Wanna buy some history?

that's bigger than the entire floor area of the room i'm in, so what are they replacing it with? some stuff that we all use? :)

Well, I know what I'm putting on my wishlist for this Christmas... if 250,000 of my closest friends donated one lowly dollar to my Christmas present, I would totally pay the shipping costs. *wonder how much UPS ground would cost :D*

Someone was shocked at the fact that it is a 48-track desk... but in studios not constructed around computers, weren't 48-track desks fairly common in larger professional studios?

Someone was shocked at the fact that it is a 48-track desk... but in studios not constructed around computers, weren't 48-track desks fairly common in larger professional studios?

And it looks like a pair of Otari 2 inchers in the background to go with the tracks on the console. Nice....

See, that makes sense.

In the days when 2" 24-tracks were the standard, I wonder how many studios had more than 24-track capabilities... I would imagine a 48-track desk plus a second 24-track machine would cost a lot more damn money, hehe.

At the same time, how many bands at the time went beyond 24 tracks, when they were recording vocals in one or maybe a few takes, instruments each had a channel or so, etc. etc.

As usual, technology has made us sloppier and less talented. 60 years ago and back, you had to nail the entire performance with the entire band in a take. Then came small multi-channel recorders and track bouncing, so you had a rhythm section recorded, then maybe vocals and lead parts added separately.

Then you got into 8+ channel studios, right up to 24. Bands could record individual parts over and over.

Nowadays you can sing a vocal part 487 times, and the engineer can cut out each individual word depending which was the "best".

I love multitrack technology, but yea... aaaand end unrelated rant!

Eventually a singer will be able to go into the studio, record the different pitches his range will allow, and you will be able to feed lyrics and notation into the computer, and it will generate the vocal line perfectly. The singer could then go and OD because we would be able to generate a track with their voice singing true-to-life from here until eternity. :p

Back