Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: $1699...used $999 Emperical Labs Mike E, aka EL-9...

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    so # 2 was like a young Bruce Lee movie where he spins and catches the sword before it enters his chest by one millmeter?

but thats off topic.....back to the Rack!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rack-jpg  

if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-HG

Thanks
    Oh, we almost got a nude EL. Quit teasing us

3. The Following User Says Thank You to garww For This Useful Post:

Thanks

if 6 wasnt 9

garrw how do I say it...hmm...the cartoon version is very good.
    maybe on Saturday mornings the cartoons are even more enjoyable. the ability to store, add reverb to the chain and noiseexpandergate and any other effect with a click instead of rerouting wires and bringing in my reverb rack mount thing is tough. I'll post a clip to see if you can see the difference.

the professional-one is probably the best channel strip Ive owned, after having the cartoon neve/la2a the game is up to a level of more comp squash with the potatoe and clarity. I have the $1000 Symetrix sitting there with 10 minutes on it, on a box, as if its time to sell mode again due to GC not offering crap for about anything, 60% of 50%...not very good, (GC is good however for a test store where I buy stuff then try it out and return it for full refund.) I like that Ronin dude who records pro bands and stuff he does some gear talk and many at that level know the EL distressor, EL fatso Saturation/.... even Brandon kept the Distressor after selling off the majority of the farm. Its that sound most people are looking for I think (1176ish LA2Aish...the MikeE has that in the strip and not by accident).

my problem is maybe I cant hear a big difference to the cartoon version I have already and my sons HR stuff into a $50 Shure PG 58 with techno FLoops sounds better, younger , fresher and more energetic...his stuff sounds like 30yrs younger.... and crisp and clear and sleepy isnt a goal yet. Somehow he can pull off noisy like the Ramones and distortion and techno clean doesnt inhibit the rust that never sleeps. I only maybe do one recording a year these days the logbook shows, really, and thats not finished. I enjoy gear more as in a technical level. but thats waning after 20 preamps sounding the same.

the repair shop said my car must have been out with the prostitutes....engine is blown. good news is last night it was pummeled with hail dents so this check might pay for the new engine. it wont look pretty but thats ok for a work car.

Ill be on Reverb...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails el9-l6-v129q-jpg  

Thanks
    Ya, my last recording was March 26th, and I'm just trying to see if I can get audio sync with the webcam I bought. After many tries, it gave me something in sync, so I don't want to be messing with it. hahah Probably go back to being out of sync next time ? https://youtu.be/_u5sN3EyDF4

My lan connection keeps going out and I lost half the reply.

Anyway, our gears seems more reliable than the automobile

6. The Following User Says Thank You to garww For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    where does your Lan go to when it goes out?
    I prefer the movies now and then if theres no noisy kids or smartphone addicts nearby. sometimes I take the dog out but only if the neighbors arent standing around.

hail hail rock n roll...

Thanks
    That's a nice piece of gear! I made the same kind of obscene investment in a pair of Distressors last year. They are amazing, but I'm sure that I could get 90% there with a software plug. I still wouldn't sell or replace them unless I was down and out. Maybe not even if I was down and out...maybe I could stack them together and use them as a pillow as I sleep under a bridge. I love them, they just have a mojo that might be mostly psycho-acoustic, but I love them just the same. At very least, they're solid pieces of gear that won't ever let me down (except for the one that went on the fritz and I had to send back to Dave for repair). Just like the Mike-E. It's just a solid piece of gear that'll be there for you time and time again.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tadpui For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    yeah the Distressor's seem to be the big shoe for the line.

I agree with the 90% too on the high end maybe 80%. the Outboard for Inboard debate and how much cash does one have? Its an investment right? haha...better than Enron stock.

for real scope and latency and clarity the outboard wins, sure, but how much does one pay for this 10%-20% benefit of clarity and true zero latency?

SOS mentions-
    Leaving the compressor on a 1:1 setting so that only the saturation stage is working allowed a subtle richness to be added to the sound, building as the Drive control was advanced progressively into a much more grungy distortion all very easily controlled and generally very musical!

I think thats the typical preamp "color" people seek with the basically overdrive sound.

so the MikeEL9 preamp is super clean and quiet specd' and also the DRIVE knob can put you in, clean preamps dont have the DRIVE knob it seems where the "1073 types" do.

toasty and warm..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mikeemore-jpg  

Thread Information