rack pre amp

ADA8000 from Berry. Not decent, but it has 8 pres and is at that price point. Save your bucks for a little longer and get something better.

LMFOQA!!~#!#

25 bucks per channel?

run the mic through your cock and youll get equal results.

I'd call it decent, for someone who is just starting out.

Save your money for a Focusrite or Presonus if you can, but if you can't wait the Behringer is workable. As soon as you move to something better you'll realize what you've been missing though...

It all depends on what decent is to someone.

You woudl be better off getting a small 8 channel Mackie board.

bubbagump said:
ADA8000 from Berry. Not decent, but it has 8 pres and is at that price point. Save your bucks for a little longer and get something better.

have you ever used it? i have one.. its decent, or better.

yep im standing up for them because they make decent stuff...

if you guys can get over the name behringer being on, maybe you would realize its not all that bad...

i mean that with love guys :cool:

I had one for a few weeks. My Mackie VLZ 1604 sounded better and cost about the same used. There is nothing in a rack mount I would recommend in that price range. I personally think a mixer would be a better choice as the pres you get from Mackie, Yamaha, Spirit, etc are better than Berry. Not to start a pissing match, but the Berry's just don't have much head room and I don't like smushed transients on my drums. HOWEVER, if he also needs the lightpipe out, Berry is the only option at that price point. I'd still save my money a while longer.

As for the religion for or against Berry, meh, who cares? Their cable tester is the bomb, their other stuff is a mixed bag. To me it isn't the name but the performance (or lack there of).

The issue with the Behringer is that you are not only paying for cheap preamps, you are also paying for cheap converters. So there's even less money into the preamps than a unit without the converters.

You may be able to find a used Yamaha MLA7 for that price. It's a relatively unknown piece, not a glamor item so it doesn't get talked about very much, but it does sound good. It's a solid pro piece of gear.

ive never seen that piece before, or heard anything of it. i guess, there was no point in this here post then :)

In that price range you aren't really going to find any difference between them. They are all about the same quality, which isn't much. I would either...

1. Save up until you can get one that can grow with you a little.....

or

2. Go ahead and just pull the trigger on whichever one your gut tells you to. In the end, you can't lose by picking any one in that price range over another. The only loss would be the $200 you just spent.

There's a Yamaha MLA7 for auction on eBay right now. It's currently at $99 and has six hours to go. In the past month an MLA7 sold for $150.

This is more than a decent 8 channel preamp for under $200, it's a pro piece of gear. I used to own one, and if it were me I'd go for this over anything like the Behringer ADA8000 or that SM Audio unit you linked to. Just my opinion.

xstatic said:
In that price range you aren't really going to find any difference between them. They are all about the same quality, which isn't much. I would either...

1. Save up until you can get one that can grow with you a little.....

or

2. Go ahead and just pull the trigger on whichever one your gut tells you to. In the end, you can't lose by picking any one in that price range over another. The only loss would be the $200 you just spent.

if you can get it used, you can sell it again, and not lose too much ;)

i sold some stuff the other day... turns out i made $15 on something i bought last year :eek:

but after ebay fees, that was gone... :mad:

There is nothing wrong with a Behringer ADA8000 - in a blindfold test they work OK, and the price point is right. Just make sure it works when you get it out of the box - half these units get returned for repairs.

Another option may be a Focusrite Octopre. 8 channels - more expensive, but you'd get a fair quality for a domestic rig.

Did this strike anyone else as a little humorous?

First:

lumbago said:
There is nothing wrong with a Behringer ADA8000

Then:

lumbago said:
Just make sure it works when you get it out of the box - half these units get returned for repairs.

Isn't this *proof* that there is something wrong with the ADA8000? :eek:

fraserhutch said:
you're kidding, right? Decent for $25/channel?

Why would he be? In quantities, preamp chips don't cost much, and if you're good at soldering you can build some damn nice designs for under $25/channel, including the DMP3.... :) For that matter, the Peavey PV series of mixers has excellent preamps and comes in at only about $30/channel from most online sources.

Now, granted, we aren't talking about boutique preamps here. There's no character involved. At those prices, you're going to get precise reproduction, and that's about it. Since that's what most folks want, though, I don't think expecting decent quality for $25/channel is too much to ask. Honestly, I think it's actually a bit high, given the cost of components and the relatively low cost of mass manufacturing this stuff. If Peavey can make a whole mixer with great pres for that, there's no reason in the world you couldn't build a bank of pres by themselves for significantly less than that.

Back