Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What exactly is wrong with Behringer brand mixers?

moresound is offline Loud Sun Studios
    New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbsy View Post
    Of course the other thing to say is that, for 90% of home studio folks, there's no need to have a mixer at all. An interface with the right number of inputs plus monitoring outputs will do the job and at far better quality.
    I know!

A lot of companies are cleaning up with the notion that you need a console to record - It's nice - but not necessary.
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

☼ Mucho Loco Henry Areebah! ☼

Any mic you buy will be perfectly suited to your needs, until you use it long enough to learn that it's not.

Lt. Bob is offline Spread the Daf!
    Quote Originally Posted by moresound View Post
    Also had a peavey that was set up like a keyboard (you had to screw the legs on the bottom then stand it up) With knobs that were the size of tea plates! Real Sci-Fi looking.
    I had one of those! And they had the numbers on the volume knobs in reverse because a volume knob is going to infinite ground at zero .... so the numbers started with an infinity symbol and went backwards from the infinity to like, 64 or something and got smaller until at wide open they were marked zero!

I had the 16 channel model and they were huge!
    Also had pretty good patching capabilities for the time and a built in electronic crossover!
    Memories.
    If you know the secret codes you can get by the mastering boss on level 8.

I had an Earth PA ( looked just like Peavey) back in like 1972!
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

Any mic you buy will be perfectly suited to your needs, until you use it long enough to learn that it's not.

Then went pretty much high tech from there and got an EarCraft PA. Nice stuff at the time but needed a 22 foot box truck to carry it all.

Electrofan is offline Registered User
    I understand the mentality that Mixers are not a "need" for most home studios. However, in my case, it is a need. I often sample music and or do mic and music tests with my daughters when we play a certain song, which does not involve the computer at all. I have KRK Rokit 8s for reference during actual recording, but I use Peavey PR15s through a crown amp to practice vocals and backgrounds during practices. So the mixer serves doubly duties. Sometimes live practices, other times actual recording.

I continue to use mixers ..... I just find the abudance of knobs and patching capability, ease of EQ'ing and so forth is something I want and prefer. But then I'm pretty old school ... having done it the old way so long it's kinda intuitive for me now ...... why change?

Bobbsy is offline Boring Old Git
    I also use a mixer--but mine is orders of magnitude more capable (and expensive) than an entry level Behringer.

As Lt. Bob says, you get to a stage where the patching capabilities become at very least convenient, if not essential. However, unless you're very careful about what you need, most entry level boards will come back to bite you when you discover that you can't get a signal from "there to there". They also do no favours in terms of sound quality.

This is why, if somebody DOES need a mixer, I tend to favour the idea of a decent one second hand rather than a brand new cheapie.

(Or, in my case, I squandered a large chunk of the lump sum I got when I collected my pension.)
    The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The optimist sees it as half full. The realist just drains the darn thing and gets a refill!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbsy View Post
    I also use a mixer--but mine is orders of magnitude more capable (and expensive) than an entry level Behringer.

As Lt. Bob says, you get to a stage where the patching capabilities become at very least convenient, if not essential. However, unless you're very careful about what you need, most entry level boards will come back to bite you when you discover that you can't get a signal from "there to there". They also do no favours in terms of sound quality.

This is why, if somebody DOES need a mixer, I tend to favour the idea of a decent one second hand rather than a brand new cheapie.

(Or, in my case, I squandered a large chunk of the lump sum I got when I collected my pension.)
    all of this .... plus, for me, I've done it so long now ( 1st 4-track reel to reel in 1970 I think) that I've accumulated lots of hardware that I still like to use and most of that stuff is easiest to quickly toss in the mix if you have a mixer.

Consoles and and outboard gear rules!

Seeker of Rock is offline The One and Only
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Bob View Post
    all of this .... plus, for me, I've done it so long now ( 1st 4-track reel to reel in 1970 I think) that I've accumulated lots of hardware that I still like to use and most of that stuff is easiest to quickly toss in the mix if you have a mixer.
    Quote Originally Posted by moresound View Post
    Consoles and and outboard gear rules!
    +1. It is the way I learned and I have no desire to change it at this point in my life. I kind of admire the people who learned or evolved to learn in-the-box, but that will never be me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Bob View Post
    I do this for a living and I wouldn't choose to use a POS over any of my other 14 guitars

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information