100 mics and 50 preamps – and we're just getting started.

These are really great... and it truly appreciate them. But on thing that i think might help out some of use home recordists would be to include a low level pre (makie 1604 pre ... ect) so that we know what we are comparing to. alot of use have not had alot of experience with any thing other than these.
But i think you did have the mackie pres in the first listening sessions, so. I just wanted to say that that was helpful.
Thanks again

I learned 2 things from listening to these.

1. I want a Neumann TLM103
2. I want a Great River MP-1NV

I have used the TLM103 a number of times and never found it that great. I know I am not a majority, but I just don't dig it. I used the AT4033 with it and kept those tracks instead....against that grain, it's tougher that way.

:)

Much to my supprise, I thought the SE Electronics SE3600 on male vox > John Hardy sounded great. I wonder if all the SE3600s sound this good?
-Flatpicker

Extremely useful there DOT!!! I have 3 outbrd pre's plus a decent mic arsenal which I'm planning to add 2 more hi-quality mic's and 1 more pre and you have provided me/us with the oppty to carefully select using our ears, which direction to go!

Thankyou!

ppl, dont forget that, one vocal has a best mic the that voice. for other vocal could be other mic.

but the ideia is great.

thanks DOT

Ummmm, there seems to be some preamps missing from that list... like the most popular ones!

Where's the ART preamps?

No RNP?

No MindPrint products?

No Presonus?

No dbx?

The concept is nice, but most of us can't afford Great River, Neve, and some of the other high-end preamps.
The preamps I listed above are the ones I would be most likely to shop for, because they are affordable.

Once again, all we get is Meek, Behringer, and Studio Projects gear thrown at us.

Boooo Hissss!

Buck62 said:
Ummmm, there seems to be some preamps missing from that list... like the most popular ones!

Where's the ART preamps?

No RNP?

No MindPrint products?

No Presonus?

No dbx?

The concept is nice, but most of us can't afford Great River, Neve, and some of the other high-end preamps.
The preamps I listed above are the ones I would be most likely to shop for, because they are affordable.

Once again, all we get is Meek, Behringer, and Studio Projects gear thrown at us.

Boooo Hissss!

Gotta' good point there!

If you guys will hold on, most of those products will be included. I only list what has been confirmed. I'm in contact with a lot of companies.

The RNP is already on the list.

------------
Dan Richards

Dot, this is great! Really it is, and I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, BUT... don't you guys have any other instruments in your aresenal besides acoustic guitar, electric guitar?
Couldn't you mike up a nice grand piano?!!;)

Dot said:
If you guys will hold on, most of those products will be included. I only list what has been confirmed. I'm in contact with a lot of companies.

The RNP is already on the list.

------------
Dan Richards

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we..................

Michael, this is very early in the process. We'll have all kinds of instruments and will be doing a lot of different styles of music.

Last edited:
Ok real quick heres some i liked and didnt like, please share you opinions too!
1st off, i hate MP3s, maybes its my newbish ear, but alot of the 1st session i couldnt hear ANY difference between mics/pres....Now session 2, thats more my style 8)

Beyer-VTB1....good
sm57-vtb-1..good
4040-vtb1-bad! was that mic in another room? =P
C1-vtb1- decent

ALL the speck pre sounded bad to me

4050-hardy-more bad...others were ok

Great River -*bows* Now i understand why its worth it to spend that much money on a pre...The Beyer+Mp-nv1 sounded INCREDIBLE.....the 4050 STILL sounds like ass.....(is this what all AT mics sound like? maybe one ill avoid)

Brent averil--seem a hair below Mpnv1 in quality....selling babies to buy a beyer 160...

API...about the same as BA.......getting tired now heh
C1 seems to be a decent mic for the money(overall)

Rest of the guitar samples either dont stand out much or im getting tired of the same guitar riff =P C1 seems a little metallic on the ivory2

Vox samples-harder for me to hear a difference....TLM103 stood out (not surprisingly)

4050 turned out to be a decent vocal mic (obviously not one for guitar!) Ok im tired of acting like i know what im talking about, tell me how wrong i am!

D

deadleafecho said:
4040-vtb1-bad! was that mic in another room? =P

Was that file #5? If so, I agree. Too much slapback echo, and a "smeary" quality to it. If you're talking about file #6, I don't agree at all. IMO that was one of the BETTER sounding ones...

Strange, since it's still the VTB1 & 4050, but w/the "tube blend" dialed to 12 o'clock.

EDIT: BTW IMO the best sounding combos for guitar:

VTB1 & 4050 (tube blend)
SM57 & MP2
C1 & Phoenix (overall BEST, despite clipping in file)
All mics & John Hardy (very impressed w/those)

Worst? Hands down the TL Audio 5051 & C1... ugh :rolleyes:

Back