Seeking Help Please, Am i on the right path?!

luke89

Hello everybody I came here to talk to someone, anyone who can just take a look at what im doing and help guide me or feed me some tips. Unfortuantly i dont know anybody in my town who knows as much about recording as i do so i buy everything based on user reviews. I have a decent idea of wat im doing but who knwos maybe im goign about this wrong and wasting money, any help is greatly appreciated! Please take a look at my semi rack set up and tell me what im missing.

First of all i record using my computer and cooledit pro running everything into an M-Audio Mobile Pre (100$ version, 2 channels). I run my microphone, a decent 75$ condenser mic. into a Pre Sonus Blue Bube pre amp (200$) which i put a custom tube into. I then run that through a BBE Sonic Maximizer (the 362) and into my M-Audio and wallah! im recording shit.

Ive been recording for 4 years and have tried directly recoridng with Line 6 Pods and the like but IM DONE with that, i wanna mic record.

Alright so im looking to maximize my sound and get that full guitar sound for metal, soft music, and whatever. Im still not there yet. Im looking into buying an RNC Compressor to take down some of the noise coming out of the pre amp, which i just heard about on this site (the 175$ ) one. I also will be recoridng drums bass and vocals so i know that will help. So far what do you guys think i need to do to maximize my sound, how about a new condenser mic, maybe somehting in the 200$ range. BUT HOW do i get my recordings to be better. What else should i add to this semi rack i have? Also, is the Mobile Pre limiting my recording capabilities.

I buy equipment when i get my paychecks and i want to save for something neccessary that will give me wat i need. Also, what else can help my guitar tone.

I know this is a broad question but how do you guys think im doing because ive never got advice before, what do i need, do i need to get rid of anything, THANKS ALOT for any assistance-luke :)

If you want to maximize your sound get rid of the sonic maximizer. I personally don't think it has a place in most recording scenarios.

Post what some samples of the recorded sounds you are getting and it will be easier for everyone to help...

luke89 said:
im recording shit.
It's not surprising with that recording chain :D

Hey... you said it...

Serously: Specific recommendation really do require some idea of what you're recording and what you're most unhappy with... But looking at the list, this would be a good order of priority
  1. Lose the Maximizer
  2. Upgrade Microphone
  3. New Compressor
  4. Upgrade preamp

Or if you want to move some processing into the box
  1. Burn the Maximizer
  2. Upgrade Microphone
  3. Upgrade preamp

Oh... and welcome aboard...

What do you mean by moving some processing into the box?

AAthankyou for the replies. Alright i'm trying to take everything you guys said into consideration. As far as the sonic maximizer goes it greatly enhances what i'm playing, ESPECIALLY on clean tone. It really makes my highs sparkle and without it everything actually sounds dull. I'm suprised you both said that, the BBE gets amazing ratings everywhere and everyone seems to love it..If its hurting my sound ill get rid of it but for now i cant see why i should let it go.

I think i'm going to be stuck with the RNC Compressor and the pre amp i have for money reasons for now, unless its absolutely vital. Is there anything else i could do or specific products i could take a look at.

P.S Id be more than happy to post some recording samples so you can compare and contrast and see wat the sonic maximizer actually does to my sound. But how da fack do i post sound samples

luke89 said:
Im looking into buying an RNC Compressor to take down some of the noise coming out of the pre amp, which i just heard about on this site (the 175$ ) one. I also will be recoridng drums bass and vocals so i know that will help.

While I think the RNC is a good piece of gear for the budding home recordist, it is not going to reduce noise from your preamp. If anything, it will increase it.

I agree about ditching the sonic maximizer.

For miking, I would get a Shure SM57 and CAD M179. Both are solid utility mics and will last you a long time.

I need somethin in my rack to reduce the fucking noise though. Whats with all the hate on the BBE geez

luke89 said:
I need somethin in my rack to reduce the fucking noise though. Whats with all the hate on the BBE geez

IMO, you'd be better off cutting noise after recording (via a software noise gate/expander or just manually silencing parts). Putting a noise gate or suppressor in the recording chain might alter tone in an unfavorable way and/or cut off decaying notes while tracking that you won't be able to fix.

The sonic crapifier is unpopular because it serves an unecessary purpose (adding high-frequency harshness, and noise), and does so very poorly. But, if you like it, use it. ;)

It isn't hate. It just doesn't have a place in the recording stage. Losing the BBE and learning to properly set up your gain stages will help you immensely with the noise floor of your recordings.

It's just a guess but I think you may have your preamp cranked a little too high if noise is the issue. Either that or the room you're recording in isn't quiet enough to begin with.

Will

Well ill think about getting my 100$ back for something more useable..but i'm a stubborn bastard so who knows.

