Purchased ADL600.

moelar2

I just purchased and plugged in my new ADL600. I guess I wanted a magic machine that would make everything sound great. But, once I snapped back into reality, I realized that what it was doing, i.e., open up the sound, expand the audio field, increase fidelity, was sufficient and well worth the $1800 I pad at GC for it. It sounds especially good on Bass...wow, it does wonders on preserving the bottom end.

But I have one problem...compression. I need it. Will I completely defeat the purpose of having an ADL if I plug my only outboard compressor, a BEHRINGER, after the ADL and before my LAYLA.

Also, the outputs on my ADL are XLR, but the inputs on my layla are TRS. I don't like that. I guess I'm just paranoid about degrading the signal because I laid down some good cash for the ADL.

I also purchased to Audix I-5. What a great, handy mic. Its basically a sm57.

moelar2 said:
I
Will I completely defeat the purpose of having an ADL if I plug my only outboard compressor, a BEHRINGER, after the ADL and before my LAYLA.
A.

:eek: :eek: YES. every piece of gear colors sound...The B-thing will change it up BIG time (not for the better)..I would skip the b-comp and do a manual ride. The TRS shouldn't matter to much....still balanced audio.

Good Luck

Why would you do that? Yes, it will screw up the sound. The tone is only as good as the weakest link in the audio chain. It is now time for a compressor of comparable quality to the ADL 600 preamp.

Yea, I figured as much. The behringer unit did what it had to when I needed it many years ago. But hey, I produced and engineered an entire album with a mackie CFX-12 mixer (a whopping $499 value!), cubase sx, a layla, and yes - behringer compressors, and the album was nominated for 3 latin grammy's back in February (and it sounded pretty good)...so go figure...

On another note...

I started tracking drums for my band today using the ADL to preamp the overheads...whoa!!! cymbals have sooo much glory now. Nice spread, nice shimmer, nice beatiful decay. I'm quite happy with my purchase.

Regarding the xlr to trs conversion...yea its not a big deal. I'm making it a big deal. but its not a big deal.

I'll say one thing though...the next time ANYONE asks "What's the best preamp under ____" and the ___ happens to be less than, say, $200, I'm gonna say get the GHOST TB101. I A/B that against the ADL and its too damn close... but you can tell a difference in the bass...although you can compensate with the TB101's relatively nice EQ.

I recommend you try the FMC audio RNC1773 --- it's $175 and I use mine with my custom made tube microphone preamp and in studios where they have an ADL600. And it hold it's own just fine...

Or.....

You got 30 days...You can take it back and get a Langevin DVC for a little less.. and has two very good limiters...and pretty cool sounding pres..Just an idea.

I suggest you take a look at the Drawmer 1968 Mercenary Edition, or maybe consider getting an API 500 lunchbox and filling it with compressors and eq. You could also look at getting a couple CraneSong Trakkers, but those are very expensive.

I'm not a big fan of the FMR RNC or RNLA. Definitely a step or two or ten above the Behringer, but not up to the level of the ADL 600 preamp or the other compressors I've mentioned above. I bought an RNLA a while back and was very underwhelmed by it. So if you need a quick fix then give it a shot, but don't expect that you are getting a $2,000 compressor for $175.

Philandon - The unit was NOT B stock. It was brand new sealed in box. I happened to know the guy who sold it to me; I've been buying stuff from him for years, plus, I worked at GC for a couple of months 5 years ago when I was in College, so I know their lingo. It was priced at $1999 but I cant it for $1800 and change after taxes.

SonicAlbert - I definitely need to man up and get a compressor that's in the same league as the ADL. The guy at GC said that I could buy an Alessis 3630 and send it to Black Lion for modification if I was pinched for money. I asked him about the RNC; he said it's a decent unit but he didn't personally like its coloration. He suggested the Alessis route b/c he said I could find those on ebay for almost nothing.

Big Kenny -- The DBX sounds interesting, but as stated above, I don't really want to skimp. I'd rather wait and buy something that is gonna be comparable to the ADL.

My 2 cents... The RNC is better sounding then the 3630 even with mods..

But I'd save for something better. Again that is why I like that DVC.. It be different if you already had a few pres and a few comps sitting around. Then maybe the ADL would be cool. But if you have no comp..then I would have gone DVC first..But since you didn't I'd just save up for something else..maybe like a Distressor.

I think plugs can sound better then a modded 3630.

You actually read my mind; I was thinking that my VST's might do the trick meanwhile. They aren't bad. Plus, I'm not a compression whore to begin with. I use it sparingly. And I don't do any "mastering" -- I leave that to the pros.

Wow, really avoid going the 3630 route. Not even close.

I have a pair of Distressors, and I think they are great. I'm not sure they are the right thing for you though, based on what you've said.

Take a look at the Drawmer 1968, CraneSong Trakker's, DBX 162SL, Neve Portico 5043 and API 500 modules. There is quite a selection out there, this just scratches the surface. Avoid cheap at all costs, but it sounds like you have your head in the right place on that already.

great suggestion. I'm reading up on it now. I won't be ready to buy for another month, so regardless, VST is gonna have man up for a while.

Doesn't Anthony Demeria(sp?) that created this beast specialize in tube compressors? Maybe you should google up his sight and check out what he has to offer.

sonic -- I did research all the units you mentioned in the prior posts. They all look great, and I'm sure they likely sound great too. I have an itch for a manley or UA.

How do you feel about the 737??

Back