Upgrade assistance please!

jhag

I'm kind of doing gear reflection so to speak to see where I can make the biggest improvent. Please, any thoughts on upgrades would be greatly appreciated! I record only vocals (right now) and really like a clean vocal track. Here's what I'm working with:

Mics: TLM-103, AT4030
Pre: A-Designs MP-2
A/D: Luicd 9624
Card: RME 9636
UAD Project pack + LA2A and Plate 140
Monitors: Behringer Truths
Room: Well treated with 2" and 4" fiberglass

What upgrade/addition will help me make the biggest difference in my vocals? Besides, experience and the right talent. I'm working on both but want to make sure I have great tools to work with.

probably monitors and D/A. Bass traps too, which you can never have enough of..

Truth Audio TA-1ps are a great option. Keep the behringer for reference. of course youll need a power amp, but that is easy.

jhag said:
I'm kind of doing gear reflection so to speak to see where I can make the biggest improvent. Please, any thoughts on upgrades would be greatly appreciated! I record only vocals (right now) and really like a clean vocal track. Here's what I'm working with:

Mics: TLM-103, AT4030
Pre: A-Designs MP-2
A/D: Luicd 9624
Card: RME 9636
UAD Project pack + LA2A and Plate 140
Monitors: Behringer Truths
Room: Well treated with 2" and 4" fiberglass

What upgrade/addition will help me make the biggest difference in my vocals? Besides, experience and the right talent. I'm working on both but want to make sure I have great tools to work with.

Well you have some Pretty Top notch equipment there so i don"t really think an "Upgrade" is really what you need.....

Maybe you should look at adding some Effects processors to your arsenal and/Or some Variety?? Maybe look at getting a Good Compressor which will really help make your tracks sit in the Mix really well and will add that Punch to the sound.....

And maybe getting a Variety of Mics and Preamps (Tube and SS, with Transformers and without , Clean and with color) so you have the Right tools for each recording situation as opposed to haveing to use the same tools and trying to make them fit what you are recording....

If you want a really clean and crisp Vocal recording you might not want to use a Tube pre like the A-Designs MP-2 as Tube pre"s are known to add 2nd and 3rd order harmonic distortions which is what gives Tube pre"s that warmth that they are known for which might not be what you want when trying to track Clean and detailed Vocals......

As for Mics You should really have a Variety of mics so you can pic the one that best suits the Voice you are recording as not all mics sound good with all voices so it is best to have a Variety......

I don"t know how helpfull this was but it might give you a Place to start....

Cheers

Thanks for the replies! You are right about the mp-2. Nice pre, but I was wondering about adding something more transparent (i.e. Hardy m-1). I was wondering, though, about the mic choice. Would I get more bang for the buck by adding a clean pre with my TLM-103 or going another route mic wise.

On the other hand, would I better my mixes with the addition of another set of monitors (i.e. ADAM A7 or BSM5A's).

Thanks again.

jhag said:
On the other hand, would I better my mixes with the addition of another set of monitors (i.e. ADAM A7 or BSM5A's).

I would seriously consider room treatment first. Then you can get any monitor in the world, and yet be guaranteed to have a close-to-honest sound.

well, youve done the room treatment thing- do some more if you want to burn some money.

and deff. monitors.

what are you recording? drums and stuff? or just acoustic guitar and vocals?

if i was upgrading, i would try MD421's on my toms, stepping up possibly from Sm57's (?)

i would get another preamp, and definitley a tube mic.

other than that, i like your setup.

studiomaster said:
I would seriously consider room treatment first. Then you can get any monitor in the world, and yet be guaranteed to have a close-to-honest sound.

well hell, ive got some great room treatment, I might as well sell my B+W 802s and TA-p1s and get some damn behringer monitors and a boom box. :rolleyes:

you are right on the room treatment kiddo, but some monitors just suck ass.

eh, not necessarily so. it is totally dependent on the design of the particular preamp...people make this mistake with tying in TOOB and "warmth" when that isnt always the case. my pendulum mdp-1s are not what I would call "warm" by any stretch. I use them on operatic and country vocals all the time...crisp and lovely!

and it is entirely possible to get a clean and crisp recording with a tube preamp...depending on the preamp of course.(and mic)

and another thing...there are hundreds of amazing recordings made from only the pres in the console..all one type. there are so many other things that affect the signal other than what little magic box it goes through. Mic placement(the most important), room treatment, etc all have a tremendous impact on the final product. He should get intimately familiar(i mean knowing how it is going to react in EVERY situation) with his gear, then reassess what he is lacking and add on.

