vintech x81 for all around pre

audiophilez

I currently own a groove tubes brick witch I love for that warm tubey stuff, I was in the market for a good clean mic preamp for all around use. perhaps a built in eq as well. I was looking into the presonus eureka though I get mixed opinions(and I am aware most all gear will recieve mixed opinions) The vintech x81 is a replica of a neve 1073, witch seems to be a tried and true staple of the recording industry since before I was born and I cant think of a major studio that dosent have one. I record onto a 1/2" tape machine so I am interested in something very clean and quiet figuring tape has a hiss of its own. Does this vintech seem to be a good bet? I really do want a high quality preamp witch is why I havent gone for the dmp3, tampa, eureka...
perhaps this is another "It depends on what you want to hear" type question but any input would be appriciated. perhaps in this $1500 area.

I wouldnt call vintech"clean"....

as far as clean goes..

you have the GML, DAV(my favorite), Grace, Millennia, DACS, Martech, Davissound, Kuhnle, Gordon,,..

Im sure you can find info on all of those. Ive used all of the above clean amps,(and own 2 millennias) and my order of preference is DAV/Gordon/DACS

www.davelectronics.com/bg1.htm

audiophilez said:
I currently own a groove tubes brick witch I love for that warm tubey stuff, I was in the market for a good clean mic preamp for all around use. perhaps a built in eq as well. I was looking into the presonus eureka though I get mixed opinions(and I am aware most all gear will recieve mixed opinions) The vintech x81 is a replica of a neve 1073, witch seems to be a tried and true staple of the recording industry since before I was born and I cant think of a major studio that dosent have one. I record onto a 1/2" tape machine so I am interested in something very clean and quiet figuring tape has a hiss of its own. Does this vintech seem to be a good bet? I really do want a high quality preamp witch is why I havent gone for the dmp3, tampa, eureka...
perhaps this is another "It depends on what you want to hear" type question but any input would be appriciated. perhaps in this $1500 area.

I dig the grace 201 and the dav 4 channel rackmount, is there anywhere I can get some more info or opinions on these units. I also notice there is no pricing on the website

Well, from my experience with the 1073 (not the vintage ones, the newer AMS Neve version),at least on overheads, was that I would have to say they have a character-color about them. I really wouldnt call them "clean". Not distorted or dirty, it just has its own sound. We ended up using the Wunder PA4 for the overheads to get that last bit of.....higher overtones?,...air? I dont know what to call it, it just had a sweeter high end. It also kicks ass on low end too, so its not just a limited use type item. Now theyre not cheap, but for $2800 for 4 channels and $400 for power supply, it ends up being around $800 per channel. I can honestly say that since Ive heard them,on a lot of different shit, I think they are a great pre.

I really like my Chameleon Labs 7602-- it's like a Vintech x73 clone-- it got really good reviews in TapeOp, in EM and on Mojo Pie. I got mine with the power supply for $715 shipped from Pacific Pro Audio. It is, however, a piece that has generated significant controversy on other boards such as Gearslutz-- some people think it's great, some people think it's shite.

I have a pair of Vintech X73s that I'm considering getting rid of, but I keep on going back and forth on deciding if I really should go through with it.

As mic preamps alone, I found them to be somewhat "picky" with what mics you plug into them; which is fine for me, because most of the time, I have a 57 and ribbon mic plugged into them and it sounds great!

While the preamps certainly aren't clean or accurate and are certainly dirty and gritty in a good way, oddly enough, I've never found the preamps to give me added size, width, girth as I had expected; not any more than what would seem natural and what I've gotten from good accurate preamps!

So what do I really like with my X73s that would justify keeping them around? The DI & EQ.

I can throw ANYTHING into the DI, be it a bass, electric guitar, keyboard, an extremely hi or lo level line, balanced or unbalanced, hi or low impedences, mixes, whatever, and what comes out is ALWAYS something at least useable; but most of the time, I'm actually impressed with how good it sounds!

And the EQ is just right! If I'm using the EQ section, chances are, I'm tracking guitar or bass. I don't always, but with the X73 EQs, I don't ever think twice about doing some major carving; as it just sounds so good! Plus, I find it has just the right amount of control. I never feel restricted, and at the same time, I never feel overwhelmed with too many options.

Back