Portable recording rack

$a1Ty

Hey ppl,

I'm looking into getting a rack to put my 2 firepods in, and thought why not go with a bigger rack and put a headphone amp in there and a rackmount computer to boot, so that everything is in the one rack, as i do a fair amount of live recording

what are your thoughts on this and any problems with a headphone amp right under the firepods?

another question is on the rackmount case for the computer, anyone modded a desktop case to be a rackmount, as i was looking into the antec take3 rack case and its nice but expensive and modding is fun

cheers

Our audio computer guy builds rack mount stuff quite often. Typically you will end up with a 4 space case. You could also get a rack case yourself and attempt to move everything over to it.

I don't see an issue with placing a headphone amp under a Firepod.

So 7 rack spaces gets you the PC, 2 Firepods and a headphone amp. Maybe go 12 spaces or so with the rack and leave room for things like headphones and cables to be stored in the bottom?

War

I got a rackmountable ATX case on Ebay for like $54. It's pretty nice. Got it for the same reason. works very well.

$a1Ty said:
cool i was thinking a 6u rack

2 for the firepods
1 for headphone
3 for comp

I started with a 3u case but quickly switched to 4u. 3u is a pretty tight squeeze, and the extra room is good for cooling.

Also get a few more u in your case than you think you need, it always comes in handy. Rack drawers are nice to have.

Back