Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: $1699...used $999 Emperical Labs Mike E, aka EL-9...

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    hah The great Menthol age, Del Shannon's Runaway was '61. I whistled and sang that on my paper route. haha

The Hot 100 - 1961 Archive | Billboard Charts Archive

The first P,P, & M was '62

The Village era in NYC I would guess had great gear in the studios

If I listen to vocals it is usually female

Thanks
    i wonder if they thought it was high end?
    Did gearheads lust for better and more tracks ? did they even think about what a DAW would be? what was rick wakeman doing in 61?
    did they think the mics would be worth $12,000? and the old tube eq maybe more?

paper routes..les pauls looked like sg juniors..like les paul juniors... they didnt have to mix as much probably, more time in mic setups and rooms probably. oppressive industry too ? unless you got lucky and signed theres the door.

in 61 if you sent in a cassette demo tape to the A&R guy they wouldnt be able to listen to it for years later.

if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-HG

Thanks
    Going back to females, I collected a lot of Pretenders for the music and vocals.

This was after they had trouble as a band
    ""The 'Chain Gang' vocal was comped from three or four takes, and then Chris sang her own harmonies before Martin and Tony did the backgrounds. That lead vocal was all Chrissie. I put a [Neumann] FET 47 in front of her and had [a Urei] 1176 compressing her through the custom Neve board, and that was basically it. "

I guess that a Keep is simple, stupid rig

Thanks
    nice and simple really....LDC>PREAMP/EQ with Overdrive Saturation> 1176 for subtle or ALL-IN smashed....
    I get it now, years later....million hours of shopping and gear gas later....

same with guitars, a simple Fender Strat and a Fender tube amp is how Leo invented intentionally together. He even stated it was a "pair" as one instrument...the guitar and amp. Sure Marshall came along and copied the Fender Bassman and beefed it up to create a totally original distortion but its similar to the 1176 and LA2A being simple and still working as great today as it did then.

I read Adele sang into a $$LDC and a UA6176 and that was what went onto the platinum stuff, not much of anything done and certainly not a bunch of plugins were needed to make it sound good.

now simple as it is, I wouldnt be surprised if she sang through a MXL LDC and a neve and 1176 clone if she wouldnt hit the right notes too. some have the ability.

I got the MikeE and KSM44 and it can get what I want simply, but now being a HR with debt and kids, comparing to a KSM27 and GearBox soft-Preamps and softLA2A is more my budget.....

on the subject of Latency the Mike-E doesnt have any latency where the software, seems to be worse on somedays more than others, is that a Windows 10 thing?with auto mandated updates? or my USB cable isnt made my Monster? or my off the shelf stock BestBuy $239 tower isnt fast enough?

still just to keep the Mike-E focus thread included....for a preamp of its quality is in Great River territory, then throw in a really effective vocal compressor (1176 family) but with the Fatso-Saturation and a simple knob of DRY or COMP to adjust without a mouse is more like playing a guitar with ones hands instead of a playing guitar with a mouse and software program.

leave the microphone to do the eq seems to be a good trick in making things simple.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fender-61-jpg  
    Last edited by CoolCat; 07-16-2017 at 07:07.

Thanks
    I tried the DI on bass. it sounds great. but to be honest a lot of units can sound good on bass DI. why is that?

the DOD R825 is a great bass DI unit and sometimes found very cheap, cheaper than the sans amp. One gearhead said he preferred the 825 over his LA610. Ive had a SansAmp and wasnt impressed a bunch, tried many of the others and plugs etc...so Bass HR novice, you got to have a good Bass DI in the arsenal.

Mike E as a DI box, its great and more due to having the comp, sat , drive etc..... another function of this unit thats included in the price which is worth mentioning.

So if this piece can repalce other pieces, then I sell the other stuff apply to the MikeE and the price is getting lower as it replaces other gear right? now its like $500, $700...depending what one replaces with the new as in the upgrade game.

a versatile unit as SOS stated. $1600 new, $1000 used - selling other preamps and DI racks = $500
    Includes:
    a mic preamp for clean
    a mic preamp with transformer and large drive knob for dirt
    a clean invisible compressor
    a saturation/grunge rock vocal compressor
    a dry to mix balance knob
    a no latency hardware unit
    and a DI for Bass that can go from clean to smashed

hmmm what else? fantastic unit ...so easy to get good sounds, feels great in build.

Bass youtube with some settings discussed-

Thread Information