RNC to a balanced patchbay?

bigwillz24

Okay i read the manual for the rnc after many hours of trying to make the thing work with my patchbay and came up with this.

NOTE —
Hooking up the RNC to balanced lines with TRS 1/4'' plugs will not work! If
the equipment you are connecting the RNC to is balanced, you must first unbalance it and only connect into the RNC with TS 1/4'' plugs.

Okay so how do you unbalance a patchbay? :confused:

Note: At least they put balanced out on the RNLA it works the pachbay no problem.

If I understand your Question correctly you should be able to Push the TRS Plugs in Half way (First Click) then it should be an Unballanced signal......

You can also just use Unballanced Cables to have an Unballanced signal.....

Hope this Helps....

Cheers

from what i know...which might be wrong....

any balanced connection becomes unbalanced as soon as any unbalanced anything becomes part of the signal chain...IE if you have a balanced cable that the wiring has gone wrong on...it's now unbalanced

Just use a regular TS cable to unbalance it.

The problem is that the Input on the RNC is setup the same way as an insert with the send and receive on the same TRS plug. You can use a balanced patchbay and cable but you will have the send and receive on the same 1/4 connection.

Ok..Easy.

I have 288 point tt patchbay that is balanced. I also have 2 RNC units.
They are hooked up and work well with othe units..I use Distressors, 160VU, Chandler gear etc.. They all play nice together.

Here is what you do. Very easy..

Wire your patchbay connections normal. hot,cold,ground (pin2,3,1).
Now on the end of the cable going to the RNC use TS connectors not TRS.
Wire pin 2 hot then wire your ground and cold wire together. That's it. Works perfect.

If you have a patchbay that doesn't solder to the back..Another words if it's the kind you plug cables into. Then I'd say...samething goes. The plug going to the back of the bay would be TRS wired normal but the other end going into the RNC would be TS wired hot and ground/cold together.

faderjockey said:
Ok..Easy.

I have 288 point tt patchbay that is balanced. I also have 2 RNC units.
They are hooked up and work well with othe units..I use Distressors, 160VU, Chandler gear etc.. They all play nice together.

Here is what you do. Very easy..

Wire your patchbay connections normal. hot,cold,ground (pin2,3,1).
Now on the end of the cable going to the RNC use TS connectors not TRS.
Wire pin 2 hot then wire your ground and cold wire together. That's it. Works perfect.

If you have a patchbay that doesn't solder to the back..Another words if it's the kind you plug cables into. Then I'd say...samething goes. The plug going to the back of the bay would be TRS wired normal but the other end going into the RNC would be TS wired hot and ground/cold together.

Thanks this worked perfectly... :) Now all I gotta do is figure out why the outputs of my 1820m are so low. :mad:

Awesome..

Does the Emu have some sort of software output switch.. like +4/-10 internal.
Maybe something is set funny in the software..I don't know that unit.

faderjockey said:
Awesome..

Does the Emu have some sort of software output switch.. like +4/-10 internal.
Maybe something is set funny in the software..I don't know that unit.

Yep already switched it more than once. :o :(

Back