Mic pres for the road?

JoeBannon

I'm looking for a good mic pre to take on the road. Recommendations?

Something I can mount in my road case, built in compressor would be good too. Only one channel, used for vocals.

Last edited:
What mic pre isn't small enough to take with you? :confused:

For what kind of music and venue? With a good road case, you can take nearly anything on the road, although I might be inclined to leave tube mic pres at home as they are a bit more delicate.

pohaku said:
For what kind of music and venue? With a good road case, you can take nearly anything on the road, although I might be inclined to leave tube mic pres at home as they are a bit more delicate.

Rock, any venue. Nothing studio quality, but sounds good.

I do have a road case I use, a few actually.

I think the RNP can run off a car battery. I might have made that up. I am pretty sure the RND can run off a car battery. I was thinking about getting a 6-space lunchbox for "portable" preamps though.

JoeBannon said:
No doubt, but I don't want to take our neves with us.

Ah good point. ;)

If you want to go really cheap, the DMP-3 is nice, and I've heard a lot of good things about the RNP, but I think that's around $300-$400?

How many channels are you needing? :confused:

One channel for now. Something rack mount so I can put it in my case.

Now that I think about it, I'd like to find something with a compressor as well.

RNP/RNC (or 2 RNCs if you need 2 independent channels of compression). Should be fine for rock and relatively inexpensive. There is probably also a Meek pre/comp that would work for you, but I'm not all that familiar with their stuff.

Check out:

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/mm1master.htm

or for preamp alone without built in monitoring:

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/mp1master.htm

or for two channels:

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/mx2master.htm

The Sound Devices gear is ruggedly built and designed for battery powered use in field recording while maintaining high quality audio standards. All the units include transformered inputs, selectable 48/12V phantom power, selectable on board limiter and high pass filtering before the active imput stage.

Cheers,

Otto

JoeBannon said:
I'm looking for a good mic pre to take on the road. Recommendations?

Something I can mount in my road case, built in compressor would be good too. Only one channel, used for vocals.

Go with the Neve Portico. Great sounding. You will never have to replace it.

when something isn't rack mount...and there isn't a kit for it

buy a 1 space rack tray and some industrial double stick tape...

i've used the stuff for homemade pedal boards that i stomp on running acrossed a stage and never had anything come loose.

and if you want any SERIOUS help here...
please post a budget...or we can sit here all day and list every single preamp that is on the market

orksnork said:
and if you want any SERIOUS help here...
please post a budget...or we can sit here all day and list every single preamp that is on the market

Read my post man, I'm only seeking recommendations... not a list of what's on the market.

Back