your favorite compressor/limiter for vocals

junplugged

Taking the slow road
while recording - printing the compressed output.

why? b/c as HOME recordists we can't ride the fader like a good engineer would.

so i want a hot signal but without overloading the solid state daw side.

a hot preamp would be nice, but i'll have to settle for having a lower signal there since overloading that is not an option, although tube clip may be passable, and can be a little hotter without ss disto it's i'd still rather have none.

also using 16 bit so i'll have to be careful since i think i'm supposed to use that top area.

(although i just remembered that can use 24 if i want only 8 tracks, is that worth it? ...thinking while typing, if i'm only doing solo acoustic, which is where i'd have to be careful since my hands are tied, maybe i'll try the 24bit)

junplugged said:
while recording - printing the compressed output.

why? b/c as HOME recordists we can't ride the fader like a good engineer would.

so i want a hot signal but without overloading the solid state daw side.

a hot preamp would be nice, but i'll have to settle for having a lower signal there since overloading that is not an option, although tube clip may be passable, and can be a little hotter without ss disto it's i'd still rather have none.

also using 16 bit so i'll have to be careful since i think i'm supposed to use that top area.

(although i just remembered that can use 24 if i want only 8 tracks, is that worth it? ...thinking while typing, if i'm only doing solo acoustic, which is where i'd have to be careful since my hands are tied, maybe i'll try the 24bit)

Did we forget to take our ADD meds this morning? ?

:D

Whoo. Alright, so, um ... you want a compressor for vocals. You might try the RNC or any of the other ones that people recommend on this board all the time.

If you're doing this to try and maximize your volume going in or to prevent digital clipping, then I wouldn't waste your time. Just track at a lower level. Even with a good compressor, you'll still get digital overs, and anything out there even resembling a brickwall limiter in the budget range isn't going to be much better than digital distortion anyway. Safesound P1 is the only exception, and that one starts out at around $5-600.

Compress on the way in for color, not safety. And unless you are planning on spending $1000+, don't bother trying to add color while tracking.

For safety, as Chessrock said, turn down your mic preamp gain. Especially if you are recording at 24 bits. If you need more volume for monitoring, turn up the software fader instead.

Back