Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: $1699...used $999 Emperical Labs Mike E, aka EL-9...

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I was reading a Harmonica mic can get the distortion -ish growl-eq-spike..like Shure bullet mic.
    Probably still need a compressor. hadnt tried that trick.

other than tweaking a free plugin to do it as well, I've not had luck with anything else doing the MikeE tone for cheaper.

I wonder would a blacklion173+1176KT but thats still near $1000 no savings there. would a GAP73>1176 might be $700 used but not built as well I would think? the big dollar gear can do it all-in and all that...

Its probably normal, like a Fender Strat and a Twin Reverb or something. $2000...$1000.....in 76 the new strat was $400.

gearflation...haha

if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-HG

Thanks
    turkey on rye is standard isnt it? corned beef and ruebens is the oem I thought and was the poor mans meat....

minus the 10,000 mustard types we have to choose from.
    mustards being like distortion to the sandwich analogy.

Thanks
    Ya, all those immigrants couldn't wait to try turkey on their Rye. Fresh ground beef with diced onions and black pepper on a shingle, maybe.

Anyway, Dan Electro must still be working on the Turkey on Rye pedal : ) But ya, I think a preamp voicing using NY Deli sandwich names would be great.

The distortion here, sounds a little bit too much even harmonics ? Do you remeber anyone talking about the harmonics ?

Thanks
    They have a few youtube videos but I havent listened to them....like The Harmonics on the BBC or Harmonics Live....I dont know if they even have a harmonica mic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails harmonics-jpg  

Thanks
    update 2-3 months......
    military grade parts to handle the heat, one write up mentioned of the Mike-E.
    That says a lot to me. The quality of parts is probably the biggest difference between cheap and expensive gear. (besides brand name hype and marketing)

Ive been involved in military spec testing of electronic products for a short while, hot , cold, vibration, altitude, drop test etc. It was very real. For example using welded metal and fused glass vs a consumable public part using glue and glass. In short can the parts withstand severe and extreme environments without failing.

Military Grade parts adds some $$$ to the Mike-E (aka EL-9). I call it overbuilt and this unit feels like it. Theres no wobbly plastic knobs as on my Line 6 stuff. The Mike E large white knobs have the feel of a solid, metal, tight, quality gearhead design. Any gearhead appreciates that it seems.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mike-e-tips-png  

Thanks
    Oh ya. Then there was RAD HARD. And now we get our radar programming overseas : )

I think they are still selling T34 tank grease and we can get paper and oil m-spec caps with that. That WW2 receiver I have has all the sections shielded.

What was m-spec, you think ? caps and resistors ?

Thanks
    I'm not sure maybe the entire unit was left on for 10yrs straight and then jumped on repeatedly?

Some of the pushbuttons are mentioned to have a million press's and vacuum sealed design which is total gearhead stuff. I dont think theres any grease but thats a good point. The parts we tested were used in projectors and tvs...but also submarines and the shipping could be very rough rides in very cold areas so that drove that testing.

for a preamp I dont know what would be the benefit of MSpec other than better sealed capacitors? Better Quality Control I suppose.

usually heat is the thing to ruin parts in this stuff or else the drunk guy spilling his beer on your gear....but that drunk guys not around much anymore except when im having too much fun. but even then Im not standing and moving when I play and any beer spills would be due to small area of space and the long Jazz bass neck thats I think the longest guitar neck ever made and can knock a lot of things over or whack the front of the piece.

military grade shoes could be interesting depending on what a person is doing with them.

i dont worry too much about freezing in Texas and the window ac unit doesnt come near shaking my house down but it can lock in a resonance pretty damn good that has to be loosening some nails.

Ive also read EL wiipes all the ic stamps off so people cant copy their design...very cool imo, make the thiefs work a little bit in CHina.

Thanks
    Nice knowing Mike-e and Thee' can take a hit, eject, and carry on.
    Placebo stomps 96k ....... Recent projects
    Ray Catfish Copeland 'Got Love Jim Goodman 'Southern Steel

Thanks
    "Ive also read EL wiipes all the ic stamps off so people cant copy their design...very cool imo:

ya, that is !!!!

Thanks
    reading about distortion vocals I tried the Line6-Vocal gear into gearbox software guitar pedals and it can do the dist very well or not very well on the vocal track...this software is pretty cool for all that.
    in trying to get the clarity of the hardware the ITB preamps and fx, in realtime need Latency work.

I tried some MikeE into the FX unit I had mentioned earlier but it was working and noisy, a downgrade so the FX rack unit is back to the garage for another 10yrs probably...the software does it better per this test.

latency and FX..... Realtime.... not later.

mic>MikeE (hardware preamp/comp)>Line In> DAW track 1
    mic>interface> software preamp/comp> DAW track 2
    mic> interface> preamp (no software)>DAW track 3
    mic> Mike E> LINE IN> software FX realtime> DAW Track 4

coffee first. then Latency test.... how much latency is acceptable if the drummers a bit off and the keys are all delayed and flanged? is it really noticeable? probably not.

how was it to record a good folk song in 1961? a mic, a console, a reel to reel some tube compression and tube eq some candy and pall malls.

Thread Information