upgrading studio from portable to racked!!

e unum pluribus

i like most of you began recording with portable audio interface/computer/cheap mic, but now i want to upgrade to a more stable/fixed studio, like rack mounted gear. have any of you guys and gals got any good advise/stories/lessons learned you could share? or any equipment reccomendations would be great too... im on about a 2,000 budget and already have a new macbook but all it has is the usb and firewire, and also will be attempting to build my own racks ...

im currently tracking vox and acoustic guitar basic tracks on tape 414 and will be upgrading that to a 15ips reel to reel and then throwing that in the computer for manipulation and laying the rythm tracks (hand percussion mostly) over that... so inputs outputs will be one or two tops.

Eq

One of the best things I've done was add a Rane PE15 parametric EQ to my rack. By doing this, I've given myself more control over the signal before it gets recorded. Sometimes there's too much sparkle on a certain mic, and having the EQ handy helps me to form the sound into what I want to hear... It may be useful to you. :)

I've slowly risen above the stock soundcard inputs as well but instead of going with only what I only needed (2-4) inputs, I went for overkill and haven't regretted the leap one bit. In for an penny, in for a pound, right? My logic is you can never have enough inputs. I consider the extra inputs as redundant "backups" if any pres go south.

I have been delighted with the Presonus firepods. They're one-space rack mountable. All input cables plug into the front for easy accessibility while hiding your "fixed" output connectors in the back. The Pres are absolutely great and they have been solid for the 1 year I've owned the unit. They are very flexible in what input connctor types they receive in the front. What I think is genius about their design are the neutrik connectors on the front accepts both XLR OR 1/4" (mono or stereo) in the same connector, which covers all my varying input needs in my hobby studio. However, for output monitoring options, the firepod covers intermediate signal output routing at best. If you only need to have external monitors and outputs to a headphone amp and PA, then this will suffice just fine. I had to buy a mackie 6-channel headphone mixer amp to consolidate the firpod's monitor out complexities. I had some bands come over to track live where they needed a "gourmet-style" individual heaphone mixes for 4-5 guys tracking at the same time. Still, the firepod filled the need while only requiring one external piece of equipment needed to accomplish this.
http://www.presonus.com/firepod.html

Presonus unleashed a new product recently called the FireStudio which is supposed to have even better preamps than the FirePods already clean pres. The Firestudio also touts a robust software input/output signal routing capability against it's Firepod predecessor, which is what I needed to address the gourmet heaphone mixes. $699 for 8 class-A preamps just can't be beat, IMO. They're a beautiful mix of quantity AND quality.
http://www.presonus.com/firestudio.html

Hindsight being 20/20, If I knew the firestudios were on the horizon, I would've passed on buying the 'Pods and just leapt into the Studio version.

For a one man show, all the above should suit any of your needs just fine unless you're wanting to track a whole band live....then go with the Firestudio if that's in your plans.

As far as rack-mounting, you can go the DIY route if you have that sort of time and woodworking skill but since I don't have either, I picked up a 20-sp. studio rack at GC for like $99.00. You get double the space in a "studio rack" as opposed to a similarly priced "mobile rack" cases and they just look so much more professional than any of my past DIY attempts.

I agree with Fritz, I had a Firepod and it was great! so I stepped up to the Firestudio and a Digimax FS. Damn good set-up for the money! Pre's are great, mass routing options and lots of other goodies. great buy I recommend it!

Back