Why must my mono songs become converted to "stereo" on cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanD

so i finished my album(its a 20 track album i did in two in weeks on the 4 track that sounds like my white album). so im excited for people to hear it, but whenever i try to burn it onto cd, it takes my beautiful mono mixes and the songs get split up into two channels. i think it hurts the sound. Is there anything i can do? is it really affecting the sound, or is it in my head.

jameson - brain castbloodheavenwarloverocker.zip - 69.16MB

that is a link to download the whole album!

here is the tracklisting

1. 01.Jameson - Soul Strut(dont knock) (3:15)
2. 02.Jameson - Gold Queen (2:53)
3. 03.Jameson - Fanny Lee (3:13)
4. 04.Jameson - Devil Man (6:47)
5. 05.Jameson - Who Will Listen (3:51)
6. 06.Jameson - I Want a Love (5:57)
7. 07.Jameson - Sleep Little Angel (4:58)
8. 08.Jameson - Sunset (2:13)
9. 09.Jameson - Moonlight Traveler (4:20)
10. 10.Jameson - Red White and Blue (3:58)
11. 11.Jameson - The War is Over(helicopter fighter) (4:21)
12. 12.Jameson - Freeway of your Life (4:04)
13. 13.Jameson - Rocker (4:14)
14. 14.Jameson - Never Gonna be a Star (3:40)
15. 15.Jameson - It was Always you (4:37)
16. 16.Jameson - China Girl (2:28)
17. 17.Jameson - Telly (3:15)
18. 18.Jameson - Its not Easy (4:07)
19. 19.Jameson - River Mountain (3:40)
20. 20.Jameson - Know Everything (Who Will Listen Reprise) (3:54)

give it a chance!

Last edited:
so i finished my album(its a 20 track album i did in two in weeks on the 4 track that sounds like my white album). so im excited for people to hear it, but whenever i try to burn it onto cd, it takes my beautiful mono mixes and the songs get split up into two channels. i think it hurts the sound. Is there anything i can do? is it really affecting the sound, or is it in my head.

Why don't you just unplug one of your speakers?

Problem solved.

:D

i just like seeing one big warm wave. now its split into two. i think it sounds different! is there no way to burn it as one channel onto cd.

and if anyone is interested in hearing the album, i'd put it up if someone would like! its good psychedellic pop!

Unless my info is off, CD-DA files are color-booked (standardized) to L/R audio. You can burn mono MP3, WMA, WAV, etc., but all do not play in many CD players, especially older units.

Have you tried cloning the mono track, setting one clone as the left track, one clone as the right track, and burning from there?

Paj
8^?

Have you tried cloning the mono track, setting one clone as the left track, one clone as the right track, and burning from there?

It seems to me that the burning process is probably doing just that.

JordanD--

are you sure they sound different or is it a touch of paranoia? No offense, but it's easy to be too worried sometimes. Maybe you can post one of your original mono mixes, along with it's corresponding stereo CD version, and let us hear them. Maybe some other ears will put you at ease. (Or maybe we'll hear the difference too and confirm your fears.)

cd's are 44.1/16 stereo, that's the format. AFAIK there's no way to burn a true mono wav file as an audio cd. You'll have to mix it down as a stereo wav file with everything panned dead center.

thats what i thought :( i hate that it mutilated my wavs!

i'll post some of the mp3 converted monos for you guys to enjoy, and if anyone wants, i'll upload the whole album. im not going to keep worrying about the horrible cd thing, nobody uses cds anyway! i'd like to release this album on vinyl. i recorded it onto vhs cassette for a nice analog sound.

03.jameson - fanny lee.mp3 - 2.95MB

heres one! more to come

It certainly isn't going to affect the sound -- Mono is mono, dual mono is still mono. 100 x mono is still mono.

Create a stereo track by copying the mono track, then delete the information on the new track and burn it as a stereo wav. There's nothing in the Red book code that says the second track has to have information in it; just that the second track's gotta be there.

thanks heavy, i'll try that. do you guys ever get headaches when you get wrapped up in a project like this, and your ears feel dead, and your eye twitches and you just feel really sick and down from it all. 20 tracks in two weeks is one thing, but its the whole technical stuff were forced to do ourselves as well. it kills you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back