Well, you asked our opinions, and we gave it to you. Lose the maximizer. Ask questions around here and get a simple, CLEAN signal chain, and you won't have a need to heavily muck up your signal with cheap crappy processing.

luke89 said:
What do you mean by moving some processing into the box?
Mixing in the Box (in the computer)

And I just crapped all over an Alesis 3630 in another thread (disgusting...) I own one, that I bought about the same time I was talked into a Sonic Maximizer because I wasn't happy about the sound of my vocals through an SM-57 into a 3630, tracked on a Tascam 424 Cassette (Back in the '80). I still have the Maximizer, it's sitting right under the Alesis in my home stereo rack... doing just what it's designed to do. Hype the the highs and lows for the smiley face EQ response

luke89 said:
Hello everybody I came here to talk to someone, anyone who can just take a look at what im doing and help guide me or feed me some tips. Unfortuantly i dont know anybody in my town who knows as much about recording as i do so i buy everything based on user reviews. I have a decent idea of wat im doing but who knwos maybe im goign about this wrong and wasting money, any help is greatly appreciated! Please take a look at my semi rack set up and tell me what im missing.

First of all i record using my computer and cooledit pro running everything into an M-Audio Mobile Pre (100$ version, 2 channels). I run my microphone, a decent 75$ condenser mic. into a Pre Sonus Blue Bube pre amp (200$) which i put a custom tube into. I then run that through a BBE Sonic Maximizer (the 362) and into my M-Audio and wallah! im recording shit.

Ive been recording for 4 years and have tried directly recoridng with Line 6 Pods and the like but IM DONE with that, i wanna mic record.

Alright so im looking to maximize my sound and get that full guitar sound for metal, soft music, and whatever. Im still not there yet. Im looking into buying an RNC Compressor to take down some of the noise coming out of the pre amp, which i just heard about on this site (the 175$ ) one. I also will be recoridng drums bass and vocals so i know that will help. So far what do you guys think i need to do to maximize my sound, how about a new condenser mic, maybe somehting in the 200$ range. BUT HOW do i get my recordings to be better. What else should i add to this semi rack i have? Also, is the Mobile Pre limiting my recording capabilities.

I buy equipment when i get my paychecks and i want to save for something neccessary that will give me wat i need. Also, what else can help my guitar tone.

I know this is a broad question but how do you guys think im doing because ive never got advice before, what do i need, do i need to get rid of anything, THANKS ALOT for any assistance-luke :)

Turn off all recording equipment. Set up your guitar sound and play. What do you hear? do you like it? If not, stop there and fix it. The mic can only get what your amp is putting out. If you like it, put a mic where you like the sound and record a sample. Get everything out of the chain except the mic, pre-amp, and recorder. Do you like the sound recorded? If not, fix it. Place the mic differently and repeat until you like it (and remember to properly gain stage your pre-amp and recorder for low noise..hinthint...).

Fix problems starting from the source (guitar amp. vocal. etc.) and work your way in.

luke89 said:

You know what I'm going to say, don't you? :D Lose the Maximizer. Nothing good can ever come of it.

Also, if you're interested in improving your sound quality, you might look at a different mic pre. Although I don't think it's completely impossible to get a good-sounding track with one of the Blue Tube thingies ... it's just one more obstacle. There are much better options out there these days, even at that budget.

That's a great start. I commend you for that.

First off, if you're trying to get the best possible metal guitar sound, I wouldn't be looking at a condenser at all. My advice would be to get a good dynamic -- or at least an SM-57. From there, it's really very easy. Grab your mic, and press it up against the speaker of your guitar amp. A good place to start would be just slightly to the right or left of the very center; possibly angled towards the cone.

And that's pretty much it. If you don't like what you hear, then you need to adjust your guitar amp until you get the right sound. Experiment like crazy. Track loud, track soft, track with the gain cranked up, down, etc. Twist every knob on that thing every which way and try every pickup on your guitar.

If after all of that, you still aren't happy with your sound, then it's quite possible that you need to make a trip to the music store and get yourself a new amp. Your equipment will only record whatever you put in front of it. Anything else from there is going to have a minor effect on the sound at best.

If you have money to spend, and you want to purchase something that will have the greatest possible effect on the quality of your recorded guitar tone ... then the single most effective way to spend that money is on your amplifier and guitar. Finding "your tone" is essential. The right tone will sound good even on a cheaper setup than the one you're currently using (no offense). The single most common error made when recording electric guitar ... is mistaking a poor amp tone for poor signal chain or recording technique.

And the reason for this is because it takes a looong time to learn what a good tone is, and to be able to hear, identify, and distinguish the difference between a tone that sounds good in the room ... and a guitar tone that is going to sound good when tracked. And right now, this is your problem. Anyone who owns a BBE Sonic Max has a 99% chance of suffering from this problem. And the longer you use it, the more you are prolonging your quest towards learning what a good guitar tone truly is. You've already taken the first step by ditching the amp modeler, so I'm not about to say that all hope is lost. :D You're at least partially on the right track, and you're getting good advice.

Back