RNP vs. DMP3

Moreguitars said:
Great to see you here. You were always a great help over on Harmony Central Recording Forum, and I look forward to your future posts!

Hey, thanks. I've got some free time on my hands these days with Christmas and all. So, here I am for better or worse. :)

jslator said:
More like double the scratch, actually. Unless something has changed very recently, Alan has said that he is targeting $800 to $1,000 for the VTB-2.

Hmmm... You could get 4 channels of Sytek for almost that kind of money. I know what I'd be buying!;)

OK I'm way way late on this thread but for what it's worth I could clearly hear the differences everyone was talking about ... In my opinion the DMP3 sounds "woolly" compared to the RNP... I know what's on my shopping list.

Thanks heaps participant for doing this.

Just my 2 cents .... let the rambling recommence ;)

As for the comparison? Well the acoustic guitar sounded like it has a laminated top with fairly nuff strings. It don't ring at all and there are almost zero overtones. So the source doesn't make for a real good comparison. From what I've read on this thread I assume the second track is the RNP? I couldn't see on the website where it mentioned which was which.

The second track was also louder than the first.

Probably the only way to make a fair comparison is to split the mic output and feed it into the seperate pre's and then normalise both tracks equally. Of course imedance issues can crop up with this technique.

Still food for thought!

darrin_h2000 said:
you are thinking about the toft pre.

No, I'm not. Here's a quote from a post of Alan's on Harmony Central on December 22, 2002:

We feel we...offerend a ton of usable features with the insert for a very low price on the VTB-1.

The VTB-2 is totally different. Class A, 300V tube...with a blend, and other features that I can't reveal just yet, but I will as soon as we progress on it a bit more. It will have meters and every digital output including a work clock. So we need a few more months on this, but the target is $799.99 to $999.99 for two channels.

If you have newer information, by all means let us know.

chessrock said:
I must apologize, as I should probably stay away from the BBS after a night of holiday boozing, as I tend to get this uncontrollable urge to be obnoxious and subsequently stir shit up.

so, what's your excuse the rest of the year? :p

Alans Posting $599 at recording.org and you can usually see him taking 20% off of that. So I still see them at $450. And that is a new post.

darrin_h2000 said:

Right, in that post he says that it will likely street at $599. Street means the price that it will actually sell for from a dealer, not the list price. The list price will be higher than that. He's not going to say that it will street for $600 if the list will be $600. That would make no sense and might turn off potential buyers.

Here's the post from Harmony Central where he discusses the price (what I assume is the list price) being between $800 and $1,000:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=194876

Back