• I couldn't tell the difference.

Votes: 33 27.0%

• Total voters

Neeps

Here's me in my studio (see pics in sig),

playing my Norman B20 acoustic,

that has just had a set of new D'Addario medium gauge strings,

with a .50 mm Dunlop tortex pick,

in front of two matched MSH-1 mics both approx. 10 inches from the 12th fret < 1/2 an inch apart.

One mic was sent to mystery Preamp A and the other mic was sent to mystery Preamp B . Both preamps fed into a Emu 1820m interface.

Both signals came in at roughly the same level. They were then normalised.

What do you think?

Last edited:
My guess is they are the different preamp of the same model number.
They are way to close in sound to be 2 different brand pres. The slight difference that I can sort of hear may be from unmatched mics.

Not sure, didn't really hear that much of a difference to be honest. All I know is you got a great sound from the acoustic (which is obviously a very nice guitar) and I really liked the tune. :cool:

I was affraid to be the first to write, because I´m listening on PC speakers,with poor bass and higs (and mids... :D ), but cannot note any difference too.
Tomorrow I´m coming home, and will give a look again with better condictions.

Ciro

I think 2 has a more organic sound. Everything is a tad bit tighter sounding and has a nice bounce.

1 just seems a bit "loose" to me.

Both sound pretty good, but I would use 2 for just about any production compared to one.

2 sounded a bit more thin up high but better in on the low end. It did sound a bit tighter as stated above but i personally think that either one works. The first had a bit more of a natural sound to me but the low end wasn't as defined. The differences aren't great at all, but enough to notice. I am undecided on which i like more.

I thought the transients were a little sharper on B. A was less defined. It could just be that B was pointed more at the treble strings, or as someone mentioned, the mics may not be exactly matched. Either one could work, depending on the situation.

This is a tough question actually, cause A would naturally be the usual go-to pre, and B would be the new joker in the studio. So I voted A.

Stefan Elmblad said:
This is a tough question actually, cause A would naturally be the usual go-to pre, and B would be the new joker in the studio. So I voted A.

Am I reading you wrong or are you basing your call on the psychology of preamp labeling? Or do you think that preamp A sounds like the go-to pre and preamp B sounds like the new joker.

I think I hear what Ford Van is hearing but in a different way. In comparison, A sounds open and B restricted. B sounds like the decay of the transients drops off faster. Maybe 'round' would be a good word. I think I'm hearing more detail in A.

That's some nice playing, and captured well.

I like Preamp A. Smooth HF transients and natural tone. B sounds a little more jagged in the high end to me.

A good listen and glad I stopped by.

Last edited:
Preamp B has a little bit more "sparkle" on the high end, for lack of a better term. It might be because it is a little louder, at least it seems like it is.

They must have been recorded at the same time, because at 16 seconds you can hear what sounds like a truck driving by...lol.

Nice acoustic guitar tone, either way.

Back