2 Grand for a Pre?

That sounds totally sweet. So it looks like I'm going for some mics first.

Cad ICm417's for drum overheads and sometimes strings
AT4033 (acoustic guitar/vocals)
ATM25 (kick)
SM57's (snare/toms/guitar amps)
SM58's (whatever I need)

Is there anything I should sell? Are the CAD ICM417's decent for overheads? Should I get rid of the ATM25? Is the AT4033 going to do me justice as a variety condensor?

Any ideas?

You will, of course, get as many different suggestions as you get responses to this question.

My 2cents FWIW -

The ATM25 is fine for a modern sounding kick or tom mic. I have one also. If you like the sound, keep it. Other options if you don't like the sound include the Audix D6, AKG D112 and the RE-20. The RE-20 is a pretty traditional mic for kick that can be used on a lots of other things - like vocals, bass, toms, etc.

You should consider getting a high quality dynamic mic like an RE-20, SM7, MD441, MD431 etc. These can be excellent on vocals, as well as for cabs, kick, toms, bass, etc. Very good if you don't have a quiet recording environment.

The 4033 is typically fine for acoustic guitars and some voices. I have one that I rarely use. It would not be my first choice for a primary vocal mic. I think a higher quality LD condenser should be a consideration - especially if your room will accomodate it. AT-4050, Shure KSM-44, Beyer MC834, AKG C414 or better. I don't know what budget you are working with, but you can typically pick any of those up used for less than $500 - sometimes a lot less. The Gefell mics are also very good and less pricey than the comparable Neumanns. I just picked up a used M71 (older version with transformer - cardioid only) for @$650 and it is really an excellent vocal mic. There are a lot of choices in the $1500 or less category that are really terrific mics -- Pearlman, Peluso, Mojave, Bock (used to be Soundelux) etc.

A pair of nice SD mics for over heads and stereo instrument micing. I'm not familiar with the CAD mics you have although my general impression of CAD gear is that it is pretty good stuff for the money. if you want to upgrade, I'd look at a pair of AT-4051s or 4053s if you can find some used (@$250 each), Josephson C-42s (@$700 for a matched set used) or a matched pair of Beyer MC930s for $766 new from B&H Audio. There are lots of choices available including the Oktava and Peluso mics which are very good for the money.

Personally, I'd rather have SM-57s as a utility mic than an SM-58. Slap a foam windshield on it if you need to for vocals. Otherwise it is a more useful mic for instruments than the SM-58.

At some point you might want to pick up a ribbon, but I wouldn't start there.

What mics you should get depends on what kind of music and instruments you are recording, and what the rest of your recording chain is. All mics involve making certain compromises, and the trick is to pick the mic(s) with the fewest compromises given what you are recording and the other gear you are using.

Buy used if you can. With judicious shopping you can save quite a bit of money over new gear. Ideally see if you can listen to a mic before you buy it -- if not the actual mic you are buying (can't do that on e-bay) then at least a representative model. I know that isn't always possible, so if you buy used and it turns out that you don't care for the mic, you can typically resell it with little loss - and sometimes even make some money.:D

I'll shut up now and let others jump in.

Back