Need Help Fast!!! Alesis HD24 input problems

qbert1

Hello,
I rented a Alesis HD24 for a live recording gig tomorrow as a back up. I'm testing it out to get ready for the gig. It won't recognise any analog input. I know the signal is getting to the end of the cable, but the Alesis isn't listening - or at least it's not showing it on the meter. Is there a secret to this machine I should know?

thanks in advance

Input Select button

Lifted from P.39 of the manual:

A single INPUT SELECT button (just below the
display) selects what source will be recorded: the
ANALOG or DIGITAL input. The currently selected
input source is indicated in the lower left corner of
the display.
When INPUT SELECT is set to ANALOG, the HD24
looks to the 1/4” analog inputs on the rear panel
for its inputs. When INPUT SELECT is set to DIGITAL,
the HD24 gets its input from the ADAT Optical
Digital Inputs.

Thanks, but I already tried that. I should have included it in the original post. Sorry

STILL NEED HELP!!!!

Forget the name of the guy I talked to, but when I first got my HD24 I had a minor reset issue, and they talked me through it over the phone, about a 10-minute conversation and the problem was solved. Don't know how late they are up, but I basically did a "system reboot" by pressing a couple of buttons while powering up (after powering down). Really wish I could remember the sequence, but I'll bet that would work :( :confused:

Are you sure you're monitoring the inputs?
If the blue light below the meter isn't on, then you're metering hte output, not the input.

I severly doubt that you aren't getting the analouge signal.
Try pressing hte "all input" button to switch all meters to monitor the input signal.

If that doesn't solve your problem, then I guess there is a chance that the IO boards aren't correctly seated.

Try playing something back and listening to the output. Are you getting anything out of the Line outs?

If your IO boards aren't seated properly, then there is a chance that you won't get any analouge input (although I'm fairly sure that the unit won't boot with the IO boards not plugged in).
To check, goto the alesis site and find the manual for the EC-1 add-on kit- it describes how to open the unit and seat the boards correctly.

I would give you the URL but I'm busy ATM, will check back when I get home in a couple of hours.

Crud

Thanks Crud,

I did try the "all input" feature with no luck. I also checked to see if the signal was passing through - still nothing. In the morning I'll check back to see if you found the "seating" procedure. I'll look too. That may be the cause. The Alesis was shipped to me via UPS. They are bruisers according to insider friends.

You guys are awesome, thanks for the quick responses. Still in need of help!!!

Did it work before you rented it? I mean did you test it before you walked out the door with it? That would let you know if it's your setup or the HD24 itself.

I'd say, unhook everything and completely start over. Follow the manual for the proper settings for inputs and monitoring.

Did you set up a song without enough channels? Try to create a new song with all 24 tracks enabled. Arm the tracks and test to see if anything is getting to the HD24. If not, I'd suggest you take it back and get another one that works in the store before you walk out with it.

P. 22 of the manual says you can set the input mode by holding down input select until it reads "SELECT AUDIO INPUT TRACKS". You should then be able to press the track select button # 13 or higher to make the 24 inputs hear their own inputs. Try that.

Also, There may be a padlock icon on the display. If it is unlocked it should allow changes to the song. If it is locked, you must unlock it. The way you do this is to use the L/R arrow keys to move the cursor to the padlock (or as close to it as possible) and press the U/D arrow keys to make the lock open and close.

I think that's the way. It's been a while since I did that.

The HD24 is a beautiful machine. It's a shame you're having so much trouble. I guess the renter before you made it more of a puzzle than a recorder. Too bad. I hope you get it working.

Thanks for all the help everyone. It turned out to be an unplugged ribbon cable on the A/D card inside the unit. Once replugged, it performed flawlessly. The gig went well.

hey - not that homerecording doesn't rule...but check out the hd24 group at yahoo. awesome resource.

i LOVE the hd24!

Mike

yeah those things are a bitch with the stupid ribbons, I bought mine brand new. Never had the input problem like that, When I first powered up it kept saying (HD load failed, check the jumper cable). After swapping it to all positions it still didn't work, so I put it in the right jumper slot and turned it backwards

WHAAAALLLLAAAAA!!!! works great...... You'd thought they'd have put it in the right slot at the factory....

I bought mine off ebay new in a sealed box. The only complaints I have are the midi jacks are a bit flimzy. And my LRC fastforwards when it's supposed to rewind sometimes but, I usually don't use it since the HD24 is at my fingertips. Still a freaking awesome machine though.

Thanks for all the help everyone. It turned out to be an unplugged ribbon cable on the A/D card inside the unit. Once replugged, it performed flawlessly. The gig went well.

Talk about reviving old threads... :)

I answered a Craigslist ad for one of these. The ad said the unit didn't work. The guy wanted $200. I had just read this post here and figured I'd buy it and see if it worked. So I offered him $150. He accepted. As soon as I got it home I opened her up and found, not a ribbon cable, but one of the boards came loose. It made sense because he said they moved it around a lot to record band live. The icing on the cake, it's an XR version. And the hard drives were new with lots more memory than the stock ones. A craigslist score for sure. I have another non-XR version I just bought for $270, also in perfect condition. My point? Had I not read this post when I did I would've steered clear of the XR. This place rocks!

Back