Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tc helicon voiceworks

keneds is offline New Member
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Thanks Tim, Very well done. I'm hoping to pick one up tomorrow. Thanks for your time, Happy New year!

Thanks
    Connection question, The Voiceworks rack has both 1/4" input / output jacks and also a SPDIF connection. I currently have it hooked up via 1/4" patch cables and it works......Would a SPDIF connection be better?

Phrasemaker is offline Dedicated Member
    Thanks
    The SPDIF connections are digital signal output, if you have the option to feed it to a piece of equipment with a matching digital inputs, it's the way to go, if not then use the two analogue outputs. They are not cross compatible, it's a signal like you'd get out of a guitar or mic if using the jacks, it's a binary code using the SPDIF RCA's which has to go through digital to analogue converter to be turned into a signal which is then amplified to drive a speaker or is recorded as digital on some digital equipment. It's then converted back to analogue so you can listen to it. I think most tc helicon stuff runs 24 bit, so you need to be sure it'll be compatible.

Happy new year to you

Tim
    Lyrical Pursuits
    www.phrasemaker.co.uk

Thanks
    I currently have it hooked up with mono 1/4" patch cables....The inputs are balanced. Does that mean I need to use TRS plugs? I'm getting a bit of a hum through the headphones when the unit is on.

Thanks
    You probably need to unplug the mic from the unit, check what is coming out of the unit to where you have your phones plugged in. If that's clean of noise, re connect you mic and see how it sounds then. Also try various presets and the bypass on the unit to see if the hum alters, turn it off and check for hum with just the dead unit connected. Check the mic settings on the helicon, in the set up menu, as there is attenuation there for various mic output levels. Some of the heavy duty effects will apply those effects to room noise as well as vocals. It does take a while to get everything balanced to get optimal performance, it can be frustrating. It's a new piece of kit which you are finding your way around, like a lot of this kind of gear it requires faith and patience to get the best out of it. I suggest you use a dynamic mic to start with as condenser mics tend to be rather lively, also make sure the phantom is off unless required by a condenser mic. I have mine connected with two short 1/4 guitar leads to my mixer, no hum issues.

I may be having a few sherbets as the evening progresses, and may have to get back to this thread tomorrow if you require further suggestions. All the best.

Tim
    Lyrical Pursuits
    www.phrasemaker.co.uk

arcaxis is offline Why 2K?
    Thanks
    Like Phrasemaker I've used basic 1/4" TS type patch cords to connect my Voicelive to mixers or a DAW. I don't recall having any issues of hum.
    What do you presently have connected to the the Voiceworks inputs and outputs? It may be possible there is a ground loop being created somewhere in the connections that may introduce hum.

Thanks
    I have my condensor mic plugged into the back of the voiceworks module, I have the left and right "Balanced" outputs on the voiceworks patched with 1/4" unbalanced cables into the "Balanced" inputs on my interface. ( I really think this is why im getting a slight hum) I will be picking up some new 1/4" TRS patch cables and report back on the issue in a day or so. Happy New Year to all.

Thanks
    I ended up taking the s/pdif connection route. It works fine and I lost the hum noise I had, my next mission is to figure out how to do an aux. send into the unit to add an effect to a dry track. The routing of this is where I get lost. Using Sonar X2

mofat is offline Senior Member
    Thanks
    On the voicework...which preset do u think is best for everyday singing? Most of them are too boyish messing around sounding...

Thanks
    The presets represent a snapshot of what can be done with the voiceworks. Personally I find a tone which is somewhere near suitable and then edit the many adjustments available to tailor it to get exactly what I want. You can alter many aspects of a preset to create your own stored presets which can then be called upon for future recordings.

Tim
    Lyrical Pursuits
    www.phrasemaker.co.uk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information