2 Grand for a Pre?

Rick Charming

Hey guys,

I'm running Cubase SX and an Aardvark Q10 and I'm in the process of upgrading my studio. I've got $2k together for an outboard mic pre.

What would you guys be looking into for around that price? Should I buy one $2k one or a pair or three of something cheaper? What's the verdict?

Cheers!

Hey guys,

I'm running Cubase SX and an Aardvark Q10 and I'm in the process of upgrading my studio. I've got $2k together for an outboard mic pre.

What would you guys be looking into for around that price? Should I buy one $2k one or a pair or three of something cheaper? What's the verdict?

Cheers!

Seems to me it might depend on how many channels you need! ;)

If I had the money, I'd spend it first on a pair of ribbon mikes, or maybe a stereo ribbon mike and anything left over on an AEA TRP.

Cheers,

Otto

yeah if you're recording drums, that api unit would be great. if you record mostly one track at a time, you might want to use the money differently (e.g. one sweet pre or channel strip and/or a sweet mic). it also depends on what you have for mics...
i've gone through a number of mics and pres in my home setup and i've found it useful to buy both in pairs.

lunchbox +1. Then check out the available options:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...l-lunchbox-modules-api-500-series-format.html

There are an ever expanding variety of high quality pres in the format. Some are priced really well compared to their standard rackmount versions (e.g., the GR pre at $750 a channel). Depending on what your needs are (drums, variety etc.), it is worthwhile to price things out as different formats come with different costs. For example, if you want 4 API pres for drums, the 3124 will typically be more cost effective to purchase than a lunch box and 4 API pres (although you still have 2 empty slots in the lunchbox to fill).

Companies to look at:

Millenia Media (HV-3D?)
Perhaps a few neve 1073?
API

The lunchboxes are a very interesting route to take.

It's hard to suggest something because it can vary soo much depending on how many channels you want, what you\re going to do with it, etc.

You should spend the $2,000 on a stereo preamp, if quality rather than quantity is what you are going after. The choice of preamp depends in part on what you will be using it for. In reality, a high quality preamp will work on any style of music, but you may wish to tailor your sound a bit by the preamp you use.

If you do decide on a single channel strip, I would consider saving up just a little bit more and looking into a Pendulum Audio Quartet. The Quartet offers a great variety of sounds through the preamp, EQ, and compressor. If you want a truly stunning sounding channel that will sound amazing even just talking into headphones, the Quartet certainly fits that bill. I recently sold two of them to a client for a venue install. I had them in my studio for a month and I REALLY did not want to let them go. Even next to teh Martechs they still sounded great, just different. Personally they blew the John Hardys that I had in away. The construction and design is incredible on them as well and there is a good chance it won't be built until you order it:)

Sorry to disturb, but how does a channel strip exactly like?
Is it really a pice of mixer, with no power supply?

Wow, it seems like an API stroke-fest!

I'm doing lots of recording with full drum kits and bass at the same time, and then smaller groups of stereo micing and vocals later. I certainly need multiple tracks, however I've decent luck with the Aardvark pre's in the past for large applications.

It seems a lot of you want to know about my mic stable.

MICS:

Cad ICm417's for drum overheads and sometimes strings
AT4033 (acoustic guitar/vocals)
ATM25 (kick)
SM57's (snare/toms/guitar amps)
SM58's (whatever I need)

$2,000 ya'll--do I pick up the lunchbox and a pair of API mic pre's? Do I score a lunchbox, pick up one API mic pre and buy a decent mic? Do I score a ribbon mic? Do I take the entire wad and pick up one or two channels of totally kick ass mic pre?

Good fun.. ;)

personally, with that setup i'd split the money between mics and pres. you could find someone to rack some yamaha pm1000 pres for you (folks have been selling 2 channel units with eq racked for $500), get a used sytek 4 channel pre, black lion audio modded pr8e, or some sort of similar unit that would represent an upgrade from what you have, and then spend the other half on one or two nice mics that could serve as a mono or pair of drum overheads-- you could get a soundelux/bock u195 or a mojave audio ma-200, or a pair of nice mics like at4047s, shure ksm32s, m-audio sputniks, or, my personal preference, oktavamodded mk-219's or 319's (premium electronics option). you could also get one nice condenser and a ribbon mic like a shinybox, cascade or oktavamodded ribbon. with $2000 you could probably get a racked pair of pm1000's, a pair of cascade fatheads, a shure sm7b, and one of those three condensers--- 4047/ksm32/sputnik/oktavamod.
if you look around and buy smart and used, you can end up with nice deals on stuff. i recently picked up a langevin dual vocal combo and a blue kiwi for a little over $2,000.

Sorry to disturb, but how does a channel strip exactly like?
Is it really a pice of mixer, with no power supply?

Channel strips are usually a mic pre, eq, and compressor all in one box. Some manufacturers have the power supplies built in some dont.

You might.....

....consider a Universal Audio LA610. It would give you a warm pre,a good compressor, and leave you $500 to buy another mic. jmho as to what I would do with your setup and an extra $2k.

Hrm.... well, all of the above are great suggestions. I would probably look to solid state as an all around good pre... the APIs, Great River, UA Solo 110 or 4110. If you want some flavor, I really like the LA610 too. The Solo 610 is basically the same thing minus the comp. My buddy has one and compared to my LA610, I'll be damned if I can hear a difference running just the pres. I use the LA610 with an SM7 a lot on male vocals. I use the 4110 a lot with a AT4050 for female vocals. You would also be surprised how good the Mackie Onyx pres are. Not the same league as API etc as they have no iron... but they are a damn good value in the mid range. Also, don't forget the Chameleon Labs stuff.

Wow, this is the first I've read about the Lunchbox and the concept of the modules.

Do you literally just take a module and plug it in? Do I need to wire anything? I'm not terribly good with electronics but I suppose I'm not opposed to learning.

Going with something like that and 2 or 3 modules might be a good way to go, especially if it's easy to take them out and replace them with other things when the situation arises.

It sounds like I can't go wrong with the API pre's for general purposes. For a 2k upgrade, does this sound like a good option? How bad is my mic stable? Am I missing something terrible? Are the CAD's decent OH mics or should I sell 'em and grab something else?

Cheers!

If oyu get a lunch box... plan to fill it up. You will save money in the long run if you do fill them up, but for one or two channels, it is usually cheaper to get the stand alone units. And yes, you do "just plug em in". They look sort of like PCI cards in your computer and just slide in.

I've got a store thats about a 20 minute drive from where I live, vintageking.com. He's giving away six-slot Lunchboxes with the purchase of four modules. I'd have to come up with a few more dollars.. but maybe that's the way to go. A couple of API 512C's, A Great River..

Something else? How important is an external compressor to me?

Back