Patchbay compression channels

SamIam89

Hi
I'm not sure if what I want to do is quite possible. On our live mixer, we have sixteen regularly used channels and we have a two channel compressor. Since every week the two channes that we want to compress are different, I was going to to run a cable to each of the 16 inserts to the patchbay. Then run the insert points from each compressor to the patchbay, therefore I would patch the stereo cable from each compressor to whichever channel I wanted. The problem (I'm thinking) is that the other 14 channels, with inserts pushed al the way in, will be silenced, correct? So would I need to make 1/4" shorted out jacks to plug in the unused channels on the patchbay to complete the circuit on each channel?

Thanks.

This is quite possible. However you'd want to use Y cables (TRS to the inserts jacks, TS for send and return at the patchbay) instead of regular 1/4" cables. That way the channels aren't cut off to the mains. That's not gonna be cheap.

If you have the patchbays normalled, the channels will NOT be silent. It does seem like a lot of extra cable to buy, just to patch two channels of compression. In those instances, I just get a couple long insert cables and just plug them in where needed. (up to 4 or 6 inserts)

Why are you using inserts for this? Couldn't you just assign whichever two channels you need compressed to a stereo buss, send that through the compressor, and then return it to the board? There would be no need to repatch anything.

Hmm thanks everybody. SonicAlbert, your're idea makes much more sense than mine and costs next to nothing. Thanks!

If you plan to add gear in the future, having them all on the patchbay is a VERY good idea. It makes recording so much easier. It takes away horrible cable swapping time, and allows you to stay in the moment of the recording session with very little interruption. Especially if you plan to add more compressors/eq's in the future. It will make using them easy and effortless.

Back