Tube Replacement for ART PRO MPA

davidguevara80

Always Online
I just bought This Pre on the Bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...em=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&salenotsupported

Art Pro MPA With a Case for $169 Shipped (A good deal?) I am currently own a MOTU 828 MKII and the Following Pres:
-M-Audio Tampa
-Presonus Eureka
-Focusrite Trakmaster Pro With A/D Card (For Sale Tough)
-Focusrite Voicemaster Pro on the Way

A KSM 27.I am looking for a nice Tube Sound Without Spend much Money so after a little Research I Bought This ART.

I want to replace the Tubes, I will be Recording Keyboards (KORG X-50) And Probably Acoustic Guitars,Congas,Accordions Etc...

Which Replacement Tubes you guys recommend? Can I Replace them? Is it Hard to do it?

Thanks!

PM Bowie

Check with Bowie, he hooked me up with 1 telefunken and a mullard, great guy great tubes
Ryan

If it's the same Bowie that hangs at Gearslutz, then I can vouch for him as well. Most excellent guy and knows his stuff. Just let him know what you're tryin to achieve and he can hook ya up.
Good dude. ;)

If it's the same Bowie that hangs at Gearslutz, then I can vouch for him as well. Most excellent guy and knows his stuff. Just let him know what you're tryin to achieve and he can hook ya up.
Good dude. ;)

Thanks but i can't reach him.... I don't know why.It says: Invalid User.

Odd...:confused:

at gearslutz?

I just talked to him about a week ago on some tubes for my Valve Junior. If you'd like, I can drop him a line with your email address. Just shoot me a pm if you'd like. If you're not comfortable givin some weird guy named Dogbreath your email addy :p keep up the quest cuz he's a good guy. I didn't/don't know if he's registered here or not. If so cool.

Lemme know dude.

Kel

Well, fwiw, the Pro MPA is the precursor to the MPA Gold series. I don't think it's full plate voltage across the tube so I don't know what the difference would be swapping them. NOS Mullards or Telefunkens are the tubes of choice for the Gold series (I used to have an MPA Gold with Mullards) but I wouldn't spend a lot of money on new tubes for the pro MPA.

You seem to have made the decision to replace the tubes without even hearing the unit first. I suggest using it for a while with the tubes it has in it. And only after that think about which tubes to use, once you have learned the tone of the unit.

The nice thing about tubes is that you can customize the tone of your preamp. But without knowing what it sounds like first there seems little point in spending time or money on finding replacement tubes.

You seem to have made the decision to replace the tubes without even hearing the unit first. I suggest using it for a while with the tubes it has in it. And only after that think about which tubes to use, once you have learned the tone of the unit.

The nice thing about tubes is that you can customize the tone of your preamp. But without knowing what it sounds like first there seems little point in spending time or money on finding replacement tubes.

You are Right SonicAlbert.

I'll receive the Unite Today and i will record a few Tracks with it.The Point of my Thread is learn how to replace it and listen some opinions about Different Tubes.

Thanks for the Help

I do think that tubes make a difference in the sound of the ART PRO series gear. Whether they are low voltage or not. Swapping tubes will not make as big a difference as in high voltage gear, but they will make a difference.

At least that was my experience with the ART PRO VLA units that I owned. I owned one USA made VLA and one Chinese VLA. In the USA model I wanted tubes to smooth out the tone a bit, and in the Chinese model I wanted tubes to give it a bit more color.

So I'm sure after you've recorded some tracks you'll either want more color or want to clean it up a bit.

I like JJ's for most everything these days. The JJ ECC83 would be a nice choice for the MPA.

thetubestore_2063_66143395.gif

http://thetubestore.com/tesla12ax7.html

If this was a real tube preamp running at real plate voltages and you wanted it for real studio work, I'd say go with a Blackburn Mullard or Amperex "Globe" (same tube, essentially) if you could find a deal. New tube, a selected Sovtek 12AX7LPS, hands down. Because they're longplate, they're not suitable for everything, but they're great for "HiFi" stationary applications like studio preamps.

072-425_s.jpg

If this was a real tube preamp running at real plate voltages and you wanted it for real studio work, I'd say go with a Blackburn Mullard or Amperex "Globe" (same tube, essentially) if you could find a deal. New tube, a selected Sovtek 12AX7LPS, hands down. Because they're longplate, they're not suitable for everything, but they're great for "HiFi" stationary applications like studio preamps.

072-425_s.jpg

i use the lps in my tube amp. Great for the money.

check out these reviews: http://www.tubedepot.com/12ax7reviews.html

+1 on the JJ's....pretty cheap for what you get, easy to find, and are very smooth sounding. Break up great when pushed.

I think Sovteks are brittle sounding IMO

Just emailed the company to ask them to explain. Good publicity if they work out genuine but I doubt they will.

Will post reply when I hear.

The cheapest way Ive ever picked up tubes are from old equipment...I bought an old amp at the swap meet that had 6 mullard tubes in it for $5

The reply from Tube Amp Doctor

'Dear Nathan,these are from the German Army. They are NOS made in East Germany.Please have a closer look at the anodes. With Best Regards Stephan Mayer '

Does this mean they are very different to West German NOS Telefunken
s?

Anybody got any experience with these? They are pretty cheap if they are similar.

Tube replacement

I bought a few of these tubes, and rapidly replaced the stock tube where I heard little difference. With the JJ's, I noticed an immediate difference in sound, the presets for vocals were warm and natural even with a CHEAP mic. I didnt audition my tube mic because of how well my spare omni directional mic sounded. The tube warmed up very quickly and the sound was very natural, clean and warm. I am looking for a even warmer sound, but for now the JJ's will do very nicely, and for three vaccum tubes at $35 + shipping, they are a steal!

I like JJ's for most everything these days. The JJ ECC83 would be a nice choice for the MPA.

thetubestore_2063_66143395.gif

http://thetubestore.com/tesla12ax7.html

Back