For those of you who rail incessantly on Behringer...

sloom said:
But it's been around since the beginning of my life! I can't have pretensions about what I don't really know as my own history, like an era of early symphonic orchestral music... so I have to have them about what's relevant to me. That's rock and roll, baby (and you can throw straight-ahead and first-generation fusion jazz in that number, too).
So let's not go screwing around with my Precious, okay? :D

Humanity is not even a pimple on the arse of geographical history at all yet- and it just might never make it to be! So there.
Good point! :D

Nik

I can only speak form 10 years of experience and dealing with more than 1000 bands and riders. First things listed, no Behringer. I can also speak from experience having worked with some escellent producers/engineers such as Ulrych Wylde, Don Was, Narada Michael Walden, Wayne Kramer etc... Once again, no love for Behringer.

As far as Blues Traveler goes, I have worked with them on several occasions. NO BEHRINGER WHATSOEVER in their racks. Unless of course he used them on the Leslie for John Poppers harmonica's which by the way do not get put in either the mains or the monitors, but don't tell John that;) The Blues Traveler guys love alot of the cool vintage stuff. Last time I worked with them they were hauling around an awesome old Gamble console, AMS reverbs, and DBX 900 racks. But no behringer.

You also need to learn about endorsements and stop confusing that with reviews. There are many endorsee's that really do not care for the products and only use them if they have to. I have even seen engineers mult to units so they light up, but don't actually return to the mix just so they don't get in trouble. As far as Tony Visconti goes, if he can not tell the difference between a Behringer comp and a Chandler TG1, he is high. I still can not believe that because a small handful of people have been on record with certain comments you would think that EVERY one else is wrong. Maybe you should quit just reading Behringer adds and cheap magazines and start experiencing the real world a little. It is also important to consider that magazines typically do not print reviews where a reviewer shreds equipment to peices from a high dollar advertiser. It seems to me like you still have a lot to learn about the real world. As far as I am concerned, keep using your Behringer gear and swearing by it. I am glad. It will keep one more real competitor out of the industry.

Not only that, but you really should do a little research and find out what exactly the Behringer stuff was used on. Headphone mix compressors don't really count though so there goes half of the credits:(

Where did I mention endorsers? Ummm, nowhere! I have no idea who endorses what and don't care. Excuse me for using common sense, but I'll take Tony's words over yours, he's more successfull than you'll ever be, has forgotten more than you'll ever know, Oh!, and to top it all off, his recordings have sold multi millions! thank you very much. What you're doing is playing spin games. You have nothing of merit to add, youv'e been outboxed and you are down for the count. I listed several industry pros who use Behringer gear, none of whom endorse them, including your buddy Bo, oh and, yes, the signal goes to the monitors see and still you just don't get it. To further prove my point I'll put a recent recording, done using some Behringer gear, I did for a local songwriter up against anything you've got and I'll bet it's better produced, better recorded and more professional. You up for it, kid?

xstatic said:
Not only that, but you really should do a little research and find out what exactly the Behringer stuff was used on. Headphone mix compressors don't really count though so there goes half of the credits:(

None of the pros I listed used the headphone amp as far as I know, BUT, it wouldn't matter if they did, it would only further prove my point that real honest to goodnes pros, making real albums find it good enough to use. These people are at the top of the food chain, these are major label artists, producers and engineers who can afford any piece of studio gear they want. Why would they chose a Behringer? You don't like Behringer, fine, but don't sit there and pretend you know something these people don't, it only makes you look stupid.

EDAN said:
see and still you just don't get it. To further prove my point I'll put a recent recording, done using some Behringer gear, I did for a local songwriter up against anything you've got and I'll bet it's better produced, better recorded and more professional. You up for it, kid?

EDAN, I don't know why you press every point to absurdity. I have no opinion of Behringer, but you haven't outboxed xstatic. I have heard your tune, it is good, but I have also heard xstatic's mixes, and he is a total pro. Therefore this "fight" is a nonentity before it begins.

