Worth a Pre-amp upgrade?

Problem solved...My friend just said he had an ISA 428, AKG C414 and Neumann U87 I can borrow whenever I need it! This will solve all my recording problems and all my albums will sound professional now that I have this gear, right? ;)

Problem solved...My friend just said he had an ISA 428, AKG C414 and Neumann U87 I can borrow whenever I need it! This will solve all my recording problems and all my albums will sound professional now that I have this gear, right? ;)

and that is what some would call a win :thumbs up:

.....and now i've got some monumental gear lust! i'm still waiting for an ISA Two to appear second hand on the evilbay.

I'm sure you'll enjoy every second with those added extra's (i know i would). let us know how they sound when you've got some recording done with them :thumbs up:

Last edited:
I'm simultaneously happy to have them here, and angry that I don't (and won't be able to afford to) own them. The Neumann sounds amazing, obviously. I use it through the ISA on a cello track Tuesday and it was so smooth. I initially set up the C414 thinking it would be better for the instrument (I was under the impression that U87 was a particularly good vocal mic) but it sounded too harsh. It might have sounded better through the tubes of my MPA, but after setting up the U87 I didn't care anymore :D

I also got those Midnight plugins and have been experimenting with them. They definitely have a unique sound. I recently used them to bring out some of the higher frequencies on a muddy acoustic guitar track and they were awesome. I A/Bed it with the Logic Channel EQ plugin doing a high-shelf boosting 6.5dB around 8.5k and it was a totally different sound. The Channel EQ was a very literal boost of those frequency, and provided a bit of the tin can effect due to it. The Midnight EQ provided much more brightness without so much of a "filter" sound (if that makes sense), although it did introduce MUCH more noise. However, the noise actually sat well in the track, you could barely hear it most of the time and when you did it was rather endearing, so it worked out pretty well. Thanks for the recommendation on that guy! Still not convinced I like the compressor better though :)

Compressors (software) are tough ones. I have had some positive, and many bad results with some of them. I paid dearly for my favorite (Waves API 2500), but it is not always the best choice for everything. I sometimes go with the 'free' Density MKII. Check that out as an option.

I must say, though I do not have experience with them (Midnight Plugs), that a $99 package, is likely not going to sound like 'much more expensive' software. There are exceptions to this however. And I use many that cost less, though for one plugin alone.

The cost of a plug does not mean it is better, though you get what you pay for in most cases.

I will add though, that plugins will not fix a sound of a poor performance or recording chain. It can only enhance the 'goodness'. Sometimes fix crap to a degree, but not the best route...

Best to get the sound right at the source.

Sorry if I came in out of context. Been busy lately, and this just caught my eye.

:D

Well said. This particular use was a recording from a few years back, when I still had a lot to learn (or at least more than I do now!) and the recording wasn't incredible, and the performance wasn't exceptional due to the lack of time (track, mix, and duplicate in 4 days!). So a lot of what I was doing was fixing crap, but I also have learned a lot about getting the right performance and tracking since then.

I wasn't really looking for a "fix my mix" plug, really, mostly just looking to expand my options. I've exclusively used Logic's plugs for the most part so I wanted to get outside that box.

Well said. This particular use was a recording from a few years back, when I still had a lot to learn (or at least more than I do now!) and the recording wasn't incredible, and the performance wasn't exceptional due to the lack of time (track, mix, and duplicate in 4 days!). So a lot of what I was doing was fixing crap, but I also have learned a lot about getting the right performance and tracking since then.

I wasn't really looking for a "fix my mix" plug, really, mostly just looking to expand my options. I've exclusively used Logic's plugs for the most part so I wanted to get outside that box.

Outside of the box (while inside it), is a good place to be. None of us can tell anyone what works for another. Though, there are good ones to try. Anything from 'Stillwell' I would recommend demo'ing and purchasing what works for you. :)

Outside of the box (while inside it), is a good place to be. None of us can tell anyone what works for another. Though, there are good ones to try. Anything from 'Stillwell' I would recommend demo'ing and purchasing what works for you. :)

Haha for sure. One day I will get out of the box for real! Been eyeing that new Midas console, I think I'll be saving up for that in the next year.

Back