Patchbays

MCI2424

I need a patchbay that is switchable from balanced to unbalanced inputs/outputs. If I have a mic pre that is balanced I want to be able to convert from balanced in to unbalanced out without the 6db loss. It must be active. Also, if I have an unbalanced input (RNP/RNC) I want to be able to convert the input form unbalanced to balanced to go to a balanced tape machine's inputs.

So, inputs and outputs to this patchbay have to be switchable through active circuits.

Am I just dreaming?

A Fostex 16 channel Tape Machine has 16 unbalanced ins and 16 unbalanced outs, so buying 32 channels of unbalanced to bal anced converters is too expensive.

Also I would like to configure the patchbay remotely through a GUI (probably MIDI)

i guess i'm not understanding why you need active circuits.

you can either use transformers or tie (-) and ground together or float the ground depending on whether the nature of balanced out. i think it's float the ground... i'm surprised i'm not electrocuted...so check this info out...or someone pipe in.

also is your fostex +4? you might want that - 6dB loss from balanced output to unbalanced input.

remember the dangers of running micpres thru your patchbay...48V issues...

i have no clue what the GUI thing is about.

it sounds like what you are trying to do costs way more than a a couple level switching boxes.

Half baked,
Mike

First of all, what you are talking about would be very very expensive. It might very well exist, but again it will be mind-numbingly expensive. Especially remote controlled through a computer based GUI.

As Mike suggested, you'd probably be better of figuring this out using level switching boxes. You'd use a regular balanced patchbay and do the level switching before or after it, depending on the gear. It wouldn't be remotely controlled, but it would be practical and a heck of a lot more affordable.

Back