Vocal Preamp

warlock110

I know i know, there's a kabillion thread on it already, but after reading about 50 i have gather up to this, but none of it matter because alot of them is opinions and crap, so i'm trying to get 1 last shot before i buy my preamp.

a few point i like to note:

Budget: 150 or under (so none of that crap about 500+ pre and sounds so much better, budget is 150 and that's it)

Use: vocal only, i only need it for vocal, nothing else, i know preamp ranges from "transparent/clean" to "colored" and to be frank i think the best preamp for vocal is colored ones (i went to listention session website and all the expensive amp that's labled as "color" did super on vocal, although they're all 1K+ amp = no fun for me). I only need 1 channel.

Own: i own an audio buddy and a MIC 800, also note here that the MIC 800 (beriger sucks balls), never ever purchase their product again, the audio buddy is just ok IMO, it's a bit harsh sounding for my taste, i want that lush vocal sound of pop music

I've been looking and the budget is pretty limited:
DMP3: this is like the most popular pre on here and i don't know if it's any better than the audio buddy, to be honest from the same company and they seems to be related, i do not want another one that sounds like my audio buddy. Also this pre is discribes as clean and transparents, IMO it's not great for vocal, good for instrument but i don't think it'll do well for vocal. This one is 2 channel but i also don't need 2 channel. Unless there's some break through info about this amp do on vocal i probably stays away from it. From a blind test did on here compare to the RNP i actually like this one better, but it was on acustic guitar.

VTB-1: this is another popular one, and it seems there's mix opinon on it, 1 side said it's great, the other said it's crap and the reviews are bogus. It's 1 channel and it has the "toob" design. From the blind test, this was the one i didn't like, although that was also on guitar and for some reason people like this alot on vocal. Also mix opinion, and someone also claims "it's good but not an upgrade from the audio buddy" which kindda hit me in the head, i was seriously about getting one of this.

Electro-Harmonix 12AY7: this one is slightly over the budget but i might be able to manage, it's a real tube pre that has "raving" reviews, but i'll be honest here, i'm starting to think reviews on audio gear are all bogus, all the reviews i've seen are possitive until i buy it and it's crap, i'm starting to think these people give good reviews for free gear. Never the less, a real tube pre under 200 is pretty rare.

Rane MS1B: no clue on this one, it's suppose to be model after the Grace 101 which is much more expensive, good reviews but dang i'm starting to get scare to read reviews now.

I have both the VTB1 and DMP3. They are both good pre-amps but I much prefer the DMP3. I use my preamps mainly for vocals and have got pretty good results with the VTB1 but I love the more transparent DMP3.
The DMP3 is built with much better quality components (VTB1 uses same OpAmps as Behringer preamps!).
I'm looking for another preamp to add to my DMP3 and have decided on the Joe Meek 3Q. The Joe Meek 3Q has much better quality components than the VTB1 (same preamp as the top of their range) and has a compressor and EQ.
I've not personally tried the Rane MS-1b but I've heard a lot of experienced engineers say that it's very similar to the DMP3 and FMR RNP in sound. I've also heard that the difference between the DMP3, Rane and RNP is very slight so I chose the DMP3 and am put the money I saved towards a different mike which would make more of a difference than a different pre!

I know i know, there's a kabillion thread on it already, but after reading about 50 i have gather up to this, but none of it matter because alot of them is opinions and crap, so i'm trying to get 1 last shot before i buy my preamp.

So, you decided to pose the same question again, only to get the same set of responses from the same people? Hmm.

(so none of that crap about 500+ pre and sounds so much better, budget is 150 and that's it)

But... 500+ dollar preamps DO sound better. Budget is fine, but don't knock the high-quality stuff :p

i think the best preamp for vocal is colored ones

Are you going to be solely recording your own voice? If not, it would probably be better to own a more transparent preamp, so you don't wind up with something that works well with some people and shit with others. And to be honest with you, at this price point, you aren't really going to find "colorful" pres - you're going to find relatively transparent ones, and ones that sound like shit.

I own an audio buddy and a MIC 800 ... i want that lush vocal sound of pop music

Upgrading your preamp isn't going to transform the sound of your vocal recordings from shit to "lush pop music tone" (which again, in itself seems to be an oxymoron :D) What kind of mic are you using?

I've been looking and the budget is pretty limited:
DMP3: this is like the most popular pre on here and i don't know if it's any better than the audio buddy, to be honest from the same company and they seems to be related, i do not want another one that sounds like my audio buddy. Also this pre is discribes as clean and transparents, IMO it's not great for vocal, good for instrument but i don't think it'll do well for vocal. This one is 2 channel but i also don't need 2 channel. Unless there's some break through info about this amp do on vocal i probably stays away from it. From a blind test did on here compare to the RNP i actually like this one better, but it was on acustic guitar.

Of these preamps I've used the DMP-3. It is fairly transparent (i.e. doesn't add a fresh coating of shit to everything passed through it), and the gain is damn clean for the price point. I've cranked that thing all the way up to +66dB and the only noise I got was from the room itself.

