sound returns" vibe.(although the Moog was present and overdubs galore)

something nice about one mic, one cable, into a console to a ReeltoReel or even a DAW. which leads back to either a Console or a Channel Strip or ITB Channel Strip or....something.

Last edited:
RAW is good in it's way. Something about those Live stage recordings. Same with Pentagram on the old Roberts tape recorder. Kurt with his Aunt's tape recorder. Live and raw. The studio trying to rescue Bruce's Nebraska cassettes. "Keep It Simple, Stupid" can work in digital, too. That is, if we concentrate on the performance rather than the gear & tricks all the time.

Still, I'm watching Richard explaining his tricks and gear;
https://youtu.be/HF5z065J_lM

Looks like he's wearing his lumberjack shirt

thats the same explanation on the limiters/compressors Bruce Swedian used....robot doing the auto-volume control.
they used it to avoid fines $$$ interesting. TV, Radio.
Northern California? Oregon/Washington flannels? or Vermont/Michigan flannels all about choices. ah

Teletroniox LA2 vs LA2A is good one too. Light bulb and a photcell...he breaks it down pretty good.

Back