Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What mixing board is best for the money

jimistone is offline 1K Silver Member
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the motorized faders major benifit...on a preset scene the faders are already where they need to be? On a board without motorized faders when you move the fader...even barely touching it by accident the volume adjusts immediately to that level. So if that fader happens to be all the way up and the particular preset you're using has the fader set way down the volume would spike up to all the way if the fader is moved even a tiny bit.
    Is this correct?
    That was my experience with a korg d1600 recorder I had that uses stored mix scenes ( my only experience with digital mixing)
    Last edited by jimistone; 01-18-2013 at 05:51.
    No matter what they say, I begin another day...
    And I roll like I roll...I roll like I roll.

Bobbsy is offline Boring Old Git
    Well, for me the motorised faders go beyond "major benefit" and into "necessity" but, as you can see from Witzendoz's post, there are various ways of working and everyone has different priorities.

The Presonus does offer a way to move the faders manually to the right position without the big changes in level you mention but, particularly on a scene with lots of channels, it seemed too slow and fiddly to me.

That's why, of your shortlisted mixers, I'd go for the x32 or else prowl the second hand market.
    The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The optimist sees it as half full. The realist just drains the darn thing and gets a refill!

Ok, I've read the online reviews on each board and it seems both boards are getting very good reviews. I must say that the behringer give you a lot more for the money.
    I think it's the obvious choice but...

2 concerns:
    Do you guys think the behringer 32x will be a solid dependable piece of equipment?

And

If it screws up how good is behringer at fixing it and getting back to you quickly?

Ditto on the presonus

moresound is offline Loud Sun Studios
    New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    The X32 has been out on the market for some time now (longer in beta testing) With no major complaints!
    If needed the issue of fixing any Behringer product has been revamped.

The thing with the X32 is that the whole Behringer company is riding on this product as a make or break situation.
    And the fact that Behringer purchase Midas and is using their preamps and technology is the winner in my book.
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

☼ Mucho Loco Henry Areebah! ☼

Any mic you buy will be perfectly suited to your needs, until you use it long enough to learn that it's not.

Yeah, basically as Moresound says. The x32 has been delivered for about six months now and I've yet to hear of any breakdowns or problems. I was just totting up and I personally know 22 individuals/companies who have bought them (with number 23 taking delivery next week).

Of course the downside of that reliability is that I don't know anyone who's had to go back to Behringer for service. However, the x32 is a bit of a leap of faith for Behringer as they try to capitalise on their purchase of Midas (one of the most expensive mixers in the world) and persuade professionals to use Behringer gear. I'd be greatly surprised if they didn't have a plan to impress when any service IS needed. However, that can only be a guess on my part.

Question for Americans...Behringer used to have a policy of swapping new for old on any warranty service (in the USA--not Europe). Does that still exist and does it apply to the x32?
    The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The optimist sees it as half full. The realist just drains the darn thing and gets a refill!

moresound is offline Loud Sun Studios
    New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    Not sure of that, Bob.
    For the only thing that has gone down has been one of their Di boxes for me and that sits in the broken pile at the shop for it only cost me $19.
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

☼ Mucho Loco Henry Areebah! ☼

Any mic you buy will be perfectly suited to your needs, until you use it long enough to learn that it's not.

Thanks for your insight and advise guys, I really do appreciate it.

Regarding service/repairs, I had occasion to exchange messages last night with the guy in charge of marketing the x32 so asked if they had any plans for servicing. His reply is:

Thanks for the feedback.

As far as repairs we know, "the show must go on", and do everything possible to make things right and get you up and running in event of an issue.
    Given that we have sold over 22,000-plus X32 consoles in the past months, the number of issues has been extremely low.
    Let your friend know that we recently built and put into service a new Care Center in Las Vegas, NV.
    This also houses our Midas and Klark Teknik brands and is a true modern hi-tech facility.

Our lead X32 tech is Chase McKnight. Below is his direct phone number at the Vegas facility.
    CHASE DIRECT: 702-371-0830 or chase.mcknight@music-group.com
    If I can ever help in anyway, hit me with a PM on the forum or email me: joe.sanborn@music-group.com

If any of you guys are making it to the NAMM show next week, please stop by and say "HI".
    We are really expanding the X32 line with some truly innovative solutions

Best,
    Joe Sanborn
    Now, his job is to sell the x32 but setting up a specific service centre sounds like a step in the right direction. Hope this helps.

gecko zzed is offline audio illusion
    Quote Originally Posted by jimistone View Post
    I have heard for years and years on this very BBS that behringer is total crap and to stay away from it. My only experience with behringer is a crossover that malfunctioned a fried a nice set of horns in my main speakers several years ago. While a realize that most all companies have some jewels and some dogs behringer has really been bashed over and over again. So, I guess what I'm getting at is no matter how good the features are...reliability plays a key role. That being said ...I know nothing about the reliability of either board.
    There has been a lot of group-think going on about Behringer, and Behri-bashing has been a common and popular past-time. That's not to say that Behri is not without flaws. But then again, there are few brands that are without flaws . . . they just don't attract the same amount of condemnation.

Having said that, by all accounts, Behri has turned out a gem with the X32, and may mark a turning point in people's attitudes.
    http://homerecording.com/bbs/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=45599&dateline=1256715193
    I have a theory about that

Hey bobbsy, thanks for that info. Our church will be expanding in the not too distant future and I know that we could possibly need to take a look at power amps and speakers at that point...So, there will probably be other consideration in the audio budget besides a new board. I don't see anything out there offering what the x32 does for anywhere near the price. It would be a no brainier from the get go if the quality build and repair service weren't in question (for me anyway)
    This thread and moresounds thread has done a lot to address my concerns in that area.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information