MPA Gold Results

2000Z28M6

My new ART MPA Gold arrived today, I immediately swapped both tubes out with Ruby 12AX7A C Tubes, they are still Chinese but better quality control. At least thats what I found from online info.

I took a look at the stockers, real junk. The rubys had way better construction appearance. I was too lazy to A/B the stockers vs. the RUbys, so no chance to compare.

Before i received this pre i was using the preamps on the beri's mixer( almost a joke). Decent, Not too noisy, but no warmth or character, just kind of bland.

The MPA gold was a night and day difference for me.

My Masterbilt acoustic sounds awesome, I used a small condenser AT ATM33a, warm and very smooth tone with clear highs.

The vocals bigger difference.... ALot less compression needed in post processing, vocals just cut thru the mix; even dry without any processing.Used the At4040 ran it hot but I see it likes to run a little hot.

The electric guitar was fuller and more defined, SM58 run hot as it will go before clipping, I prefer that sound on gtr.

We laid some vocals on a little jam I was playing around with. Very simple stuff but sounds nice and I love that it requires very little post processing. Seems I was able to get a bigger sound overall. I'm very happy with the Unit.

Last edited:
Sounds nice...such clear recordings. Big bass sounds.

Was it easy to replace the tubes?

Thanks - ONly the vocals on "so sweet" are thru the ART. The other jam was done all thru the beri and a AT small condenser, not bad huh? :P Lots of post processing though.

"So sweet" jam required very little EQ, very little COMP, and just a tad of Verb.

Replacing the tubes was a snap. Really straight forward just be gentle with the sockets when removing and installing.

Tools - a screw driver.

I was laying down some clean electric gtr last night and I cant believe how good it sounds. Hard to describe, you just need to audition one.:)

Last edited:
The vocals in the second track actually sound bigger, but not nessesarily better... The whole "so Sweet" mix sounds tighter... but it's really hard to determine how different the two preamps sound when comparing a processed track in a mix...

I will say that both tracks are a testiment to the theory that preamps aren't nearly as important as the room, placement, and production... You've got a good sound there...

The vocals in the second track actually sound bigger, but not nessesarily better.

Yea they do, but my gosh talk bout work, I had to level each phrase, sometimes each word. I had to compress alot and really work with them...
And while the second jam is essentially done. THe other was done on the fly to test the unit.

I will say that both tracks are a testiment to the theory that preamps aren't nearly as important as the room, placement, and production... You've got a good sound there...

Thanks Man, thats a great compliment coming from a fellow board member...and your right in the end a good ear and knowing how to work your gear gets you a long way....

But I really love how much easier it is to capture a good sound from the start.

I think I want one more Pre and One More Mic....more more. more...:p never ends huh?

The thing is, the MPA really is a *great* preamp. I have a few really nice pre's, but I choose my MPA with the Telefunken AX7's in it probably 33% of the time anyway just because I like the way it sounds. I also agree though that the room sound, placement and production probably trump the preamp quality so long as some kind of minimum quality is assumed.

Frank

My new ART MPA Gold arrived today, I immediately swapped both tubes out with Ruby 12AX7A C Tubes, they are still Chinese but better quality control. At least thats what I found from online info.
I took a look at the stockers, real junk. The rubys had way better construction appearance. I was too lazy to A/B the stockers vs. the RUbys, so no chance to compare.

Before i received this pre i was using the preamps on the beri's mixer( almost a joke). Decent, Not too noisy, but no warmth or character, just kind of bland.

The MPA gold was a night and day difference for me.

My Masterbilt acoustic sounds awesome, I used a small condenser AT ATM33a, warm and very smooth tone with clear highs.

The vocals bigger difference.... ALot less compression needed in post processing, vocals just cut thru the mix; even dry without any processing.Used the At4040 ran it hot but I see it likes to run a little hot.

The electric guitar was fuller and more defined, SM58 run hot as it will go before clipping, I prefer that sound on gtr.

We laid some vocals on a little jam I was playing around with. Very simple stuff but sounds nice and I love that it requires very little post processing. Seems I was able to get a bigger sound overall. I'm very happy with the Unit.
Im a bit confused why you would change tubes BEFORE even trying it? And the site of the new Chinese tube manufacturer stated better QC? There are some people to trust..remember the dogfood ?, lead paint in kids toys?And they "look" like they are buily better? Go into detail please.

I agree if you're going from one set of Chinese AX7's to another, but not if you're going from the stock pair to a set of '64 Telefunken AX7's. There's a big difference there...not the least bit subtle.

Frank

First of do you have an MPA ? Have you seen the stock tubes?

Secondly I already had the Rubys from a previous preamp, so it's not like I went out threw more money down.

Yes the Rubys are Chinese, but one look at them and you can see it's a better quality tube. The stockers look like they have plastic inside of them or some composite material. In the rubys it's no doubt its metal.

I was going to A/B them against the stock but I got lazy.

Here's a pic of the stockers just so you can get and idea and maybe you will quit flamming cuz I put the rubys in. Never did I say I got the rubys cuz I wanted that chinese tube sound. Dude.!

Here's pic BTW...
3288541783_8a3f20a20f_b.jpg

Flammer?? All I'm saying is why change the tubes without trying it first,that would be the lazy was! You know what I mean...not changing the tubes. I think at times people hear with their eyes instead of their ears.Hey I'm guilty also at times. But I have my doubts the replacement tubes are any better.A Telefunken>?????Then yes. Have I tried an ART...uh yes and I sold it and I live in Rochester NY where they are made. They were very good on service I must say.I do have an ART pro Vla, dont like that either to be truthfull.Never use it. If it works for you great...I mean the new tubes, but it's kind of like "I'm playing an 60's strat and I know it sounds better than a reissue".Something I do not believe as I sold vintage guitars for many many years. Now, I USED to believe it, but I heard with my eyes1 The old guitars just look cool. But back to tubes.If you went for some of the Telefunki tubes,then we;d be talking.
Jim

I gotta say, as someone who used the MPA Gold with the stock tubes for a while then "splurged" (in my economy) on NOS Mullards, there's a difference, and I like the Mullards. I had JJ's as well, cleaner than stock and OK, like I said. The stock ones weren't AWFUL (it's not a bad unit off the shelf) but you can do better. I had a Pro VLA as well, tube change out didn't do as much and I'm selling mine since I upgraded to a Drawmer 1968. I just never use the VLA anymore. ALL THAT BEING SAID, a lot of people get drawn into how this thing sounds like it's an instrument. It's not. It's not a Solo610 or Great River either. It's a tube pre that sounds great for the money, better with GOOD tubes, and once they're in, you can forget about them and make music.

Jmorris just forget what I said, i guess I just got a little irritated. But honestly man I cant afford telefunkens right now and the rubys are doin fine for now.

Back