Old Tube Compressors

Jillchaw

Ive been looking at getting an old tube compressor like an Altec or a Gates Sta-Level. Does anyone have any experience using one of these two that you can give me info on? Im trying to get sort of a Joe Meek style bass and drum sound.

I've had a bunch of vintage Altec gear. Got rid of all of it. It's like an old car, too much work to get them up and running and too narrow an application to be worth it, IMO.

I'll catch a ration of shit for this, but it's my opinion.

Not sure what you mean by a "JoeMeek type of bass and drum sound", but I use a JoeMeek VC1Q that I like. It's about 5 years old or something, but it works for me.

oh yeah

And i dont think you suck for crapping on altec stuff. Alot of people have told me that they get more credit than they deserve for being green and kinda cool looking.

Besides, i dont know what compressors Joe used on bass. I only know he had a few altecs. I dont know exactly what he used them on.

What about refurbed Altecs? Like from Vintage Loop or whatever? Do you think those would work well?

umm....can anyone even afford a gates even if you could find it?? I think they re-issued it...

Back