2 XLR Pre Amp with USB

I bought the Steinberg UR22 a while back. The Yamaha pres are very nice. Good bang to buck ratio, very economical. Some say easy to clip the pres. Maybe, but I control my scene before the sound hit's the pres anyway so, no problem getting good sound.

I bought the Steinberg UR22 a while back. The Yamaha pres are very nice. Good bang to buck ratio, very economical. Some say easy to clip the pres. Maybe, but I control my scene before the sound hit's the pres anyway so, no problem getting good sound.

I have not heard about low mic amp headroom in the UR22 but it would not concern me greatly.
The home recording jockey is more usually struggling for level and I would rather have pre amps with more gain and low noise than a high overload capacity. You cannot have both with a single gain control*.

The problem would probably only show if micing a guitar cab, especially with a capacitor mic! But then a couple of 20dB XLR attenuators are a lot chepear than a pair of Cloudlifters!

*This is one advantage of even a low priced mixer.

Dave.

I like what I see of that unit, but is it true they make you use a dongle and have restrictions moving it from one PC to another? I can't get behind that kind of control freakishness.

I like what I see of that unit, but is it true they make you use a dongle and have restrictions moving it from one PC to another? I can't get behind that kind of control freakishness.

I think you might be getting confused with the bundled Cubase software? Certainly this will be locked to whichever PC you register it on but AFAIK you have a fair time in which to do that? I bought Cubase LE6 but also paid the extra 20quid or so for a dongle which means I can use the software on any one computer at a time.

All software companies protect their products one way or another apart of course from the free stuff but then Audacity ain't Cubase!

Dave.

Back when I used Cubase LE5 I only had to request another authorization code from Steinberg to use on another computer. I think it only took them a day to send to me.

Back when I used Cubase LE5 I only had to request another authorization code from Steinberg to use on another computer. I think it only took them a day to send to me.

Ah! Now! I have had this with other software. "They" either did not realize that I was the same person requesting another "do" or the system had not been thought through well enough and no one thought the owner of the hardware would ask for another free go.

I suspect this loophole has now been closed?

Dave.

Reason has several ways. You can use the software with the dongle which has your license on it, you can use the software with an internet connection so it can verify your license with their website, or you can use a pre-registered version on up to two pc's, which has some sort of limitation as to what you can do. My studio PC uses the dongle cause I don't want it to communicate with the internet...

Ah! Now! I have had this with other software. "They" either did not realize that I was the same person requesting another "do" or the system had not been thought through well enough and no one thought the owner of the hardware would ask for another free go.

I suspect this loophole has now been closed?

Dave.

No, actually the LE5 came with the Lexicon Alpha I purchased. I initially setup with a laptop. I just asked for another activation code because I wanted to now use a new desktop. There didn't seem to be any issue with it. I mean, I bought the interface that LE5 was included with. It not like I gave a copy to a friend who did not buy the interface...

No, actually the LE5 came with the Lexicon Alpha I purchased. I initially setup with a laptop. I just asked for another activation code because I wanted to now use a new desktop. There didn't seem to be any issue with it. I mean, I bought the interface that LE5 was included with. It not like I gave a copy to a friend who did not buy the interface...

Right. Well in that case Steinberg are probably casting a very untypically generous blind eye. Usually DAW software companies DO suspect you of knocking out copies to all and sundry!
I bought a Tascam 144 mk1 s/h/ for 60quid and it had a virgin copy of LE4 with it. Took me best part of a week to get Steinberg to activate it.

But there's no accounting? I have read of people who have just had to change a borked hard drive in a PC and have had the divils own job getting Msoft to play ball.
On the other hand I had a PC built by a shop over 8 years ago running XP Pro and I am now on the 3rd incarnation. All that is left of the original PC is the case and PSU!

Never even had to phone up.

Err? Perhaps I should make it plain? Only ever running ONE instance of the OS!

Dave.

Well, it is quite a limited version of Cubase. I don't think you can record more than 8 tracks at once and have limited use of VSTi's and track count. Plus, all the cool tools are in the full version. :)

Back