Peavey SP2 bi-amp

Kinda off topic, sorry. I have a pair of sp2s. I want to x them, but I have no clue. They're is a bi-amp neutrik input. I just have normal 2 channel amps and a DBX crosover. Do I need a special Peavey "bi-amp" amp to properly x these speaks?

You can make a cable assembly as follows:

Materials:
1 Neutrik NL4 connector
2 Neutrik NL2 connectors, or what ever your amp has on it's outputs
2 lengths of speaker cable to go from amps to speaker

Connect both pieces of cable to the NL4, 1 to 1+/-, the other to 2+/-. This plugs into the biamp jack on the Peavey. The one connected to 2+/- goes to your high amp, 1+/- goes to your low amp.

You need one of these for each box. If you run more than one box per amp channel, use banana plugs at the amp end, and stack them.

note- pay attention to how your amp outputs are wired if it uses Speakon outs. For instance, if your amp uses 1+/- for it's outputs, the cable that drives your highs will be 1+/- at the amp end, and 2+/- at the speaker end. Make sure you label which one goes where. I just mark them HI and LOW.

Alternate method:

Materials:

1 rack space panel loaded with 2 NL4 panel-mount connectors
2 short pieces of speaker cable
1 long piece of four conductor speaker cable
2 male NL4

The assembly is the same, but your amp outputs run to the panel and connect to the NL4 there. Then you make an NL4-NL4 speaker cable to go from the panel to the box. Same end result. Less hassle, but more money up front. You could have the panel loaded with XLR or 1/4" for your amp or crossover inputs as well.

You can use this method "on the cheap" if you skip the panel and just let the panel-mount connector dangle. Neutrik makes a back boot for just this purpose to cover up the exposed wires.

Back