I'm pretty sure you are going to get the same set of answers you read in all those other threads, which I also read when I was looking around for an upgraded preamp. I went with the DMP-3 because the Rane looked non-commercial and there wasn't much info on it outside of this website, and I skipped the VTB simply because I get a bad feeling about any gear with faux-tube circuitry. I ended up with a good pre. On vocals, it works - I'm running a modded Rode K2 through it, so that is really going to make a difference. If you run a shitty mic through anything, its still going to sound like shit - be it colored or transparent.

Any one of the ones listed should do a perfectly acceptable job of bringing your mic up to line level and delivering that signal to your interface.

What kind of mic are you using?

You might get more bang for your buck changing mic instead of mic pre.

You might get more bang for your buck changing mic instead of mic pre.

Aww, I already asked!! No fair!

I really hope that, like most new posters, he is using a radio shack condenser, and believes that some other part of the chain will fix the whole problem by upgrading, verses a better mic. But that never happens :rolleyes:

Aww, I already asked!! No fair!

I really hope that, like most new posters, he is using a radio shack condenser, and believes that some other part of the chain will fix the whole problem by upgrading, verses a better mic. But that never happens :rolleyes:

I had the page opened WAY too long before I replied. I got distracted with work. :p

I grant you the distinction of asking first, but it is a good question

Excuse me - some of us need as much toob tone as possible, thank you :D

Why don't you just tell him to skip the microphone, then, and simply sing in to the tube ?

I'm sure that would give you some amazing tube character; probably similar to what you'd get with one of those ART or Studio Project thingies.

I have SM57 and a CAD M177. They're pretty low budget but i don't think i'll get any noticable sound without a much bigger budget (like 400+ mic)

....but i'll be honest here, i'm starting to think reviews on audio gear are all bogus, all the reviews i've seen are possitive until i buy it and it's crap, i'm starting to think these people give good reviews for free gear.

At some point you may want to consider the possibility that maybe, just maybe, it's not that all the reviews are bogus and all the gear is crap. Maybe it's something else, some other common denominator........

I have SM57 and a CAD M177. They're pretty low budget but i don't think i'll get any noticable sound without a much bigger budget (like 400+ mic)

So what makes you think your going to get a "noticable sound without a much bigger budget" (like 400+ preamp)? I think most, not all, but most of us around these parts find bigger sonic gains in incremental mic upgrades than in incremental preamp upgrades.

At some point you may want to consider the possibility that maybe, just maybe, it's not that all the reviews are bogus and all the gear is crap. Maybe it's something else, some other common denominator........

So what makes you think your going to get a "noticable sound without a much bigger budget" (like 400+ preamp)? I think most, not all, but most of us around these parts find bigger sonic gains in incremental mic upgrades than in incremental preamp upgrades.

if you're implying that i suck, then that might be true, but there's no denying the fact that everywhere reviews on audiogear (and as the matter of fact this applies strongly in audio gear) that all the reviews are possitive, don't you find that strange? I'm not saying much, but i get burn alot from reviews and i tend to take them lightly now.

And the 2nd part i think you missed understand my replies, i said i have a CAD M177, and i like the character it has, the next step up is probably some 400 dollars mic, since someone was talking about mic i just tell them what i have now. Since i like the characteristics of the mic, i probably won't swap it out to "try" for a new mic.

As far as preamp, i know there isn't alot of changes but you have to start froms somewhere and something that's usable, what i have now is consider (by myself with my crappy skill) is not usable, i need to get something slightly better that I can use and not have to worry about it not working right.

1) the MIC 800 (berringer) is not usable because i don't like it's sonic quality (too thin and sound like my berringer preamp on the berringer mixer which sucks balls
2) the audio buddy, it a very very low budget preamp that can't supply enough power (according to most people), i think it has good characteristic but just to be on the safe side an upgrade is probably best.

2) the audio buddy, it a very very low budget preamp that can't supply enough power (according to most people), i think it has good characteristic but just to be on the safe side an upgrade is probably best.

Well I haven't personally tried the Audiobuddy but the DMP3 has no problems supplying enough power and is definately a good place to start.

Yea, the CAD M177 gets decent press around here, and I find people are pretty spot-on in their reviews on this site, as there is no personal gain on the part of the owner of the bbs to delete posts giving negative feedback about a product.

I'd say, stop in a store if you can (guitar center, preferably), and buy the DMP-3. If it makes not a damn difference, take it back and get your money back. If you like it keep it.

If you don't have access to any stores close by, order one and be done with it. It will provide all the clean gain you need.

The DMP3 may or may not make you sound like the feline's sleepwear. But it will not hurt your signal chain or recorded sound in any way.

Yea, the CAD M177 gets decent press around here, and I find people are pretty spot-on in their reviews on this site, as there is no personal gain on the part of the owner of the bbs to delete posts giving negative feedback about a product.

I'd say, stop in a store if you can (guitar center, preferably), and buy the DMP-3. If it makes not a damn difference, take it back and get your money back. If you like it keep it.

If you don't have access to any stores close by, order one and be done with it. It will provide all the clean gain you need.

sounds like a good plan. I hate to return but i think it has to be done that way.

Back