It has been a tremendous help to me to own 22 channels of the same preamp. I dont ever want to mix and match again. Too many people dont give their gear an adequate enough workout before getting frustrated and trying a different piece.

Minion said:
Well you have some Pretty Top notch equipment there so i don"t really think an "Upgrade" is really what you need.....

Maybe you should look at adding some Effects processors to your arsenal and/Or some Variety?? Maybe look at getting a Good Compressor which will really help make your tracks sit in the Mix really well and will add that Punch to the sound.....

And maybe getting a Variety of Mics and Preamps (Tube and SS, with Transformers and without , Clean and with color) so you have the Right tools for each recording situation as opposed to haveing to use the same tools and trying to make them fit what you are recording....

If you want a really clean and crisp Vocal recording you might not want to use a Tube pre like the A-Designs MP-2 as Tube pre"s are known to add 2nd and 3rd order harmonic distortions which is what gives Tube pre"s that warmth that they are known for which might not be what you want when trying to track Clean and detailed Vocals......

As for Mics You should really have a Variety of mics so you can pic the one that best suits the Voice you are recording as not all mics sound good with all voices so it is best to have a Variety......

I don"t know how helpfull this was but it might give you a Place to start....

Cheers

BigRay said:
well hell, ive got some great room treatment, I might as well sell my B+W 802s and TA-p1s and get some damn behringer monitors and a boom box. :rolleyes:

you are right on the room treatment kiddo, but some monitors just suck ass.

the hell with the room treatment, just use ipod headphones.

just think- thousands of dollars saved with a free set of earpieces..

:rolleyes:

Well, I have never used a TLM-103, but they don't have a very good reputation from what I have heard. However, it is not a total dog either. I have a feeling it has more to do with the mixing end of things. The only thing I could suggest is to post some samples of your work, and give some examples of vocals you like, and maybe we all can help you get to where you are going.

Other than that, maybe go and audition some mics. Good ones. :D

Thanks for the replies. The vocals I'm recording are southern gospel. I know, not real dificult but I'm still looking for a fat, clean, up-front sound.

NL5: the following site has samples of similar types of music:
http://www.daywind.com/daywind01/st...rmat=ProductDetail01.html&-RecID=36792&-find#

We lease tracks and record vocals at my place. Right now, all I have is my one room, but is fairly well treated. Granted, I don't have 100% coverage, but I would say 75%. I too have heard about the tlm-103, so I am willing to go a different route. Thanks again. Oh, I'll try to post some clips of our last project recorded here.

Honestly, if you don't get better monitors, you don't deserve most of that equipment. Have to keep the signal chain's integrity complete from the mic to the monitors.

Sorry I can't reccommend any particular set, but a lot of these guys can help you out immensely.

LOL -Some of them already have! :p

monitor suggestions for ya;

i use Yamaha NS10M's, so do alot of other people (but keep the ones you have too!)
Mackie HR624's (ithink thats the number) are really popular,
Event makes some nice stuff.
JBL 4300 series look pretty sweet. (i'm thinking about getting these next.)

yea...i would totally upgrade monitors 1st thing in your situation

then maybe another pre? you said you want something transparent in character - maybe a grace 101?

jhag said:
Thanks for the replies. The vocals I'm recording are southern gospel. I know, not real dificult but I'm still looking for a fat, clean, up-front sound.

NL5: the following site has samples of similar types of music:
http://www.daywind.com/daywind01/st...rmat=ProductDetail01.html&-RecID=36792&-find#

We lease tracks and record vocals at my place. Right now, all I have is my one room, but is fairly well treated. Granted, I don't have 100% coverage, but I would say 75%. I too have heard about the tlm-103, so I am willing to go a different route. Thanks again. Oh, I'll try to post some clips of our last project recorded here.

Now, do you have samples of your tracks that you are unhappy with?

NL5 - I'm working on that. The only songs I've recorded lately are cover songs, which, most sites won't let you post.

jhag said:
NL5 - I'm working on that. The only songs I've recorded lately are cover songs, which, most sites won't let you post.

I sang southern gospel for many years before joining the Army(Low Bass of the group since age 12)..going to be going back to it in november when I get out.

for a good reference album...check out The Integrity Quartet--4 guys and a piano, and Gaither Vocal Band ===Acapella!

BigRay - glad to here you coming back to SG. GVB is one of my favorites. I have actually been trying to get a Greater Vision sound.

DEVIL! You have 666 posts! DEVIL DEVIL DEVIL! WITCH..BURRRRN 'ER!

Alright, sorry just had to do that.

I like you're equipment(main poster) I would say buy new things rather than upgrade:D

-ELliot

Back