is it OK to just connect 1 speaker to my hifi amp?

earworm

i heard a few people say that you must never turn an amp on when there are no speakers connected, to me thats a golden rule when i work with guitar/bass heads and cabinets,
but i'm not sure about hifi and PA amps, some people told me it doesnt matter...

there are two things i'd like to do,
i've got a hifi amp and one nice hifi speaker that i want to use for monitoring when i'm recording, i do have two studio monitors in my room but i want this one extra speaker for listening to solo channels, no stereo needed, only for a quick listen, not to do entire mixes on of course,
can i just connect it to the left output?

second thing: i've got a little PA amp and one monitor, for the singer of our band,,,do hifi and PA amps act in the same way?

thanks,

j

it's fine to have an amp on with no speakers

you just dont want to, persay, have a signal running into it and crank up the volume without a speaker plugged in

you should be fine if you have different volume controls for the left and right sides...

orksnork said:
it's fine to have an amp on with no speakers

you just dont want to, persay, have a signal running into it and crank up the volume without a speaker plugged in

you should be fine if you have different volume controls for the left and right sides...

yep.....most tranny amps can run with little or no load (ie spkr)...ensure that your balance control is facing towards the speaker you have plugged in,....

by the way.....don't ever do this with any valve amp, they must have a 'load' attached to them (ie spkr)....messy things result.
Regards.

Back