Multi-channel compressor

ElDangeroso

I need a multi-channel compressor to use as inserts to tame transients and add a touch of punch when I record drums. Here's the set up:
Kick: Senn e602
Snare: sm57
OH: 2x Oktava mk-012's xy pattern
into Q10 Sonar PE 3.11

Would a cheap Behringer 4600 be allright for this purpose? I'm all for your recommendations up to $400.00

Thanks

Chad

you listed 4 mics so i guess you're looking for at least 4 channels.

i would suggest getting 2 FMR RNC's and then the Funklogic rack face for them. They work alright on drums. I usually like the soft knee mode better and use it with vocals.

The FMR RNC is a stereo compresor, not dual mono. I can't see why you'd want to compress the overheads so a nice stereo/dual mono comp is what you're looking for to take the kick and snare.

Off hand Drawmer and Dbx spring to mind. I'm sure you'll get a lot more suggestions. I'm in the UK so not up on $$$ prices.

Go for one VLA and one RNC so your not adding up haze on the drum. The VLA has a limiter on it and a gate so put those on the kick and snare because it will have the most transients and the RNC is transparent enough where the OH won't damage the hf by adding alot of artifacts some of the cheaper models will.

SoMm

For a little more than $400 you can have 8 channels of optical compression in one 2 space unit. That way you can expand in the future. The SMPro OC-8 will not color your sound like conventional compressors do because it uses the optical method to trigger compression. I found a guy in Portland, OR who sells them at a discount.

Good Luck.

Back