2 questions!

Jonkan

1. Has anyone used the Symetrix 302e mic pre?, is it good (better than it costs?)
2. Will i have any problems connecting it to my Dsp factory´s Ax44 inputs which are TS unbalanced -10 , when the outputs on the symetrix are TRS balanced +4 ? And if there will be some impedance mismatch or whatever that will ruin the sound, what can i do about it?
thanks
Jonas H

i don't know about your preamp but if you undersatnd that the output of the preamp will be 14db higher than the input of the AX44 is designed to accept and turn down the output of the preamp accordingly you should be OK
Cheers

Yup....

John is right. But I will add.

I believe that the 302 only has a preamp input gain stage to it. Preamps are kind of funny in that they really don't like to operate in the extremes. Not too low, not too high.

You may find that the sound will be a little stale, and certainly you will not be able to allow it to clip at all. Sometimes a little clipping on the preamp can offer a warmer sound, sometimes not. Depends on the preamp. What you may want to do is run a compressor after the preamp and just don't use any compression at all, but use the output gain of the compressor as your finale volume going to your A/D converters.

Also, you should make a custom cable for this to work. I am not sure if you CAN make it work without a special cable.

This cable would be on the TS end:0

Ground to Ground
Tip and Sleeve to Tip.

That should do it.

Ed

I can lower the input gain in my dspfactory, so i prob wont need to use a compressor.
By the way John: What do you mean by: "This cable would be on the TS end:0"
Could you explain it a little clearer to me?
When you say it will sound stale (which I by the way don´t know what it means, im from sweden..). Are you referring to the general sound of the 302e or the sound i will get
a) using a normal balanced or unbalanced tele cable, not a special cable
b) the result of not being able to turn up the gain enough because of the problems with the inputs you mentioned?

thanks,
Jonas H

Back