I haven't seen thousands of riders, but I've seen a few that pick on my poor Peavey wedges. Do I lose sleep at night? No, not really. So use Behri happily, and let's all move on.

slightly off topic but if i went to this guy for mixing/mastering and not recording. the Behringer factor wouldnt affect me right? after seeing those prices i thought it'd be a good idea for the next few compilations as im still uppin my sound quality and not quite where i want to be yet.

nope - all his editing/mixing/mastering is done digitally

like xstatic said, it would matter if he used analog processes in his mixes, but i have no knowledge of him doing so

mshilarious said:
EDAN, I don't know why you press every point to absurdity. I have no opinion of Behringer, but you haven't outboxed xstatic. I have heard your tune, it is good, but I have also heard xstatic's mixes, and he is a total pro. Therefore this "fight" is a nonentity before it begins.

I haven't seen thousands of riders, but I've seen a few that pick on my poor Peavey wedges. Do I lose sleep at night? No, not really. So use Behri happily, and let's all move on.

This thread IS about Behringer gear! I'm not sure what you mean about pressing every point to absurdity. I listed professionals who use their gear, anyone with half a brain should come to the conclusion that their gear .. or some of it .. is of professional quality, up to the task, otherwise there is no reason these pros would bother. As far as my tune, thanks. I'll still put it up against his, I feel many of my recordings done with semi cheap gear stand up or sound better than many of the "pros" out here who use high end stuff and know a lot more than me. Hey, this is a recording site, we're sticking to recording talk, it's all good, no need to move on.

I will tell you this Edan, the day that I ran monitors for Blues Traveler, there was NO Behringer gear present, and the leslie di not go to the monitors. It would have been impossible that day since the mic cables ran underneath the drum riser and never got plugged in (by their crew's instruction).

I never said to not respect Tony either. But what you are doing here is taking the possibly misconstrued words of a few professionals and holding up against the general consencus of wuite possibly 95 or more percent of the working professionals in the industry.

But hey, have fun with your Behringer gear. I really do not have a big gripe with Behringer. It is what it is. Cheap poorly built equipment that will get you by until you can afford something of quality. What I do have a problem with is the people that want to get cocky about it and pretend it is the shit.

An important point that gets overlooked in discussions like this is that these people do not use *only* Behringer gear. They've probably got killer signal chains and processing to use. The Behringer gear would be like cheapy little toys that get used in special situations. Big difference.

There are plenty of people that keep old Alesis gear around too, and other low cost gear as well. It might do one thing particularly well, or have a sound that is just right for specific purposes. But that is misleading to imply that therefore there is no difference between Behringer and high end gear.

When Tony Visconti says something like what is quoted above (if indeed that is what he said) I don't think he necessarily knows to what extremes his quote will be taken to. I don't take that as an overall endorsement of Behringer or cheap gear in general. He uses expensive gear and cheap gear, and is basically saying they all have their uses. But the way I take it, what he said cannot be taken as a blanket endorsement of cheap gear.

As someone who has toured, I can say that I don't like it when I go into a venue and see Behringer gear in the rack. It just says to me that the house is cheap. The best sounding live gig I played had top end gear, from the DI's and monitors to the board and to the outboard. It sounded incredible, the difference was plainly obvious.

This whole argument about Behringer and low cost gear is in part because people that get defensive about not having high end gear. It's like the "my dick is bigger than your dick" thing. They don't have the big swinging dick gear, so then they say that the cheapo stuff is the same thing, so they don't feel insecure. Silly.

I'm fully expecting some negative REP for that last paragraph.

I will say that I own a couple pieces of Behringer gear, and recently ordered yet another unit that Behringer makes. But the difference is I don't kid myself about it, I buy it because it is cheap, serves a function, and I use it in non-critical situations.

xstatic said:
I will tell you this Edan, the day that I ran monitors for Blues Traveler, there was NO Behringer gear present, and the leslie di not go to the monitors. It would have been impossible that day since the mic cables ran underneath the drum riser and never got plugged in (by their crew's instruction).

You read the interview, Bo's words not mine.

xstatic said:
I never said to not respect Tony either.

You said: "As far as Tony Visconti goes, if he can not tell the difference between a Behringer comp and a Chandler TG1, he is high" .. which is the same thing.

xstatic said:
But what you are doing here is taking the possibly misconstrued words of a few professionals and holding up against the general consencus of wuite possibly 95 or more percent of the working professionals in the industry.

Nonsense, All I did is point out A-list pros who use Behringer. I do this in hopes some of the impressionable newbies don't fall for the high-end hype.

xstatic said:
But hey, have fun with your Behringer gear. I really do not have a big gripe with Behringer. It is what it is. Cheap poorly built equipment that will get you by until you can afford something of quality. What I do have a problem with is the people that want to get cocky about it and pretend it is the shit.

No piece of gear is the shit. Like Tony said, it's not the gear it's the person using it. I only have a few pieces of Behringer gear, the oldest piece being about eight years. I've had not a single problem with any of it. See, maybe it's that myself and Tony know how to take care of gear on top of knowing how to use it. Behringer is not the problem .. we get great results.

Yeah, and I am sure Tony's results are all due to Behringer gear. Also, I did not say to not respect Tony. But I don't have to respect that statement of his. I also don't think noone should ever own or use Behringer gear. If however you want to pretend its as good as a Neve or an API, feel free. You won't win my respect that way. If you think a composer sounds and acts like a Distressor, then you really do have unresolvable issues. If you think this is some personal battle, I am sorry. It really isn't. But to pretend that there is ne reason to consider high end gear because the Behringer line is that good is just plain ol nuts.

Some of the Behringer stuff works allright.

I used a euro mixer for a little while, and it served its purpose, it dident break, I also had a dynamic mic.

When I first got my hands on a sm58, I never used the berrie again.
Why because the shure was better, but the berrie still works this day, and for its price it was a good product.
Same goes with the mixer, after I got my firepod its collecting dust, I once tried using it again recording vox, and it sucked.

Now on the Behring Guitar Pedals, I can only say one thin and one thing only "they Suck Ass" :D :D :D that was three words I lie just like behring when they claim that theire pedals work.

You`d be better off eating glass then using these boxes.
I hate them, and I get to see them every day. :mad:

One day I will fool someone into buying them :D

I'll admit, with somewhat guilty conscience, to using Behringer products from time to time, although more in the context of Chessrock's "disposable equipment" description. Sometimes you need to get something cheap and fast - so it is kind of the equivalent of going to Taco Bell. And like Taco Bell, you usually regret it later.

But there are some real issues: Do the math on the 24 channel 8-buss (with full meter bridge) Eurodesk that you can buy online for $900 new, and the cold hard facts are they are building mixers that cost about $20 per channel (for mic pre, EQ, faders, pots, pads, LED's, circuitry, connectors, etc.)

So something has to give somewhere - much as I wish it were true, you just can't build a channel strip that has good sonics, durability, and consistency from channel to channel for $20.

Beyond that, there is the ethics issue. Time after time Behringer has blatantly and directly ripped off other companies' designs, often without even changing the font on the silk screening!!! Check out the Ebtech Swizz Army Cable Tester against the Behringer product. They are EXACTLY the same, except that the original Ebtech is blue, and the Behringer is silver. Most small companies can't afford to pursue Behringer through the legal system, and Behringer counts on that.

So yeah, people do use the stuff. Sometimes even famous people.

Doesn't make it a good idea though.

Even the US Government hate Behringer!

Behringer was recently fined by the FCC.

One Miiilion dollars. (Dr. Evil voice) :eek:

They were fined for supposedly marketing almost 50 models of unauthorized radio frequency devices. Mostly Class B audio music devices such as mic pres, mixing consoles, and dynamic processors.

They've been bugging the hell out of Behringer for years about digital devices and their lack of verified compliance with FCC technical standards.

I know that I personally love a lot of RFI in my signal chain. That's why I love Behringer gear! :D :D :rolleyes:

i own nothing but behringer stuff, actually. behringer mixer, behringer audio interface, behringer bass cab and bass head. no mics, but it does the trick and i like it :)

Back